Can't Install Pts, Too Large For Pc With 54 Gbs Free

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guta

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:01 AM

Pretty much what the topic says. I really want the rewards for the current play testing but it looks impossible for me to download it. I've deleted all non-essential files so I can't free up any more space. Is this normal? Am I supposed to buy a new computer for a warhorn, mechbay, and 5 mil? Why do I need more than 55 GBs to download the PTS?

#2 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

Because PTS is basically a copy of MWO but with some changes made. That's why it takes up so much space

#3 Guta

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

55 GBs though? Mwo is 30+, I need 90+ GBs to get a warhorn? Am I supposed to uninstall mwo to install the PTS? If I do, will I lose all of my mechs, weapons, and skills? I'm pretty new, but that's 610 hours and over 200 hundred hours I'd be kissing goodbye. While I assume there's some way to keep all my progress, the fact that I have to ask these questions seems ridiculous to me. I certainly don't expect any rewards since I can't log in to the PTS because I can't download it, but it sucks coming to the realization that the only way I'll ever get PTS rewards is if I buy a better computer than one I bought 9 months ago just to play this game :/

The situation being what it is and extremely unlikely to change in any way, at this point I suppose I'm complaining just to complain

#4 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:19 AM

View PostGuta, on 06 May 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

55 GBs though? Mwo is 30+, I need 90+ GBs to get a warhorn?

Lazyass devs. Minimally Viable ProductTM.

Not sure if you are aware, but you actually need about 20-25GB of free space on the drive you have MWO installed for every patch day, because Minimally Viable ProductTM unpacks everything at once when it patches. So for installing another 30GB of PTS client (which, as correctly pointed out already, is essentially 99.9% exact same thing as MWO) you do need about 30+30GB more space.

Am I supposed to uninstall mwo to install the PTS? If I do, will I lose all of my mechs, weapons, and skills?

No you will not. MWO, just like every online PvP game stroes most of your data on its own server. So your exp/cbills/mechs/skills will be unaffected by anything you do with the installation of the game you have on your PC. The only thing that MWO stores locally, is your game settings (graphics, controls etc.), and I believe weapon groups you set for your mechs. Those are stored separately from the main game folder tho, so deleting the game folder itself, or just temporaty removing it to an external drive, won't affect those either.

The situation being what it is and extremely unlikely to change in any way, at this point I suppose I'm complaining just to complain

Yep.

P.S. Heh ... Write a response only for it to get lost because MWO forum keeps logging you out every couple hours for no reason whatsoever. Gotta try hard to stay Minimally ViableTM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:25 AM

55 GBs though? Mwo is 30+, I need 90+ GBs to get a warhorn? Am I supposed to uninstall mwo to install the PTS? If I do, will I lose all of my mechs, weapons, and skills? I'm pretty new, but that's 610 hours and over 200 hundred hours I'd be kissing goodbye. While I assume there's some way to keep all my progress, the fact that I have to ask these questions seems ridiculous to me. I certainly don't expect any rewards since I can't log in to the PTS because I can't download it, but it sucks coming to the realization that the only way I'll ever get PTS rewards is if I buy a better computer than one I bought 9 months ago just to play this game :/

PTS was already over by the time you posted from memory.

And no you won't lose mechs. They are saved to your ONLINE account in MechWarrior ONLINE.

#6 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:35 AM

All of your mechs, weapons and evrything else you own on your account is stored on PGI's servers, not on your PC. The only things that are stored on your PC are weapon groups, settings and loadout profiles. Also, you don't need to buy a new computer if you run out of space on your current one. Just buy another hard drive XD It's not an Ipad with fixed memory or something.

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 07 May 2019 - 06:36 AM.

#7 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:08 AM

As I'm using a small SSD for windows and MWO, the patching size of the normal MWO folder is always a small problem.

But for PTS, I use one of my many HDDs where i have tons of space, so no problem.
If you have another harddrive, try changing the folder for PTS the next time.
Maybe this helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users