72 replies to this topic

#61 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:28 PM

^

FWIW, this is also by far the best playing and balanced game in the series.

They made some really good decisions on how to implement some of the equipment. (and others not so much..)

I especially love how lasers work in this iteration of the series; I hope any future games developed utilize the burn time mechanic. Previous games you could turn and shield, but no other game in the series as let you soak damage like MWO does.

#62 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 12 June 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

Unfortunately, I don't think the game will last long enough that you will change your mind. Its only a question of time - until you say - I can't take no more of this but sooner or later you end on the same island

As a founder you have been around long enough to know that people have said that this game was going to die just about every year since it started, but it is still here and I can still get a QP match in less than two minutes at any time of the day or night, so there are still plenty of players.

#63 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 12 June 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

^

FWIW, this is also by far the best playing and balanced game in the series.

They made some really good decisions on how to implement some of the equipment. (and others not so much..)

I especially love how lasers work in this iteration of the series; I hope any future games developed utilize the burn time mechanic. Previous games you could turn and shield, but no other game in the series as let you soak damage like MWO does.

Ive noticed the problem. You think balance is something we all want.

Oh no. No. Nononononono.

Many here don't want that. Seriously. There's a reason why so many people keep using the "but in lore..." argument.

#64 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 13 June 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

As a founder you have been around long enough to know that people have said that this game was going to die just about every year since it started, but it is still here and I can still get a QP match in less than two minutes at any time of the day or night, so there are still plenty of players.

Yea people have bin pronouncing MWO death for years now and its still here.

#65 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 12 June 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

6-10 people in LL was better than the current FP model and QP with all the PGI "tweaks" to the title. I wonder just exactly how long the LL guys thought about "ghost heat" before saying nope.

if i were actually so amazing, you'd have seen more than 6-10 people. think about it. Or don't. I'm betting on the latter.

#66 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

You can't make everybody happy. I think PGI is doing fine, especially for a FREE TO PLAY game. I'll keep spending real money for colors and paint jobs and mech bays and the ocational Hero mech, because, well, I'm old, and I know what it's like to never be able to play PVP in MW2, MW3, etc. Playing only the computer eventually becomes lame, eventually. PVP is constantly evolving.

We have a fairly small player base, ~25,000 world wide. It takes a special skill set and personality to play this game, not everyone was (freeborn) to be a Mechwarrior, much less to actually be good at it.

There's a reason so many people would rather watch than play. So, thanks PGI for basically providing something that some people have greatly desired for decades.

I think a lot of the dis-satisfaction comes from younger gen people, who are used to everything being

ETA, if you don't like it, whip out a MW2 CD, and fire up your own server. Posted Image

Edited by John McClintock, 14 June 2019 - 06:45 PM.

#67 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:28 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 12 June 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

How so? For large parts of it's existence, MW:LL had more servers (around 15) than players online at any given time. It quite literally averaged 10 players online in peak times over years. Worldwide. Its all time peak is something around 140 people playing at a time if i'm not mistaken. Again, worldwide.

If anything, those numbers show a passionate development team that put way more work into a mod than the playerbase they are reaching objectively justifies (which you have to give them credit for, they really were passionate about their project). And they are a massive "stay away" sign for any AAA-Publisher, alarming anyone who is in for big money to stay the f*ck away as far as possible from the IP.

Your assesment would be justified if MW:LL ever had a large fanbase that would have justified an commercial investment into an official game. But this never was the case. Far from it. Quite the opposite, really.

Yeah, I remember this teaser for MW5 from before MWO was announced. Yeah the Atlas really needed some work, but otherwise it looked pretty good:

Edited by Ed Steele, 15 June 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#68 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:47 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 13 June 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

Ive noticed the problem. You think balance is something we all want.

Oh no. No. Nononononono.

Many here don't want that. Seriously. There's a reason why so many people keep using the "but in lore..." argument.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

Even Battletech (the board game and the PC game) have done balance passes. If the turn based and board game make concessions so to must the action series.

You can make yourself super OP in MW5, don't worry about that.

#69 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:15 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 15 June 2019 - 11:28 PM, said:

Yeah, I remember this teaser for MW5 from before MWO was announced. Yeah the Atlas really needed some work, but otherwise it looked pretty good:

Hopefully Mechwarrior 5 has Cityscapes like dat
Coz when I seen dat Video years back, dat was what I was expecting
Mechwarrior 5

not MWO.....
doh Im not sorry about MWO being created or anything
its great for a PvP arena shooter, bit old now not so fresh doh

Still only mechwarrior PvP in town

But been waiting long long long long LONG TIME, since Mechwarrior 4 Mercs for Mechwarrior 5 Mercs
How long dat?

Give us some early access PGI so I can Beta Test my HOTAS and head tracker

Pew Pew

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 16 June 2019 - 01:29 AM.

#70 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:47 AM

View PostCaptain Caveman DE, on 01 June 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

careful now guys. I know of a certain ninja urbie who just got 3 days of vacation for 'being negative' on the forums.

so... shiny happy people, everybody! #bestgameever #beststateofthegameever
#drowninginnewplayers and so on Posted Image

that being said: since they have NO interest in listening to their customers, they shouldn't be surprised they are in the state they're in right now.
maybe a different licence-holder might listen, you never know. *preparing for another visit from the StaSi*

They did listen to their customers, hence a solo q in a multiplayer game. which is insanity.
the playerbase has put mwo where it is now.

#71 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:40 AM

Solo queue is the largest by a country mile in a multiplayer game.lol
The other queues aren't as successful
Go figure

#72 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

Hopefully Mechwarrior 5 has Cityscapes like dat
Coz when I seen dat Video years back, dat was what I was expecting
Mechwarrior 5

only by the handfull Handcreated Mission Maps we have the Chance to see it...procedual Terrain (or modules with this) can not create Streets, Rivers ,Bridges or things thats follow higher logical placements as a simple Algorithm from a Gameengine today..its the same Problem like No mans sky.
Only when Modders find ideas to create Modules with Citytheme ,what a big problem by the small Size o the Modules, or build handcrafted maps.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 17 June 2019 - 04:45 AM.

#73 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

I wouldn't give PGI credit for the longlivety of MWO. It's the (paying) community that keeps it going. If this game would't be a Mechwarrior game it would have died years ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users