72 replies to this topic

#21 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:14 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 01 June 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

Honestly, looking back, it seems like old MechWarriors are a lot more fun. This insane customization that MWO does is kinda over the top, and it seems like it's harder to balance.

They are. Very much so. But there are balance issues, and companies don't seem to care much about balancing and working on the game further after they sold the package to you.

#22 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 01 June 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

Honestly, looking back, it seems like old MechWarriors are a lot more fun. This insane customization that MWO does is kinda over the top, and it seems like it's harder to balance.

The old mechwarriors were by far inferior to MWO in terms of balance though. Even if you view a game like MW4 through the rosiest of rose tinted glasses, it still falls short.

IMHO, the gaps between the top and bottom performing mechs and equipment is generally far closer than in previous titles (unless you count stuff like flamers, in which case the gap is measured in light years). It's kind of on a knife edge - even small changes to weapon systems in MWO can elevate a weapon from 'meh' to 'OMG THIS IS SO OP I HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT ON THE FORUMS'. LRM's got a damage buff of 0.2 once and the game went into meltdown.

People often use MW4 PVP as a comparison point, but the reality of that (in my experience anyway, dabbling in comp) was that there were only the barest handful of competitive mechs and loadouts, and anything outside that niche effective market was so ineffective that it might as well not exist at all. In PVP, you either poptarted as an assault mech at huge range with huge pinpoint alphas or you were insta cored at huge ranges by poptarting assaults with huge pinpoint alphas.

It's the lack of a campaign that does it. You get a far greater diversity of effective loadouts for a campaign, because the AI doesn't exploit build and mech weakness anywhere near as perfectly as other players do.

#23 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 01 June 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

So much this. You lot think they did a crap job? I don't see anybody else trying. Piranha put their livelihoods on the line to make a game based on the IP they and we love and all they seem to get is whiney ******* cussing them out.

"Don't let the game die (MW5 is merely putting the franchise on life support) pass it back to someone who can see the true potential and invest in it to the degree it needs."

Pass it back to who? And why should they? Assuming anybody would pick it up that would be off the backs of Russ and co. who actually restored interest in the franchise in the first place.

Honestly I think some of our esteemed posters here are being a little silly.

^This. We've been playing MW for 7 years thanks to PGI. It's still my favorite game in terms of time invested weekly. It's called loyalty - I don't have to chase the latest bandwagon online game. And, yes I still have fun.

#24 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:38 PM

In MW4, there were Madcat MK II poptarts armed with gauss, hiding around walls and humps. Very static gameplay, as there was little need to go beyond cover. No NASCAR though, but NASCAR would have been heaven sent compared to this.

If players know what they are doing, they can alternate the poptarts, so if one goes down into cover and recharge, the other pops and shoot. This lets people cover each other and it makes it difficult to rush the poptart.

I still poptart myself even after all these years, but on another robot game now.

#25 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:06 AM

Lets all appreciate the true MechWarriorOnline.

#26 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

People keep thinking there are great developers just waiting to snap up the MechWarrior license. There aren't.

It's PGI or nothing.

MWO is objectively a pretty good game. I came into it with next to no Mechwarrior experience, and I've stuck around because the game is good. I've seen tons of games from much more established studios that have come out much worse. Off the top of my head - Rage/Rage2, Anthem (mentioned above) and Mass Effect: Andromeda, Fallout 76, UT3, Dungeon Siege III, and Battleborn. I'm sure there are many others.

Why would a big studio look at all of the carcasses of failed MechWarrior games and BattleTech companies, all of the Harmony Gold lawsuits, and all of the MS/Topps/HG licensing issues, and conclude "oh yeah, THAT's where I want to bet my money!"

The only way it's going to happen is by companies whose employees' love for the franchise outweighs their rational business sense. And that's basically PGI or HBS.

#27 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

To sum up, passion a thing, does not equate to quality in a thing.

#28 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

I keep hearing you should listen to the players...

My response to that...

The biggest mistake PGI has ever made was listening to the crying ******* in the forums.

#29 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 08 June 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

I keep hearing you should listen to the players...

My response to that...

The biggest mistake PGI has ever made was listening to the crying ******* in the forums.

Yeah thats normally how most games get ******.
The casul crowd can kill everything.

#30 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:01 PM

Ermmmm... PGI spent money on that license... Why would they ever give it back before it expires? That would be the worst business decision I ever heard of...

#31 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

So, you're saying there's no player input? Well, when PGI make any sort of change to the game they take feedback from forums and make that change accordingly, but then all the tryhard forum warriors who can't adapt to any sort of changes come in and say: "REVERT IT!" and then say that there is no player input because nobody listens to them and their whining. I started playing this game because of how much I enjoyed previous MW games and because I wanted to have fun with other players instead of AI. I think PGI is doing a really good job developing this game. Sure, there might be some fails like the latest FP changes, but let's be honest, every game developer company has fails like this.
So, PGI is not doing anything wrong, it's just all the forum crybabies who are taking fun away from everyone else by whining about even small changes to the game they can't adapt to. These people are the main problem with MWO.

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 08 June 2019 - 12:50 PM.

#32 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:26 PM

Protip; You can both adapt to changes and think they are bad.

#33 Stink Bug

• PipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:46 PM

View Postadmiralbenbow123, on 08 June 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

So, you're saying there's no player input? Well, when PGI make any sort of change to the game they take feedback from forums and make that change accordingly, but then all the tryhard forum warriors who can't adapt to any sort of changes come in and say: "REVERT IT!" and then say that there is no player input because nobody listens to them and their whining. I started playing this game because of how much I enjoyed previous MW games and because I wanted to have fun with other players instead of AI. I think PGI is doing a really good job developing this game. Sure, there might be some fails like the latest FP changes, but let's be honest, every game developer company has fails like this.
So, PGI is not doing anything wrong, it's just all the forum crybabies who are taking fun away from everyone else by whining about even small changes to the game they can't adapt to. These people are the main problem with MWO.

Well stated. It's almost hilarious how even a tiny 1% change to favored cookie-cutter meta builds will have half the forum up in arms like the sky is falling.

#34 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostJackofallpots, on 01 June 2019 - 05:11 AM, said:

Who is the mech designer again? Alex Iglesias? I could see MS snatching him up and letting his designs really shine.

The day Alex Iglesias leaves PGI is the day MWO is truly dead.

Edited by Anjian, 08 June 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#35 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:15 PM

View PostGoodTry, on 03 June 2019 - 05:50 AM, said:

People keep thinking there are great developers just waiting to snap up the MechWarrior license. There aren't.

It's PGI or nothing.

MWO is objectively a pretty good game. I came into it with next to no Mechwarrior experience, and I've stuck around because the game is good. I've seen tons of games from much more established studios that have come out much worse. Off the top of my head - Rage/Rage2, Anthem (mentioned above) and Mass Effect: Andromeda, Fallout 76, UT3, Dungeon Siege III, and Battleborn. I'm sure there are many others.

Why would a big studio look at all of the carcasses of failed MechWarrior games and BattleTech companies, all of the Harmony Gold lawsuits, and all of the MS/Topps/HG licensing issues, and conclude "oh yeah, THAT's where I want to bet my money!"

The only way it's going to happen is by companies whose employees' love for the franchise outweighs their rational business sense. And that's basically PGI or HBS.

That's because a good robo-shooter can prove to be financially viable. Whether they want to do it through the Battletech IP or some other existing IP, or make their own IP, that's another question.

Edited by Anjian, 08 June 2019 - 07:16 PM.

#36 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

inb4

MWO2 (on mobile)

.. what? don't you guys have phones?

#37 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

While MWO does lack a certain finesse in execution, it is still the best Mechwarrior arena shooter to date, just as MW5 will be the best campaign to date. Best =/= Perfect

#38 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

What is there to "hand over"?

PGI bought the rights to make mwo and mw5 from Microsoft, if another dev wants to make a Mechwarrior title what's stopping them from licensing that game from Microsoft?

#39 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

Couldn't get mech contact to work properly should have been a clue to everyone. Without the chance of severe consequences of mechs colliding it opened up a world of crappy "tactics". The truth is that colliding with another mech actually slowed the engagement times and paced the combat because people stayed in formations and paid attention to their surroundings. The best light pilots the game has had come from a time where a pilot not paying attention was eating dirt and probably vaporized before it got up. No standing in front of or around mechs with impunity.

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 09 June 2019 - 08:48 AM.

#40 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostAnjian, on 08 June 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

The day Alex Iglesias leaves PGI is the day MWO is truly dead.

Alex is to pgi what lebron was to the cavs when he was first drafted.

He and the rest of the art team are single handedly financing mw5 and keeping mwo alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users