Jump to content

Airstrike Campers In Solaris

Game Play

37 replies to this topic

#1 MadDach5und

    Member

  • Pip
  • Shredder
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:54 AM

Far too often the style of game play in Solaris involves camping - either smaller mechs hide for a sneak attack, or larger mechs back against a wall and stay there for the duration, counting on armor and larger guns to keep them alive. The movement dynamic of the game is totally nerfed, and the reason why most competitors are showing up with Annihilators or Kodiak mechs - whatever is the largest allowed on that level.

We need a game element to keep these campers moving if you want any excitement between a fatty and a medium. Maybe laser gun turrets that start firing after 30 seconds of stationary movement, or an air strike - I dunno. I'm hoping other forumites may have ideas. Thanks.

#2 Dionnsai

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:06 AM

A mechanic like that would obviously favor fast small mechs over large mechs, you're forcing the big slow guys into a tactically disadvantageous position to support your preferred playstyle. That's not going to be acceptable.

#3 VonBruinwald

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:34 AM

Do what I do, trade a few blows and when you're critical play the seismic-nascar:
  • Pick a large object that blocks one side
  • Hide on the the opposite side
  • Wait
  • When they approach use your seismic to maintain position on the opposite side
  • Mock the enemy incessantly as they chase you.
They tend to get extra mad when you do this. Normally they'll try goad you by mentioning your SSR goes down on a draw. Just remind them that theirs does to.

Just make sure you keep an eye on that seismic.

#4 Makenzie71

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 908 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 28 April 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

Do what I do, trade a few blows and when you're critical play the seismic-nascar:
  • Pick a large object that blocks one side
  • Hide on the the opposite side
  • Wait
  • When they approach use your seismic to maintain position on the opposite side
  • Mock the enemy incessantly as they chase you.
They tend to get extra mad when you do this. Normally they'll try goad you by mentioning your SSR goes down on a draw. Just remind them that theirs does to.

Just make sure you keep an eye on that seismic.


Oh neat the “if I can’t win, you can’t win either” folks are SUPER popular here.

I would like to take a moment to draw your attention to the Code of Conduct, particularly the section titled “Non-participation”. Drawing out a match unnecessarily, as well as forcing a tie because you’ve decided you don’t like the way the match went, is prohibited via the code of conduct, as is making defamatory and/or non-constructive comments through chat.

#5 Dionnsai

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 28 April 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Oh neat the “if I can’t win, you can’t win either” folks are SUPER popular here.

I would like to take a moment to draw your attention to the Code of Conduct, particularly the section titled “Non-participation”. Drawing out a match unnecessarily, as well as forcing a tie because you’ve decided you don’t like the way the match went, is prohibited via the code of conduct, as is making defamatory and/or non-constructive comments through chat.


This ^

#6 VigorousApathy

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 117 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 28 April 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

Do what I do, trade a few blows and when you're critical play the seismic-nascar:
  • Pick a large object that blocks one side
  • Hide on the the opposite side
  • Wait
  • When they approach use your seismic to maintain position on the opposite side
  • Mock the enemy incessantly as they chase you.
They tend to get extra mad when you do this. Normally they'll try goad you by mentioning your SSR goes down on a draw. Just remind them that theirs does to.

Just make sure you keep an eye on that seismic.


I sense a disturbance in the force.

#7 justcallme A S H

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,809 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Airstrike people using strategic positioning and make them give that up because it is "unfair".

Now i've heard it all.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 28 April 2019 - 02:59 PM.


#8 Ghost Paladin117

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 April 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

Airstrike people using strategic positioning and make them give that up because it is "unfair".

Now i've heard it all.

The walls need flamers and the ceiling needs drop ship lasers
;)

#9 Dee Eight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 28 April 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Oh neat the “if I can’t win, you can’t win either” folks are SUPER popular here.

I would like to take a moment to draw your attention to the Code of Conduct, particularly the section titled “Non-participation”. Drawing out a match unnecessarily, as well as forcing a tie because you’ve decided you don’t like the way the match went, is prohibited via the code of conduct, as is making defamatory and/or non-constructive comments through chat.


See what good reporting does if it drops the population even further...

#10 Makenzie71

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 908 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

The tie fighters aren’t a considerable population of the population. It won’t hurt if they leave. If the choice is mot playing because the population dies, versus not playing because the players who drop don’t play...well, there’s not really a choice there.

#11 Dee Eight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

Its also not going to be very enforceable. Nothing in the rules forces a player to play to his enemy's strengths. Waiting motionless to ambush an enemy is a time honored tradition in battletech combat. Its even in the written lore.

#12 SirHavan

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:26 AM

Its part of what makes MWO so different/better - tactics

#13 Dionnsai

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:24 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 28 April 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

The tie fighters aren’t a considerable population of the population. It won’t hurt if they leave. If the choice is mot playing because the population dies, versus not playing because the players who drop don’t play...well, there’s not really a choice there.


I remember their names, if I see them dropping on the watch list, I pick a mech that I know can catch them and beat them and I run their asses down. Usually they know the jig is up and stop dropping at least for the time.

I know you've watched me do it =D

Edited by Dionnsai, 30 April 2019 - 05:24 AM.


#14 Ghost Paladin117

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 29 April 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

Its also not going to be very enforceable. Nothing in the rules forces a player to play to his enemy's strengths. Waiting motionless to ambush an enemy is a time honored tradition in battletech combat. Its even in the written lore.

There is a difference between "ambush tactics" and running from the fight bc you are about to lose. Or hiding because you are one shot. But people who do this are pretty well known for doing this kind of nonsense.

#15 Bowelhacker

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 28 April 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Oh neat the “if I can’t win, you can’t win either” folks are SUPER popular here.

I would like to take a moment to draw your attention to the Code of Conduct, particularly the section titled “Non-participation”. Drawing out a match unnecessarily, as well as forcing a tie because you’ve decided you don’t like the way the match went, is prohibited via the code of conduct, as is making defamatory and/or non-constructive comments through chat.


Has anyone ever been penalised for actually do that though?

#16 Dionnsai

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:13 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 30 April 2019 - 09:33 PM, said:


Has anyone ever been penalised for actually do that though?


We would never know because PGI would never confirm it? A big problem with PGI's silent treatment policy around violations, it's hard to know just how seriously they take this stuff sometimes...

Edited by Dionnsai, 01 May 2019 - 04:14 AM.


#17 Ghost Paladin117

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 01 May 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:


We would never know because PGI would never confirm it? A big problem with PGI's silent treatment policy around violations, it's hard to know just how seriously they take this stuff sometimes...

Yep, so no one knows. Convenient huh?

#18 Makenzie71

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 908 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:17 AM

You can look at the leaderboards for last season and see that moderation DOES happen. The COC is taken pretty seriously, i believe, it’s just majority of the violations go unreported or are reported without any kind of eidence.

#19 Soedrin

    Member

  • PipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 49 posts
  • Locationbehind you...

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:01 AM

The forums had an unseasonable winter storm this past week.
So many threads buried in snowflakes with thier tongues frozen to the "Solaris is too hard" flag pole.

I think i just saw the OP running back to QPs for a random shoulder to cry on then blame for losing the whole match again.

#20 MadDach5und

    Member

  • Pip
  • Shredder
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 30 April 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

There is a difference between "ambush tactics" and running from the fight bc you are about to lose. Or hiding because you are one shot. But people who do this are pretty well known for doing this kind of nonsense.

I'm trying to understand why someone who is almost obliterated is supposed to just stand still and let the other person kill them. Avoiding death is not 'nonsense'.

I will admit I prefer fighting in smaller mechs, and try my best to encourage the fatties to step out of their wall pockets and actually engage - but if I am down to 40% and two guns - I will hide myself and make THEM move to finish me off. The stupid idea that I'm supposed to blindfold myself and light a cigarette and wait for someone to do their worst is pushed by a lot of lazy and impatient players who don't want to actually work to earn their damage points.

Maybe the answer is giving all participants a couple airstrike calls, so the players can decide when and where to use them. A lot of players in here absolutely loathe bots or NPCs of all sorts - they are the top whiners when it comes to gun turrets on incursion maps - so give everyone their own chance to change the game.

The leadership board of Solaris is totally dominated by max weight mech pilots - which really doesn't lead credence to the idea that superior tactics can overcome size and armor - at least not for most. Forcing movement will definitely bring more variety to these 1v1 and 2v2 death matches. That's all I am looking for.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users