59 replies to this topic

#41 Xarub

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:46 PM

Maybe after the "useful" bolt-on eyes for MC we can get bolt-on sunglasses for snow maps? Maybe even call it a "major content"-update? :D

#42 zzoxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationGermany - Eifel

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:29 AM

Horrible map. Visibility is just disgusting, zero contrast of nothing against nothing, rubbish on the floor, artificial bottlenecks. Monochrome times are over. I understand the defending side, if you tune your gamma down, and mod your GPU settings and so on and then you probably can play the map. I tried. Awesome. No Sir, sorry. I demand a little more. Looks so lazy from every angle. I´d really wish for some different themes, some contrast, some details for the new maps. There are maps that do it right in the pool. Rubellite was a step in the right direction. Solaris City to some degree too. There was hope. Now this. Imho that whole day / night cycle thing can go overboard also. If you want to create a challenge by environmental factors, at least make it a fun one. I can't take this fuzzy greyscale / green smearing anymore, who else in the industry does this kind of BS with such an tenacity? Maps are the forever stepchild of PGI, no doubt about it for me .So salty.

#43 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:07 AM

I wonder what the map would look light in colors. as of now, I can only play in in thermal-vision.

PLS hotfix this ASAP, pgi. what is a reskinned map good for when your eyes can't bear to play it?

#44 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:11 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 17 April 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

Can snow blindness happen in real life? Sure.

Obviously it doesn't, 2 people said so! I must be hallucinating when I'm on the trails and the snow is so bright I have to wear polarized lenses just to see where I'm going.

View PostWolfos31, on 17 April 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

Should it be happening on this map? No. This is a game, and mech cockpits should have tinting, or the mech helmet should have sun visors like fighter pilots do. I agree the brightness is pulling some of the enjoyment from this map. Same thing happens on Frozen City Classic.

True enough. The cockpit glass should be massively reducing glare to the point its a non-issue for the pilots.

#45 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

hey guys, just a reminder

1) pgi will not fix it

2) pgi will not even *address* that it's an issue

#46 Alakarr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

All these posts make me realize now why so many people don't use night vision or thermal on night maps. They all have the brightness and gamma cranked up.

For me, the map is bright, but not so bright I can't make out the terrain or enemy mechs. My brightness and gamma are set at default for my system and for night maps I have to use NV or Thermal or I can't make out enemy mechs clearly enough. I would suspect they set the brightness on this map purposely for those default settings. Or they may just have done it to tweak those people that adjust their gamma and brightness to get around having to use NV and thermal and the limitations they entail.

#47 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:14 PM

"The glare is realistic!"

Honey, we're in *mechs.* Realism was dragged behind the chemical sheds and shot a long time ago.

#48 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:17 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 19 April 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

hey guys, just a reminder

1) pgi will not fix it

2) pgi will not even *address* that it's an issue

There is hope that they will fix the brighntes/contrast…. Earlier they fixed small Things like Blood Asp Side Torsos, Mad Cat II Walking Animation or other small improvements for Maps (bridges on river City).

#49 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:19 PM

View PostHelsbane, on 17 April 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

I live in Wisconsin. It snows here up to 7 months of the year and I've never seen it get anywhere nearly as bright as on this new map. Blowing snow can obscure things a little, but whiting out the entire screen for the sake of 'immersion' is just plain stupid.

;Also a Wisconsinite. Yes, days can get bright - with a clear sky, which you'll note is a frosty blue, not 50,000,000 candlepower spotlight in the face white. When it's overcast (leading to a white sky,) you're not blinded. When it's snowing exceptionally hard? Yes, visibility is cut - but you're also not blinded like this.

This map is *far* too bright.

#50 Xarub

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:22 AM

View PostAlakarr, on 19 April 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

All these posts make me realize now why so many people don't use night vision or thermal on night maps. They all have the brightness and gamma cranked up.

I play with standart gamma/brightness values and it works for other snow maps but not on Hibernal Rift. Having to crank anything up or down for certain maps should not be necassary to enjoy a certain map.

Edited by Xarub, 20 April 2019 - 01:24 AM.

#51 Erik Krieger

• PipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:45 AM

It's such a pitty for this good map. I was so happy to see at least a variation of an already good map. And I like the optic and winter/vulcano theme too.

P L E A S E PGI, quick fix the brightness and contrast. Just a little!!! This should be easy for you and it would make such a big difference in enjoying this "new" map.

#52 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

PAINT THE SKY REEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

#53 Erik Krieger

• PipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:35 AM

View PostAlienized, on 20 April 2019 - 07:42 AM, said:

PAINT THE SKY REEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red, blue, green, pink, yellow, purple ... whatever! But DO something and do it QUICK! Pretty please!!!

#54 Starquestman

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

The issue I have with this map is that it does not really ADD anything to the gameplay - it does nothing that other maps don't already do.
The terrain is almost exactly like Canyon network (Don't get me wrong, it's great, just like Canyon - but we already have Canyon), so it doesn't present different challenge... and visually... well, we already have LOTS of snowy maps.

I DO agree that there should be opportunities to use heat/night vision. But once again - we already have snowblind maps that demand that.

#55 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:44 AM

Next week we will get an update..... I hope that pgi has the time to make some fine-tuning for this map.

#56 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:42 AM

already announced a while ago :)

https://twitter.com/...426365502050304

#57 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:14 PM

Well my take is somewhere out there is a world really cold with a bright cool blue star close by. And its a space game and it ain't earth.

Edited by ShadowFire, 14 May 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#58 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

Well my take is somewhere out there is a world really cold with a bright blue star close by. Its a space game and it ain't earth.

#59 blargcoaster

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:25 AM

I play with my gamma at 0.3 and my brightness at 0.6 normally and I have to turn it down on these maps. Default is 0.5 on both. Turning down the gamma and brightness doesn't do jack.

#60 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:39 AM

When someone talks about "Realism" in a game like this, then please ask that person where the realism went when the MASC propelled Light Mech running at 150+ kph suddenly loses a leg to a well-placed shot, comes to an abrupt halt without doing a face-plant.

Back to topic, the brightness is reasonable now. It could be lowered more but for now, it's bearable, at least for me anyway. Before, it was just horrible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users