#21 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:21 PM

View PostLurm God, on 23 April 2019 - 05:12 AM, said:

I like 1v1 and 2v2 Posted Image

There is nothing wrong with 1v1 and 2v2 . I bet if we only got FFA and nothing else , we would have moaned for a 1v1 .

My question is why not have as many game options as possible including FFA . I first experienced Solaris in MW4 and that was an FFA and i really really enjoyed that .

#22 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:34 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 23 April 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

There is nothing wrong with 1v1 and 2v2 . I bet if we only got FFA and nothing else , we would have moaned for a 1v1 .

My question is why not have as many game options as possible including FFA . I first experienced Solaris in MW4 and that was an FFA and i really really enjoyed that .

Because with a declining active player arc you cannot continue to add "buckets". The solaris rebranding did cause a short upward trend it appears on the steam charts which justified it at the time. The trend then unfortunately continued. I imagine if the FFA bucket was added despite them telling us it was not viable it would be the same trend. I personally prefer them overhauling faction and not doing FFA. I honestly think solaris was reasonably well and am very happy with the game mode. It does have a little fluff that could be trimmed. The divisions were a bit rough to start with as the "knowledgeable pilots", they used were unaware of how powerful autocannons were. These days there are only a few outliers which I think is mostly unavoidable.

#23 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:35 AM

Only a very small minority asked for 1v1 (not even 2v2). Although, that minority was very very vocal.
The vast majority doesn't gave a crap about solaris (and still doesn't gives a crap unless there is an event going).
Combine that with PGI's vision to turn a battletech simulator game into an esport game (haHAA).

#24 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:54 AM

View PostBloodwitch, on 24 April 2019 - 04:35 AM, said:

Only a very small minority asked for 1v1 (not even 2v2). Although, that minority was very very vocal.
The vast majority doesn't gave a crap about solaris (and still doesn't gives a crap unless there is an event going).
Combine that with PGI's vision to turn a battletech simulator game into an esport game (haHAA).

The vast majority prefer a game mode where everyone mindlessly nascars around the middle of the map and then yells at their teammates when they lose.

Some of us prefer game modes like Solaris & Faction warfare. It gets annoying when the biggest argument against the other game modes is "no one cares, I don't play it, therefore it doesn't matter".

I don't care if you don't play 1v1, I play 1v1 and I enjoy it. You go play in your sandbox, I'll play in mine.

#25 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:53 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 24 April 2019 - 05:54 AM, said:

The vast majority prefer a game mode where everyone mindlessly nascars around the middle of the map and then yells at their teammates when they lose.

Some of us prefer game modes like Solaris & Faction warfare. It gets annoying when the biggest argument against the other game modes is "no one cares, I don't play it, therefore it doesn't matter".

I don't care if you don't play 1v1, I play 1v1 and I enjoy it. You go play in your sandbox, I'll play in mine.

The Solaris fanbase that plays does so regularly.
If only a bit of advertising could help the population....

#26 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 24 April 2019 - 06:53 AM, said:

The Solaris fanbase that plays does so regularly.
If only a bit of advertising could help the population....

Ya, if only solaris would be as much advertised as the rest of the game.. oh wait.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
I'd say it's not for a lack of advertising.
The Solaris fanbase is almost noexistence. Face reality.
This is not a diss on preference. This is an evaluation as a whole.
Solaris is a ghosttown. For multiple reasons.
It is extremely niecey.
You do not only have the right mechs (each season) you also need the right loadout and skillnodes.
What's worse, quickplay and solaris block each other as they require different mechs.
Super new player friendly, would que again.

Not to mention that the division system and queue system is a disaster.
Not even remotely mentioning bugs, missing chat, missing voip and all the other jazz.

View PostDionnsai, on 24 April 2019 - 05:54 AM, said:

The vast majority prefer a game mode where everyone mindlessly nascars around the middle of the map and then yells at their teammates when they lose. Some of us prefer game modes like Solaris & Faction warfare. It gets annoying when the biggest argument against the other game modes is "no one cares, I don't play it, therefore it doesn't matter". I don't care if you don't play 1v1, I play 1v1 and I enjoy it. You go play in your sandbox, I'll play in mine.

Your counterargument for "no one cares, I don't play it, therefore it doesn't matter" is
I care, i play it, therefore it does matter.
As a whole, solaris bombed big time.

Considering it needs time and money to develop it, i'd say it's better spent on a gamemode which the majority actually wants to play. FFA might be dumb, there might be issues with dodging and whatnot but FFA games are stupidly popular. Fortnite, Pubg, Ring of elysium.. all FFA games, all stupidly popular despite that literally hiding in a bush for an hour is a valid game tactic.

You also ignore the fact that the vast majority would rather nascar in quickplay then then doing super elaborrated div1 anni turreting. Or srm bombing 10Q in div2.
Both are equally as braindamaged as nascar is.

Edited by Bloodwitch, 24 April 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#27 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

enough talk, come fight me bro!

#28 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

View PostDionnsai, on 24 April 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

enough talk, come fight me bro!

*insert "wanna fight" meme here*
could have used that attitude yesterday when i was sitting in 2v2 queue for 2 hours to get 11 games in.

Edited by Bloodwitch, 24 April 2019 - 11:04 PM.

#29 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:51 AM

Its not lack of advertisment. Its lack of possibilities.

Take that good mech in that division or loose. Thats it. Boring as ****, especially Divisions with Assaults. 2 slow ******* shooting in their face.

More fun are lower divisions with more variety. Dont get me wrong, Solaris is nice, but not like that. These meta stuff has to go.

#30 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:36 AM

View PostBloodwitch, on 24 April 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

Ya, if only solaris would be as much advertised as
I'd say it's not for a lack of advertising.
The Solaris fanbase is almost noexistence. Face reality.
This is not a diss on preference. This is an evaluation as a whole.
Solaris is a ghosttown. For multiple reasons.
It is extremely niecey.
You do not only have the right mechs (each season) you also need the right loadout and skillnodes.
What's worse, quickplay and solaris block each other as they require different mechs.
Super new player friendly, would que again.

Not to mention that the division system and queue system is a disaster.
Not even remotely mentioning bugs, missing chat, missing voip and all the other jazz.

Your counterargument for "no one cares, I don't play it, therefore it doesn't matter" is
I care, i play it, therefore it does matter.
As a whole, solaris bombed big time.

Considering it needs time and money to develop it, i'd say it's better spent on a gamemode which the majority actually wants to play. FFA might be dumb, there might be issues with dodging and whatnot but FFA games are stupidly popular. Fortnite, Pubg, Ring of elysium.. all FFA games, all stupidly popular despite that literally hiding in a bush for an hour is a valid game tactic.

You also ignore the fact that the vast majority would rather nascar in quickplay then then doing super elaborrated div1 anni turreting. Or srm bombing 10Q in div2.
Both are equally as braindamaged as nascar is.

I didn't say it was advertised less than other game modes and I was referring to the game as a whole.
t is extremely niecey.
You do not only have the right mechs (each season) you also need the right loadout and skillnodes" you realize you just described every mode right? I get a little less so in quick play cuz that's where EVERY mech grandpa and potato play but it is still necessary.
Scouting mode is even less populated but people still play it. The whole game is a population issue unfortunately. So just because YOU don't play it doesn't mean no one does.
There is more than srm cyclops and Anni shenanigans in every division.

View PostBloodwitch, on 24 April 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

could have used that attitude yesterday when i was sitting in 2v2 queue for 2 hours to get 11 games in.

Played for hours yesterday got match after match

#31 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

View PostBishop Six, on 25 April 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

Its not lack of advertisment. Its lack of possibilities.

Take that good mech in that division or loose. Thats it. Boring as ****, especially Divisions with Assaults. 2 slow ******* shooting in their face.

More fun are lower divisions with more variety. Dont get me wrong, Solaris is nice, but not like that. These meta stuff has to go.

You could have 22 divisions, each division will still have a meta. You're not going to change that. If you don't like the meta, build something to break it. For every "meta mech" in every division, there is something that can beat it, even the Annihilator.

The truth is tho, alot of the "boring as ****" pilots are people who look good in a team-play environment, but when you put them in a one on one, they just fall short. Easier to blame the meta for their shortcomings (since they don't have a team to blame) then to blame their own lack of ability and improvement.

And here is the real thing. If there IS a meta, and both pilots are in the same mech, you get to go head to head with that guy and see who is best in a truly equal environment. Do they shoot better than you, do you position better than they do? There's nowhere else in this game where I've had the opportunity to stare down pilots like Grolsch, rasputin, lurm god, yondu, even ******* Bowser 1 on 1 and see if I can come out on top.

View PostBloodwitch, on 24 April 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

I stream my matches live in Solaris almost daily, come snipe me sometime. =D

https://www.twitch.tv/dionnsai

Also note, I have been regularly streaming my matches for quite awhile now, and anyone who watches me knows, I have regularly had matches at pretty much all times of day with very little effort. If there is a dead moment at a particularly low time of day, I flip over, drop a quickplay match, then come back.

Edited by Dionnsai, 25 April 2019 - 04:59 AM.

#32 Flesh Gunship

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:42 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 23 April 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

My words exactly. I really don't get why we should choose between one game mode and another. I don't get why ppl complain even the idea of getting to play ffa (it comes from older mechwarriors and, since those games were loved, it's reasonable to see it online with proper rule fixing). I don't get why the discussion turned into a solaris 1v1 and 2v2 rant (with a good reason concerning advertisement of the mode over the rest of the game, and a ridiculous one concerning a generic "meta hate").

Older mechwarriors had it, it's a mode that is being very popular (for how much longer?) in the so called battle royale games, I don't see why it shouldn't be put in mwo too. At the end of the day, you get to play the same game in a different way, with a new environment and a new meta, and that could also get new or ex players. So, why not?

Edited by Flesh Gunship, 25 April 2019 - 06:09 AM.

#33 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:02 AM

It would be fun and all but PGI said they either won't put the man hours into making it or the engine can't handle it (???).

#34 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

My guess would be like many things in the current game engine, it's coded around a 2 team setup, red team blue team and anything bigger than that would require them to dig deep and re-code a large amount.

#35 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:58 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 25 April 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

My guess would be like many things in the current game engine, it's coded around a 2 team setup, red team blue team and anything bigger than that would require them to dig deep and re-code a large amount.

FFA might be a future selling point for MW5. I highly doubt they would add a solaris mode for it, seen how hard it flopped for MWO.

#36 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:26 AM

Instead of letting the timer run out, flood the arena with lava, cook the mechs and see who dies first

#37 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 26 April 2019 - 04:26 AM, said:

Instead of letting the timer run out, flood the arena with lava, cook the mechs and see who dies first

Like the lava on hibernal rift? Posted Image

#38 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:27 AM

Seems like that would kill all the people who were battered and fighting first, and let the ones who were fresh because they hid and ran the whole time linger and last out the clock.

#39 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 26 April 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

Seems like that would kill all the people who were battered and fighting first, and let the ones who were fresh because they hid and ran the whole time linger and last out the clock.

Yep, that's how Battle royal games are played.
Mind you, this is not about if or if not battle royal is a "good" mode.
It's about if it's a mode people want to play.
FFA and Battle royal games are fairly popular, that's a given.

If there are actually enough current players to even support the gamemode, or if the gamemode would actually generate an influx of new players are entirely different questions.

For all we know, the "we want FFA" faction might actually be as small, if not smaller then the "we want solaris" faction.
Just because it is requested doesn't mean there are enough players behind it.

#40 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostBloodwitch, on 26 April 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

For all we know, the "we want FFA" faction might actually be as small, if not smaller then the "we want solaris" faction.
Just because it is requested doesn't mean there are enough players behind it.

By definition, the "We want FFA" faction would be a subset of the We want Solaris" faction, therefore it is probably smaller, that said, I would throw down in FFA if it was available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users