Bad Fps Since Last Patch?

11 replies to this topic

#1 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Hey all, seems like since the last patch, I've got REALLY BAD FPS. Typically, I have been getting 90-120fps, but since the last patch, I've gone as low as 2fps.

I haven't changed my video drivers.

I haven't done any other patching.

Here's what I see. Using Testing Grounds for example. I will start just fine, but then after a brief while. will drop down to 2-10fps. Then it will pick up and then die again.

Any suggestions or suggestions where to start? Thanks all!

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

Have you taken into account Window updates? Or monitoring system stats? Or physical conditions of the computer?

Desktop or Laptop - system configuration ie top portion of dxdiag.

Can of compressed air - make sure heat sinks are clear of dust buildup, as well as monitoring fans to make sure they are running properly. Heat is a *****, even if it is a temporary spike, which would cause the cpu/gpu to throttle down to allow cooling down before ramping back up.

Windows 10 by default also includes driver updates /shudders... it can be turned off but occasionally on major Windows 10 version update it can be reset back to default on.

Power Options, set to High Performance. See above about it being reset to Balance or Power Saver.

Nvidia card? Nvidia control panel, Power Management mode - set to Max Performance. Ensures Nvidia GPU is being utilized all the time.

#3 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 20 April 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

Have you taken into account Window updates? Or monitoring system stats? Or physical conditions of the computer?

Desktop or Laptop - system configuration ie top portion of dxdiag.

Can of compressed air - make sure heat sinks are clear of dust buildup, as well as monitoring fans to make sure they are running properly. Heat is a *****, even if it is a temporary spike, which would cause the cpu/gpu to throttle down to allow cooling down before ramping back up.

Windows 10 by default also includes driver updates /shudders... it can be turned off but occasionally on major Windows 10 version update it can be reset back to default on.

Power Options, set to High Performance. See above about it being reset to Balance or Power Saver.

Nvidia card? Nvidia control panel, Power Management mode - set to Max Performance. Ensures Nvidia GPU is being utilized all the time.

Windows updates are turned off.
Nvidia control panel options for power mgmt mode are set to Max performance.

Temp shouldn't be an issue. It is usually on a marble table that is always cold.

What's weird is that it is totally random. I just went back into game to check it and turned on the Windows desktop recording ability and was running around Frozen City at 90-120fps again. NO CHANGES IN SYSTEM OR CONFIGS.

I've seen this type of behavior in other types of apps where the CPU is chewing up CPU, but I have stripped down all services and background processes before this and it always performed consistently.

I'm wondering disk defrag? Hold up. It's running on an SSD drive. It's a Samsung PM951 1TB drive. I also do have a Samsung SSD 860 EVO drive I could install it on.

#4 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

Just ran UserBenchmark:
UserBenchmarks: Game 29%, Desk 84%, Work 56%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HQ - 72.6%
GPU: Nvidia Quadro M2000M - 21.4%
SSD: Samsung PM951 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB 1TB - 177.5%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 101.4%
RAM: Micron 16ATF1G64HZ-2G1B1 4x8GB - 75.2%
MBD: Dell Precision 7510

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:16 PM

Okay, tis a laptop that came out approx 3 years ago or so. A marble surface is fine but it does nothing for the heat building inside the system, which may be restricted by dust/particle buildup in the heatsinks/vents.

3600 MHz (1 core)
3400 MHz (2 cores)
3200 MHz (3 or 4 cores)
2700 MHz - Base Frequency

Turbo Boost applies more power to fewer and fewer cores to increase their speed, leading to greater heat generation for those cores being turbo'd. Turbo boost is meant to be, in layman's terms, the average user's temporary overclock. All it takes is for one of the turbo'd core to exceed its heat threshold to have the entire system throttle down.

When was the last time, or ever, has the laptop been taken apart and cleaned the air vents/heatsinks, or even partial measures to clear those vents/heatsinks?

#6 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:49 PM

It has mostly been sitting on a shelf as a spare until recently. I can take a look at blowing out the internals.

It has been capable of those FPS until recently.

#7 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:04 PM

You are not the only one WarHammer. The main problem is that MWO has been suffering from poor optimizations and this has been a problem for a LONG time. I have a 2 year old PC and use to get over 200 FPS running MAX settings on MWO. Now its gone to 70 to 40 FPS. One of the problems is the engine the game is stuck on. "Cry Engine" If this game was moved over to "Unreal Engine", Most PCs and older rigs could run the game with ease. I have an i7 6700k 6th Gen and An 8GB GTX 1080 that runs every game I have at MAX settings and all with extreme ease.. I do have MWO on an SSD and it does help with the loading aspect. However; MWO after goin through each patch is the only game I've seen on my rig that comes with massive drawbacks. That's been something that PGI needs to work on soon. I know a lot of players left the game mainly because of this and that's not a good thing to see.

What Tarl pointed out does help out in most cases especially when it comes to hardware. However; if this is something that's only happening on MWO, then there is a serious problem. I know some people had to upgrade video cards just to fix with certain problems that MWO causes.

#8 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:27 AM

Thanks. I have some other games that run UE games at max settings like butter. MWO is the only one that behaves like this. I could understand if it was never capable of those fps, but it's just totally random.
I played last night and NEVER once went under 95fps. Didn't change any drivers or settings anywhere.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

Have you used the Repair Tool?

1 of 2 options, more for troubleshooting is to either generate a user.cfg and cap the FPS at 60 and or setup a Power Option Profile to disable or reduce Turboboost, Usually I suggest setting it at 98% instead of 99% since most of the players who had replied back had no real change with 99% but dropping it to 98% saw a instability decrease or disappeared while playing MWO.

https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/

#10 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:35 AM

Sometimes when you update nvivida drivers they will activate new options automatically which eats your fps without knowing. Also it can be that this update activate nvidia AA or similiar stuff. Always double check these things, had my trouble with it too.

Edit:
Example: Ambient Oclusion or Sunlights flares

Edited by Bishop Six, 23 April 2019 - 01:36 AM.

#11 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

1) I realize this is an old thread, but just updating in case others have the same issue.

2) Up to this point, I had been connecting my laptop to a docking station. The dock is then connected to the monitor with a DVI (dock) to HDMI (monitor) cable. For giggles, I had the laptop on the docking station, but connected the monitor directly to the laptop via HDMI cable directly. BOOM!!!! Up to 133fps at times and mostly right about 70-90fps.
Looks like bypassing the docking station significantly helped.

3) In looking at the specs for HDMI vs DVI, DVI is supposed to support higher throughput and refresh rates. Going to go directly from the laptop's mini-display port to the monitor's DVI port and see what happens. Wish me luck. ;-)

Edited by TheWarhammer, 27 July 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#12 TheWarhammer

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:12 AM

One other thing I discovered. In the BIOS is a setting that will force the OS to use the the Intel GPU or the Nvidia. Set this to ALWAYS use the Nvidia and it's been ROCK SOLID 70+fps all the time now. So if you have the option and choice, I would highly recommend setting this.

Putting this out there in case it could help someone else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users