67 replies to this topic

#21 ObeyTheLion

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFinally managed to score 1K in an Urbie

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:16 PM

View PostBackShot, on 29 April 2019 - 09:32 PM, said:

Iam not saying that the vapor eagle is not the best atm boat in the game, i am saying that anyone mech wich can load 3x atm9 or 2x atm 12 can dish crazy amount of damages.
Of course, it is better with jjs and mobility, and thats why the huntsman and the vapor eagle are the best at it.

VEagle's Jumpjet quirks give it great performance as a poptart. Let it be ATM poptarting, PPC poptarting, the mech does it all.
While my only poptart mech is a Huntmsan, and occasionally doing poptarting with my Summoner

LBX-20 POPTARTING INTENSIFIES

I do find myself in need for a mech with such an active playstyle such as the VEagle. I'll put it onto my "To buy" list

o7

#22 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:10 AM

View PostObeyTheLion, on 29 April 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

VEagle's Jumpjet quirks give it great performance as a poptart. Let it be ATM poptarting, PPC poptarting, the mech does it all.
While my only poptart mech is a Huntmsan, and occasionally doing poptarting with my Summoner

LBX-20 POPTARTING INTENSIFIES

I do find myself in need for a mech with such an active playstyle such as the VEagle. I'll put it onto my "To buy" list

o7

The JJ quirks really don't give you all that much, unless you fill out the skill nodes and throw on every available jump jet...

#23 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostBackShot, on 28 April 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

why would anyone use lrms ?

To penetrate your mech from a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge distance.

#24 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 192 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

View PostCyanogene, on 30 April 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

To penetrate your mech from a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge distance.

Or try to be a ***** and let your team to do all the hardwork :L

#25 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostHenryFA, on 30 April 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

Or try to be a ***** and let your team to do all the hardwork :L

They're not good for anything else anyways.

#26 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

View PostCyanogene, on 30 April 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

They're not good for anything else anyways.

They actually work extremely well as extended-range streaks now.

#27 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

It's like saying you don't understand why people would take LBXs or ACs when they can take RACs. They play different roles even in the same tonnage and range bracket.

ATMs are absolutely brutal in exactly the right situation. If you've got the right mech and get the right position you can **** a truly stupid amount of damage on someone with minimal exposure. It's trading more situational viability for greater payout for that situation and unlike pretty much every other situational weapon in the game, ATMs do a passable job of making the payout high enough to make the tradeoff worth it.

LRMs are far more flexible. You can do a bit of damage with IDF but if you're not an abject coward and actually shoot with LoS they're strong for weapons that require no real aim and low skill threshold to apply. Both weapons are situational and less likely to drive actual wins but they absolutely help people who struggle to get shots on target with lasers and ballistics effectively to still contribute. They also both excel at damage farming, which inflates your Jarls ranking regardless of how useful they are for winning matches.

At this point both are reasonably viable. Far more so than they used to be.

#28 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

View PostGilgamecc, on 30 April 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

They actually work extremely well as extended-range streaks now.

I was talking about teammates.

#29 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostCyanogene, on 30 April 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

I was talking about teammates.

even with manners put aside, jarls' says you should be more careful with statements like these. Posted Image
I'm fast to agree that A LOT of people in this game play it just plain WRONG, but there's more than enough that shoot a hell of a lot better than me - or you.
maybe don't work in such absolutes - makes you look like a dou*hebag. ;)

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 30 April 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#30 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

Damn urbie came in with a flamer.

#31 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 30 April 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

even with manners put aside, jarls' says you should be more careful with statements like these. Posted Image
I'm fast to agree that A LOT of people in this game play it just plain WRONG, but there's more than enough that shoot a hell of a lot better than me - or you.
maybe don't work in such absolutes - makes you look like a dou*hebag. Posted Image

What's a "jarls" ? I don't care what anyone thinks about me, I only care about myself. Also, the amount of someone's skill at particular activity does not equal the amount of respect I should have for that person.

Edited by Cyanogene, 30 April 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#32 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:57 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 30 April 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

Damn urbie came in with a flamer.

you're not talking about the fixed cockpit accessory all of his mechs have?

#33 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:33 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 30 April 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

It's like saying you don't understand why people would take LBXs or ACs when they can take RACs. They play different roles even in the same tonnage and range bracket.

Except he had two posts making it clear he thought LRM 80 did 160 damage. So of course you'd wonder why ATMs would be used if LRMs did that

#34 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 30 April 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

ATMs are absolutely brutal in exactly the right situation. If you've got the right mech and get the right position you can **** a truly stupid amount of damage on someone with minimal exposure. It's trading more situational viability for greater payout for that situation and unlike pretty much every other situational weapon in the game, ATMs do a passable job of making the payout high enough to make the tradeoff worth it.

LRMs are far more flexible. You can do a bit of damage with IDF but if you're not an abject coward and actually shoot with LoS they're strong for weapons that require no real aim and low skill threshold to apply. Both weapons are situational and less likely to drive actual wins but they absolutely help people who struggle to get shots on target with lasers and ballistics effectively to still contribute. They also both excel at damage farming, which inflates your Jarls ranking regardless of how useful they are for winning matches.

At this point both are reasonably viable. Far more so than they used to be.

Except that atms can work on any map, and configuration when lrms can only work on a few maps with dedicated team such as polar or caustic with narcers. Also long range lrms almost never hit, passed 500 meters, the target has way enough time to go to cover. you may hit with one volley at best and loose the lock even before the missiles hit at worse.

that + the huge damage output difference, in my opinion lrms are even less usefull then they ever be. And i finally drop it : ATMs need a damage nerf. No auto aimed weapon should do so many damage ever.

#35 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:53 AM

View PostBackShot, on 30 April 2019 - 11:09 PM, said:

Except that atms can work on any map, and configuration when lrms can only work on a few maps with dedicated team such as polar or caustic with narcers. Also long range lrms almost never hit, passed 500 meters, the target has way enough time to go to cover. you may hit with one volley at best and loose the lock even before the missiles hit at worse.

that + the huge damage output difference, in my opinion lrms are even less usefull then they ever be. And i finally drop it : ATMs need a damage nerf. No auto aimed weapon should do so many damage ever.

Another one talking about things he never tried ....

After the last patches lrms and atms are more identical in their usement now.
ATMs do more damage in lower range then the same tons of lrms,
lrms and atms do nearly the same damage at medium range at the same tons,
lrms do more damage at long range then atms for the same tons,
used direct they also have now a near identical trajectory.
Atms are faster and hotter but lrms can also be used indirect and have more ammo.

The question is now: Do i want high damage at low range or do i fight more ofter over 300m where i get the same result but more flexibility and the hope for a narcer who makes lrms better then atms because idf?

Edited by Kroete, 01 May 2019 - 01:14 AM.

#36 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:03 AM

View PostKroete, on 01 May 2019 - 12:53 AM, said:

Another one talking about things he never tried ....

After the last patches lrms and atms are more identical in their usement now.
ATMs do more damage in lower range then the same tons of lrms,
lrms and atms do nearly the same damage at medium range at the same tons,
lrms do more damage at long range then atms for the same tons,
used direct they also have now a near identical trajectory.
Atms are faster and hotter but lrms can also be used indirect and have more ammo.

The question is now: Do i want high damage at low range or do i fight more ofter over 300m where i get the same result but more flexibility and the hope for a narcer who makes lrms better then atms because idf?

once again, except that lurms at long range never hit their target.

So the question is now : Do i want insane damage at low range and same damage at mid range or medium damage at long range wich will never hit and same damage at mid range. Let me guess, i would play atm.

Also i would be really curious at what makes you think i never tried atms or lrms, really.

#37 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:52 AM

View PostBackShot, on 01 May 2019 - 02:03 AM, said:

Also i would be really curious at what makes you think i never tried atms or lrms, really.

Your claim that lrms only work on some maps.
They work like atms with the option of idf, means they work on all maps where atms work.

You just talking about damage, not heat, not flexibility, not speed, ams or the mech used with.
But back to your damage, its a small window where atms are better then lrms if used direct,
if you put all the range and idf in it, they are equal but need different approaches.

#38 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

they have the same mechanic as atms, wich doesnt work for lrms cause it is a dps weapon and not a burst weapon like atms, you will loose trades when atms actually win them. thats why their only way to be effective is to use idf with narcers or uavs, and this only work on a few maps with no covers.

#39 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:23 AM

ATMs has this monstrous sweet-spot damage to fall back, which ends up a lot more useful because it helps with the aggressive playstyle that usually wins the game, as opposed of the LRMs in mid-range that plays better with attrition.

#40 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:34 AM

Personally, I don't see any reason why if you're in a clan missile mech, standing 400 meters away from an enemy, in direct line of sight, anyone would ever pick LRM over ATM..

This just shows that the role of LRM is an IDF one.. and that's been nerfed to shait.. so.. yeah..

It's a sad time for LRMs..

Edited by Vellron2005, 03 May 2019 - 02:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users