Silly Question : What Will Happen To Mwo When Mw5 Hits ?

44 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

modding != rewriting large parts of the version/fork of the engine the game ships with

#22 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

MW:O will still be around, since MW:5 is limited to PvE and IS mechs only. There will be modding exceptions but I doubt that we will see a significant player base drop due to MW:5 being out. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that PGI will give free access to all of their models from MW:O for modders to play around with in MW:5. If anyone has access to their discord that would be a good question to ask for Russ if it hasn't been asked already, if all of MW:O mechs including clans will be available to modders.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 21 April 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#23 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:07 AM

Modding is leaning more towards a pipe dream than a deal-maker. Expect Cease and Desist orders to slam down any mod team that attempts to supplant MWO's PvP niche. Shame, because I'd really like a MechLab that doesn't nickel and dime me on BattleMech choices and combat on pseudo-randomly generated maps to keep the game fresh and scouting relevant.

#24 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:01 AM

Nothing ? One is a single player game and the other is internet multiplayer . PGI won't create any game to obsolete another . MWO still makes money for them .

Probably the same thing will happen like that battle tech game . Most will play mw5 for a month or two then come back to MWO.

#25 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

The difference is the battletech game was actually good. I doubt very much MW5 will be equally good. Because when has PGI ever made a good game? All their games range from flaming garbage fire to below average. Given that PGI has perpetually disappointed battletech fans for years Id be very surprised if MW5 doesnt continue that trend. And I would not be surprised if MW5 ends up hurting MWO in the long run.

Edited by Khobai, 21 April 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#26 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

like others said, a dip in player base but it will likely pop back up with a month or 2.

personally even with all the free crap im waiting to see how it looks and just how much they have crippled the mechlab. chnaces are if modders cant make the mechlab as customisable as MWOs then im not getting it at all.

its frankly bizarre to have such limited customisation in a single player game, when i got Battletech first thing i did was get Roguetech so the mechlab didnt suck, and MW5 is going to far more limited than BT was

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 21 April 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#27 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

MWO = Free

MW5 = $50

Some people don't want to or cannot justify affording $50, so free is always there

#28 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

I expect even more mech stompiness as we will then have an unprecedented 3 Battletech games available.
MWO for that glorious PvP action.
Battletech for the turn based board game strategy.
MW5 for some co-op campaigns.
The games all stand on their own for various reasons.
I seriously doubt we would see MWO be converted to another engine or anything like that.
Perhaps at some point there might be an MWO 2 but you would think any musings on that matter are so far back on the back burner they have fallen behind the stove.

If anything, we should prepare MWO for fluctuations in the player numbers by allowing smaller teams!!

#29 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:16 PM

View Postkuma8877, on 21 April 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

They can't ban mods on the Nexus, especially in a peer to peer environment where we aren't connecting to PGI servers at all.

I've heard of IP owners threatening modders with legal action. So if they still have the license. They might have legal grounds to get a mod shut down. But I mean that's all speculative. They might not care about a few people doing some small matches through a client based mod.

#30 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 21 April 2019 - 10:01 AM, said:

Nothing ? One is a single player game and the other is internet multiplayer . PGI won't create any game to obsolete another . MWO still makes money for them .

Probably the same thing will happen like that battle tech game . Most will play mw5 for a month or two then come back to MWO.

MW5 can make a stream of income for PGI simply by coming out with DLCs. There are games in Steam where the combined value of all DLCs amount to $8,000 to $12,000.

Edited by Anjian, 21 April 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#31 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:11 AM

View PostVitriolicViolet, on 21 April 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

like others said, a dip in player base but it will likely pop back up with a month or 2.

personally even with all the free crap im waiting to see how it looks and just how much they have crippled the mechlab. chnaces are if modders cant make the mechlab as customisable as MWOs then im not getting it at all.

its frankly bizarre to have such limited customisation in a single player game, when i got Battletech first thing i did was get Roguetech so the mechlab didnt suck, and MW5 is going to far more limited than BT was

Funy, I really dislike Roguetech and enjoy the vanilla version much much more due to existing limitations that guide you to an extent, compared to a mess of a UI and million systems that detract more from the game than they engage me in.
More is not always better.

#32 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:31 AM

M.W.O will continue to creak and groan along, like it has for the last two years, until P.G.I run out of mechs to sell, or microsoft pull the licence.

Despite the detractors cry for the end. Micro soft have zero reason, to cut off P.G.I.

Hare Brained Schemes can't do it, even if they do decide to apply for a live action licence.
Wiesman's ill advised personal agreement, with Harmony Gold, means any game that H.B.S make won't have the Unseen, that H.G have arguable rights to, in them.

Which is why even after the result in the courts, it remains a score draw for P.G.I ( can only be concidered a win if the Crusader, wasp, stinger etc get released.
While still remains a loss for H.B.S as the official Marauder and WarHamer remain pulled from the game.

They can chose between money now, or have the franchise lay dormant, for 10 -15 years like it did in the past.

Its actually, far more likely that P.G.I will not ask for an extension, than Microsoft close down the deal.

This will be decided over sales of Mw5 and how many more mechs are available for producing

Edited by C E Dwyer, 22 April 2019 - 05:37 AM.

#33 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 20 April 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

This game will be dead as **** for a few weeks to a month, we'll get a huge player surge, then it'll go back to normal.

Pretty close to normal anyway. There are some players who only log in to MWO for big stompy mech action and tolerate the PvP due to lack of choice. MW5 will give them a choice. Those players may not return but if MW5’s advertising campaign is successful and the game is fun, then MWO player numbers should increase after the players start craving PvP.

#34 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,888 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:09 AM

View PostKhobai, on 21 April 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

The difference is the battletech game was actually good. I doubt very much MW5 will be equally good. Because when has PGI ever made a good game? All their games range from flaming garbage fire to below average. Given that PGI has perpetually disappointed battletech fans for years Id be very surprised if MW5 doesnt continue that trend. And I would not be surprised if MW5 ends up hurting MWO in the long run.

Yaaa...I don’t know man, that seems pretty twisted.

I mean look at the numbers:

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

The season 22 spike is the month AFTER Battletech dropped. Then we had the population plummet over the next few months, back to even below normal levels, and then a return to the norm of gradual population droping over time with occasional ups and downs relative to the long term trend line.

If that was what occurred with what you consider to be a related “good” game’s impact, then a supposedly bad game (in your view) like MW5 would probably be a benefit to MWO population.

#35 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

As far as I am aware, PGI plans on supporting MWO going forward for the foreseeable future. MW5 is going to be the single player/co-op game and MWO will be there for the multiplayer element.

As some have said, MWO may see a dip in players right at MW5's launch, but should bounce back after a few weeks/months or so. As long as the game sells well, I would also expect to see periodic drops as Expansion/DLCs launch as well (again assuming the game sells well). This is what I would assume from those who are still playing MWO because they enjoy a multiplayer shooter aspect of the franchise above all else. To them, MW5 is a curiosity and they will eventually come back to the game style they prefer.

There are other like myself though who played MWO because it was a MechWarrior game. I don't care for the multiplayer aspect THAT much (instead preferring SP games with crafted stories), but I just wanted to play a new game in the franchise, so MWO it was. Now, for me, I am probably going to play MW5 much longer than the standard MWO player and am eager to possible try out some mods and maybe perform some custom playthroughs (making up my own rules/limitations). I am confident I will get my values worth out of MW5 and will have fun bouncing back and forth between MW5 and HBS's BattleTech. So for me, I have already left MWO and don't really have any plans to return in the foreseeable future. Since I am already gone, no loss for the game going forward really.

Ultimately though, I hope that new players are drawn to MW5 because of what it is and hopefully it gains a good amount of traction for an indie game. At that point, if it does well, MWO might see a boost to players when those who are unaware of MWO play MW5, and after look towards a more multiplayer experience. In that case, one might actually see more people playing MWO a month or so after MW5 launches. I suppose time will tell how this all plays out.

P.S. Don't misunderstand me, I did thoroughly enjoy my time with MWO. I did play for several years pretty regularly. I am just glad I am finally able to get more narrative experiences in one of my favorite franchises. I will always look back on MWO fondly, it is just that now I am finally getting a chance to play BattleTech games as I have preferred them in the past and that makes me happy.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 22 April 2019 - 08:16 AM.

#36 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:56 AM

MW5 have no Basic elements in the Game to make PVP easy for modding, and modding with the UE 4 so not a One Person Job and have many Problems (seeing ARK and other UE4 games) ...and the BT Modding Community ?! which Mods have HBS BT game seeing since launched ?!Modding a PVP Mod for MW5 is a Job for a team with very big experience in modding and Coding like the old MWLL Team

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 22 April 2019 - 10:03 AM.

#37 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:10 AM

Anyone who thinks MW5 will have a long term negative effect on MWO is just being overly negative. There will be a drop-off when MW5 drops as a fair chunk of people are playing through it but within a month most will be back and a new game also increases presence, etc so there will probably be a few new players for MWO.

#38 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 22 April 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

There are other like myself though who played MWO because it was a MechWarrior game. I don't care for the multiplayer aspect THAT much (instead preferring SP games with crafted stories), but I just wanted to play a new game in the franchise, so MWO it was. Now, for me, I am probably going to play MW5 much longer than the standard MWO player and am eager to possible try out some mods and maybe perform some custom playthroughs (making up my own rules/limitations). I am confident I will get my values worth out of MW5 and will have fun bouncing back and forth between MW5 and HBS's BattleTech. So for me, I have already left MWO and don't really have any plans to return in the foreseeable future. Since I am already gone, no loss for the game going forward really.

This is how I feel. I play MWO because it's a battletech game, not because I like multiplayer games. In fact I've put more time into MWO than any other multiplayer game. I don't have the time to become good at twitchy headshot shooters like COD and am glad MWO offers some tactical options (support mechs, DPS, shield arms, etc).

I still play MW4 some and have recently gotten into tabletop. I just love the franchise. So I'll be playing MW5 a LOT. I actually have scheduled a week of vacation for the week after it comes out so I can play through it without distractions and after the inevitable post launch patch comes out. Posted Image I'll probably come back to MWO, but it might not be until the start of 2020 once I've thoroughly exhausted MW5s replay value.

#39 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,071 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

I'll get the game on sale eventually. I'm hoping some one mods in the stinger wasp. Since I'm teaching myself unreal and have already had college level classes in 3d modeling and animation becoming a modder is something I want to look into in my spare time. Between that and a graphic design business I'm pretty busy and am very selective how I spend my gaming time.

since russ refuses any info on mwo's life span and was directly asked how long for mwo at the last mech con with no reply at all I'd expect pgi to keep selling mech packs on the day they turn the mwo servers off. Their history of game quality speaks for itself if not the history of mwo alone.

#40 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

pessimistic model:

mass population exodus.
consolidation of game modes into a super mode as a last ditch to keep the game alive.
derpification of the game in general as a result.
which leads to game death, the closing of mwo and erradication of inventories.

optimistic model:

mass population exodus.
mwo goes into maintenance mode.
mw5 sales drop off.
pgi announces mwo2.
you have to buy everything again.

salty model:

mass population exodus.
mwo closes.
mw5 flops.
somone releases a multiplayer mod for mw5 that turns out to be better than mwo anyway.
but because mw5 flopped nobody plays it.
people are stuck playing legacy mechwarrior games and living legends, which is also dead.
transverse 2 comes out and flops.
pgi then looks to screw over another old skool ip and goes on to treat another group of 40 something grognards as children.
gaming dies all together.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 April 2019 - 03:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users