What Is A"top Tier" Player?

92 replies to this topic

#41 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:13 AM

I would only call the people who made it to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in World championship "top tier".

All others are just various states of good and bad.

#42 RJF Volkodav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:06 AM

I'm like 99,9% on AMS boards, but still fell like i'm potatoe. And in fact i see some potatoing even oh high levels. Each of us have their own level of "top tier" and opposite. And at the same time i see highly talented players with a good aim, positioning, game understanding that are far ahead of those just farming QP around. But there are not really much of them.

The thing is that even being an average (all games) player generally you can achieve some results playing this game much as its population is soo low. As my friend said once top MWO pilot is a usually at best a medium rate player for other popular competitive game. And we have really low quantity of truly good players in this game as the game itself is not really popular. Most of the bests for sure play in high rank MWO comp teams as comp play the top place to improve/show your skills and (as for me) is just a best part of MWO, however there are the names outside of comp teams that show great performance in battles.

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 13 May 2019 - 02:09 AM.

#43 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:47 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 13 May 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

I would only call the people who made it to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in World championship "top tier".

2nd place is 1st loser

#44 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:48 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 13 May 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

So you think that the best Oceanic team was a lot better than 2nd best US or EU team in 1st MWOWC?

#45 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:20 AM

View PostRJF Volkodav, on 13 May 2019 - 02:06 AM, said:

I'm like 99,9% on AMS boards, but still fell like i'm potatoe.

I was going to post something similar. 99.78% here, and there are definitely still a lot of players who outclass me.

#46 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

Jarls is a good starting point. But take me as an example it shows my KDR as 1.2 or something dismal like that but if you look at the last five months I don’t have a KDR below 1.7. And mind you I troll the **** out of quick play a lot. Top tier pilots are like in the 99 percent consistently. And that’s how you should look at it.

#47 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

The thing about the percentages is its only based on match score times some multiplier for weight class used. That is a poor metric for how good a player truly is. It may mean the player is truly excellent, or it may mean hes good, but excellent at working the system, hiding in the back, not sharing armor, etc. etc. You could be the best brawler-style player in the game, but not have an insane match score average because you are just going to die more often and earlier in that roll. This will inhibit your ability to compile match score match in and match out. That does by no means make you less valuable then a sniper or ATMer/LRMer. Also like Volkadav said there are excellent players on teams outside the top echelon, but they don't get the stats or notoriety because they just choose not to be on the aforementioned teams. If they ran with those teams where they won 9 out of 10 games everyone would most likely fear them as well because theyd be averaging 450+ match score and have a 4/5:1 KDR.

#48 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

You certainly are toptier when the enemy deletes 4 of your mechs with a minimum of 3 enemies stacked against you and barely heeding the rest of the pack .

#49 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 May 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

And even then the gap between 99% and 99.5%+ is a football field. I see some people that are 99.95% and I know there is a decent gap between them and myself for instance yet that on Jarls is only 200 players difference.

This. I'm in the upper 90% and the skillgap between players goes up almost exponentially.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 12 May 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

Well mashed = 0-125
Bottom Tier = 126-175
Average = 176-275
Top tier = 276-350
Try-hard eSpurters = 351+

Have to disagree, my average matchscore is well above 300 (closer to 400 actually) and i am "only" in the upper 90%.
I am not try hard nor top tier.
The event was fairly easy to complete for average players. (not to be rude but i think that some people have a hard time to accept that they have room for improvement and are in fact not even on average skill level).

Matchscore isn't the best indicator for top tier players. I'd personally say that jarl list 99,8% to 99,99% (upper 0,2%) are top tier players. Those are less then 60 people, and i beat a fair share of them when it's only about average matchscore. So, yea, matchscore not saying much.

#50 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

Is there a way to calculate ones average match score?
Would be very interesting.

#51 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

View PostMumuharra, on 13 May 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

Is there a way to calculate ones average match score?
Would be very interesting.

Yes.

#52 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

This is the majority of the Div A players currently, as you can see even among them match score varies a bit.

However, you can expect any of them to carry a solo Q match even when trolling with something "fun".

If you watch comp at all you will know who is "top tier" in the general sense.

In any case, it does not always translate. You can get rather accustomed to always counting on your teammates in comp, and not think about it in FP, Solo/GQ, and get wrecked. Alternatively pug stars and good FP players generally get wrecked when an actual team element is put into place.

In short, watch the game. Watch the mini map in game. You'll quickly see who to follow and maybe emulate.

EDIT: I forgot to include RJF and PHL players, but they also should be included.

EDIT X2: Not to take away from the upper Div B players, just got tired of looking at names!. haha

Edited by McGoat, 13 May 2019 - 09:49 AM.

#53 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostMcGoat, on 13 May 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

However, you can expect any of them to carry a solo Q match even when trolling with something "fun".

I've actually seen quite a few known tournament players getting destroyed by quickplay randomness.
Glad you meantioned "troll and fun".
Not every good or exceptionally good player plays tournaments. I know a couple of people who are extremely good pilots but they just give a darn about stats and often (probably on purpose) field rather "unusual" mechs.
Needless to say they play for fun and not for stats (which is shown on their stats too).

Personally, i dropped "meta" only, means mech and general tactics (pug shields ftw), for a season and oh wonder i got sup 100 placement on JL easily.
So playing for fun or playing for stats can quite heavily influence the placement, even tho my skill level did not change.

#54 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 May 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

I've actually seen quite a few known tournament players getting destroyed by quickplay randomness.
Glad you meantioned "troll and fun".
Not every good or exceptionally good player plays tournaments. I know a couple of people who are extremely good pilots but they just give a darn about stats and often (probably on purpose) field rather "unusual" mechs.
Needless to say they play for fun and not for stats (which is shown on their stats too).

Personally, i dropped "meta" only, means mech and general tactics (pug shields ftw), for a season and oh wonder i got sup 100 placement on JL easily.
So playing for fun or playing for stats can quite heavily influence the placement, even tho my skill level did not change.

View PostMcGoat, on 13 May 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

In any case, it does not always translate. You can get rather accustomed to always counting on your teammates in comp, and not think about it in FP, Solo/GQ, and get wrecked. Alternatively pug stars and good FP players generally get wrecked when an actual team element is put into place.

I attempted to cover that aspect.

Sometimes non meta is just... Fun *gasp* lol

Also, as far as I know, no one I play with chases any stats. Whatever stats there are behind their name comes as a byproduct of them just playing the game, in whatever capacity they sit down to do it in: meta, meme, yoloQ, Comp.

Edited by McGoat, 13 May 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#55 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 May 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

The event was fairly easy to complete for average players. (not to be rude but i think that some people have a hard time to accept that they have room for improvement and are in fact not even on average skill level).

I disagree.

With the average match score sitting somewhere between 200 and 250 asking for 500 is asking them to play twice as good as they normally do, tough but somewhat fair, we all get lucky on occasion; asking them to repeat that feat 5 times in a week is a little excessive.

Be honest, how many times did you hit 600MS during that event.

#56 H I A S

• 4,971 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 May 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

Anything TRUE Top Tier is anything Div A Comp in any region IMO. Be that current or past.

Cool, im Toptier then.

#57 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 May 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

I disagree.

With the average match score sitting somewhere between 200 and 250 asking for 500 is asking them to play twice as good as they normally do, tough but somewhat fair, we all get lucky on occasion; asking them to repeat that feat 5 times in a week is a little excessive.

They asked for a matchscore of 500 or more, the did NOT ask for an average matchscore of 500.
Average matchscore comes from wins and loses.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 May 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Be honest, how many times did you hit 600MS during that event.

dunno, 5-6 times seems about right.
Honestly gimme a challenge for 700MS, i'd try. I want challenges, not participation prizes.
Not like it's impossible to drop 700 or 800MS in a single quickplay match.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 13 May 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#58 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:16 PM

View PostGoodTry, on 13 May 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

Yes.

Nice.
Is this a joke or a real hint („down for maintanance“)?

#59 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 May 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

They asked for a matchscore of 500 or more, the did NOT ask for an average matchscore of 500.

But from the average we can make an educated guess at what people are scoring.

Let's put the score around 225 since that's half way between 200-250, where most players lie.

That means for every match score of 0 you need one at 450 to average 225. That's 50 short of the 500 mark. This is the maximum variance possible. Realistically, even potatoes score more than 0 on a regular basis which correspondingly pulls that upper number down putting 500 even further out of reach.

That means the average player needs to, at minimum, double their average match score to hit the 500 mark. Only those with a 250 average are going to hit the requirement and stay within the bracket.

Doing it once is lucky, doing it 5 times is excessive.

Note: Really should have said 700 for your personalised score requirement given the your stats. Good guess on what your target would be if you were the average player.

#60 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 May 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

dunno, 5-6 times seems about right.
Honestly gimme a challenge for 700MS, i'd try. I want challenges, not participation prizes.
Not like it's impossible to drop 700 or 800MS in a single quickplay match.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 May 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

But from the average we can make an educated guess at what people are scoring.

Let's put the score around 225 since that's half way between 200-250, where most players lie.

That means for every match score of 0 you need one at 450 to average 225. That's 50 short of the 500 mark. This is the maximum variance possible. Realistically, even potatoes score more than 0 on a regular basis which correspondingly pulls that upper number down putting 500 even further out of reach.

That means the average player needs to, at minimum, double their average match score to hit the 500 mark. Only those with a 250 average are going to hit the requirement and stay within the bracket.

Doing it once is lucky, doing it 5 times is excessive.

Note: Really should have said 700 for your personalised score requirement given the your stats. Good guess on what your target would be if you were the average player.

Since we're talking about 700 matchscore, I hit that yesterday doing the medium event playing a 2015 meta stormcrow (2ERLL + 4ERML)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users