What Is A"top Tier" Player?

92 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:38 AM

I keep reading the arguments on match score, average match score and match score required to finish the challenges. Every time I do, the discussion reaches the point where it says that Top Tier players will find achieving 500MS easy and arguments about what the people in that thread consider to be Top Tier. Since I do not want to sidetrack the arguments in those threads, I am asking here.

What do people here consider to be Top Tier?

Top 10? Top 100? Top 1000?
Top 1%? Top 10%?
500MS+ average? 400MS+ average?

Seems to me that the classification varies depending on what point people are trying to make, so I am just curious. :)

#2 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:08 AM

Depends on your perspective.

Personally: 80% is passable, 90% is good, 99% is top tier and high 99% are the people to listen to.

#3 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:11 AM

Active population base, 0.5% perhaps.

However, the percentage of top tier players is skewed here (forum), I would say, at least 10~15% of threads here are written by the top tier players, if not more.

Edited by ingramli, 12 May 2019 - 04:12 AM.

#4 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:16 AM

It's a necessarily vague term like "one of the best", it just means someone who is amongst the best players in the game from the perspective of whoever is talking.

There's really no point trying to specify values for vague terms, if you want to talk about a specific range like the top 5% then just say "too 5%" instead.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:57 AM

Anything TRUE Top Tier is anything Div A Comp in any region IMO. Be that current or past. That's the top, there is nothing more.

Top Tier could be considered anything above 99% on Jarls I guess. Granted a number above that will get rolled by people below them... Given Jarls includes GroupQ / SoloQ same as MWO leaderboards do and those things affect rankings big time at the higher end.

And even then the gap between 99% and 99.5%+ is a football field. I see some people that are 99.95% and I know there is a decent gap between them and myself for instance yet that on Jarls is only 200 players difference.

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,082 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:17 AM

Honestly, War_Glaivez comes to mind.

Jesus that backstabber.

#7 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:30 AM

A top tier player piloting a light mech is

kind , courteous , trustworthy , loyal , helpful , friendly , cheerful , obedient , thrifty , clean , brave and reverent .

Edited by Pain G0D, 12 May 2019 - 05:36 AM.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:43 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 12 May 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

Honestly, War_Glaivez comes to mind.

Jesus that backstabber.

You're kidding right?

A guy that abuses a e******t and has been caught using 3rd party, software, before... Posted Image

#9 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:04 AM

In a FPS, it's the player with the most effective kill ratio: since, that is what the game is about. But, even that, isn't all of the story.... Because, there are all sorts of "classes" of mechs, and modes and then there is Faction and Competitive play....

You can have upper tier players whom don't have the best kill averages but, "facilitate wins because of the damage they cause to secure those wins...."

And, meritocracies and leader boards create all sorts of aberrant behaviors in the quest to be #1, the "best...."

If a Combat Effectiveness (CE) system were loaded in to this game, we'd have the statistics after a couple of months of play..... But, and I've seen this in those prototype systems, the results of whom "really is the most effective and efficient" players often aren't whom you'd think ! And that, in and of itself, creates even more issues because of "hurt feelings...." and assumed superiority......

To me, that player 'takes charge and leads "the team" game after game; and, could care less about the number of kills they have....... They are focused on "how to win" with what they are given and do so, by example....." Talk is cheap, eh?!

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,082 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 May 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

You're kidding right?

A guy that abuses a e******t and has been caught using 3rd party, software, before... Posted Image

I really don't care how he did it, that's the problem for PGI.

I have no love for the guy, for obvious reasons I don't need to break CoC for.

But imagine if War_Glaivez was legit good? And that is what I was pointing out, my concern is the result, as the OP was asking for a standard.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 12 May 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#11 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

Players that have a significant positive impact on the outcome of the drops they're in, having a good grasp on game mechanics and the ability to skillfully act based on that knowledge. It's hard to tie it to a specific match score number or any other stat because how exactly they apply their ability will greatly affect their numbers (example: playing more lights or specific weapons leads to lower scores). I think context is also important. Different game modes: comp, solaris, solo qp, group qp and fp require different variations of skills/knowledge and if a player only focuses on one game mode they can potentially be not so good at another mode. I've seen div A comp players be totally useless in Fp and literally lead to losses for their team, same as very strong solo qp players start comp and totally get their faces punched in, same as very strong FP players who would struggle in solaris. But overall it comes down to people who know what they're doing, can move according to the situation, and can hit what they're shooting at.

#12 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:46 AM

the real trick is to see how much time they spend in a Rifleman

if they don't drop that chassis at least ten percent of the time, they are a scrub

#13 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

Probably the 99.5%

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

View Postingramli, on 12 May 2019 - 04:11 AM, said:

However, the percentage of top tier players is skewed here (forum), I would say, at least 10~15% of threads here are written by the top tier players, if not more.

I think you could count how many threads are started by top tier players on 2 hands, maybe 3.

15% is a bit, inflated.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 12 May 2019 - 09:25 AM.

#15 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

View Postingramli, on 12 May 2019 - 04:11 AM, said:

I would say, at least 10~15% of threads here are written by the top tier players, if not more.

No.

#16 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

I usually think of top tier as anyone in Div A and some of the better players in Div B or someone with similar skill level. Usually that means >99% and more often than not > 99.5%. This can go lower depending on how they play their matches (i.e group vs solo), but it's a okay rule of thumb.

There's also a difference between "top tier" and "top top tier", with the latter group being just a handful of the best players and the former being better than the vast majority of the player base, but not quite on the level of the best.

For the purposes of this discussion, if I were playing regularly I'd (conveniently) meet my own criteria for top tier pilots (e.g. I've played Div A/B, I can average >99.5% on Jarls if I'm trying, and I don't have a problem getting 500 MS matches for events). That said, there are definitely pilots who are better than me, the "topper tier" if you will.

In practical terms I evaluate top tier pilots by how much of a threat they pose to me in a match. I can usually pick up on on how good an enemy light is pretty quickly based on how they react/play and use that to decide on whether they are a significant threat or not.

#17 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 May 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

Anything TRUE Top Tier is anything Div A Comp in any region IMO. Be that current or past. That's the top, there is nothing more.

Top Tier could be considered anything above 99% on Jarls I guess. Granted a number above that will get rolled by people below them... Given Jarls includes GroupQ / SoloQ same as MWO leaderboards do and those things affect rankings big time at the higher end.

And even then the gap between 99% and 99.5%+ is a football field. I see some people that are 99.95% and I know there is a decent gap between them and myself for instance yet that on Jarls is only 200 players difference.

I think largest gap is within that 99% of all.
Personally I could get my % higher by playing more meta mechs and playing bit less aggressive & using others more as meatshields but that is not the playstyle I'm interested in.
And I know for sure that group queue is tanking my KDR and matchscore and inflating WL because we play all kind of silliness too often.

#18 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

ill tell you what top tier is

1) doesnt get salty over stacked teams rolling his/her face in
2) plays with a focus on team victory not personal victory
3) knows the game inside out and know what to bring on what maps
4) helps newer players whenever possible
5) helps lead the team when nobody is drop calling
6) motivates team and lead by example
7) ACTUALLY has fun playing this game

8) last is some BS kill ratio/%%% percentage/etc that is utterly meaningless.

#19 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

View PostHellbringer, on 12 May 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

ill tell you what top tier is

1) doesnt get salty over stacked teams rolling his/her face in
2) plays with a focus on team victory not personal victory
3) knows the game inside out and know what to bring on what maps
4) helps newer players whenever possible
5) helps lead the team when nobody is drop calling
6) motivates team and lead by example
7) ACTUALLY has fun playing this game

8) last is some BS kill ratio/%%% percentage/etc that is utterly meaningless.

Points 3 and 7 I disagree with but otherwise a top tier list.

Personally, I half-use Jarls as a guide, as it gives better perspective. Top-tiers/eSpurters tend to put the "average" match score around 250 (I've even seen claims of 300!) when really it's around 220. Look at the Cinco De Mayo event, 500MSx5 expects the average player to more than double their average score consistently, it's almost like the event was made for eSpurters/try-hards who know how to game the system (let's not get started on the eSpurters backroom meetings with PGI)...

Posted Image

Well mashed = 0-125
Bottom Tier = 126-175
Average = 176-275
Top tier = 276-350
Try-hard eSpurters = 351+

The other-half, the impression people make when I drop with them. I'll call people out on the forum when they start bringing up numbers but a few of them are actually fun to drop with. When you see a stat-warrior run nothing but a handful of meta builds it puts their 'tier' in the dirt with the actual potatoes...

#20 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 12 May 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

Look at the Cinco De Mayo event, 500MSx5 expects the average player to more than double their average score consistently, it's almost like the event was made for eSpurters/try-hards who know how to game the system (let's not get started on the eSpurters backroom meetings with PGI)...

You're really hung up on this Illuminati-styled conspiracy stuff, aren't you? It's not much of a backroom meeting if it's widely known about, yeah?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users