• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:13 AM

I'm just going to come out and say that I think this is the best IS Medium at the moment, and possibly the best Medium overall. I think it's better than the Assassin and Bushy by a hair, and it's neck and neck with the Vapor Eagle.

Ive been pretty stunned by this little 40 tonner's performance. Its agility is better than most Lights (on par with the Flea) and takes a crap on every other Medium aside from a Viper w/ set-of-8. It's very XL friendly and can spread damage like a champ. Everything about driving this mech *feels* good: there's no sluggishness or sense of struggling to turn or accelerate, it just goes where you want it to go.

And objectively my stats seem to bear this out, easily averaging >4 KDR and 2+kills, >600dmg per match. An SRM Assassin does similar in my hands, but the Vulcan is more versatile with longer ranged weapons. It's one of the few mechs in which I feel as comfortable fighting a Light as I do an Assault.

I'm really surprised that I don't see more of these in matches, because IMO this is an elite-tier chassis, almost godly.

Edited by Kubernetes, 03 April 2019 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

Bloodlust is also good, I think it's better than Assassins.

But yeah MPL 5t is pretty much my favorite mech at the moment.

edit: Bought 5M also for 2 LPL be annoying build and it's pretty damn good also, can't do same kind of burst DPS but grinding enemies away slowly :P

Edited by Curccu, 03 April 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:31 AM

I've considered getting one and using a derpy HPPC + 3 ML build, as I don't really like having purely CQB builds (I don't like waiting around behind cover during the early poke phase of the match, I want to actually be able to do things before the brawl phase commences).

#4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

bought one when they were on sale last time, but haven't gotten much chance to bring it to FW since then,
and I rarely do QP.
but was quite amazed by the mobility these suckers got. really itchin' to give it a bit of playtime. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 03 April 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#5 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

All of the vulcans are fun for one reason or another except the 2T and 5M are kinda meh. 5T is basically a jumping wolfhound (though because the wolf has armor quirks and the vulcan has structure quirks the wolfy is more of a medium than the vulcan is). Bloodlust though was my favorite until the great AMSpocalypse - I hate waiting for that one mech with 2-3 quirked ams to invalidate my existence. All the others are still interesting in their own niche way - the 5S is a riot with a large bore UAC and I killed more than a few surprised heavies in single combat with that one, the 6M has both a nice general cooldown quirk making it nice for heavy ppc use or medium autocannons while its reduced crit taking quirk its tankier than its siblings.

#6 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

I like it. Good agility, decent hitboxes. I still die to CT death more than STs, but that's my lack of twisting.

#7 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

It is super Solid. Very agile, jumpy and decent hitboxs. Can pull like 700 damage without much effort. I enjoy it but it's become meta. So might get a little nerf soon.

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

It's pretty good.

I'm not a light pilot, anything that goes faster than 100km/h seems to totally disagree with me... Even I managed 600dmg games first few times I played it. Not a bad mech at all.

The ASN and similar do play different however as the Vulcan is more of a psuedo light than a med.

#9 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 03 April 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

...So might get a little nerf soon.

Well, when you guys beg like this, I can see how it will be hard for Chris to leave it be. Oh look, he has two "balance passes" scheduled for the next two months on the road map. If I had to bet, I'd say kiss that medium laser heat gen quirk and ~ half the structure quirks, good bye.

#10 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

They shouldnt nerf the Vulcan, they should make its performance the baseline for how other Mediums should move. It's one of the best mechs in terms of feel since the engine desync. I really hate the feel of many mechs, as if they're struggling so hard just to turn or torso twist. A war machine should be a high performance machine, not a garbage truck with guns.

#11 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:33 PM

It is indeed a fine mech and my favorite medium. It's just a really good blend of firepower, speed, agility, and durability. I run mine with 1lpl and 4ml because I like having the extra range.

#12 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

Def have to agree on agility. All mediums need a moderate or big boost to agility.

#13 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:22 PM

The vulCAN is truely a beautiful mech and is what I do the most in quick play. Watched my boy Reckless doing and I blame him for getting me hooked. That torso speed and agility make this mech 'feel' right to me and I absolutely love it.

#14 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostCurccu, on 03 April 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

edit: Bought 5M also for 2 LPL be annoying build and it's pretty damn good also, can't do same kind of burst DPS but grinding enemies away slowly Posted Image

That is one build the ASN-101 does better. The LPL are mounted so high in the side torsos that the enemy never sees you hill peek.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users