The King Is Dead! .....long Live The King!

86 replies to this topic

#81 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:55 PM

View PostMystere, on 03 June 2019 - 05:51 PM, said:

And this is where I butt in just to disagree ...

IDF is the LRM's reason to be, its "thing". Making the weapon ***worse*** at its "thing" is not a "good thing", not even close.

Well unfortunately, the LRMs became better at everything else, that made it so that it's a respectable weapon. I mean when was the last time the LRMs got **** on in the forums?

That's just an excuse for every Background Lurmers everywhere to not git-gud.

#82 Thiccacuga

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 03 June 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

Some of us have higher standards.

That doesn't make us elitists, it means we want to improve the situation.

And trust me, the bar isn't high at the moment.

This isn't some amazing one of a kind situation, this is a case of people mismanaging development, and becoming dissociated with both the community and what the community wants for years, which spells doom for a game. Not a doom as in death (though now it might be), but more of a doom of mediocrity and a slow pathetic decline.

They've already admitted that MWO is a sinking ship by admission of no longer being self sustainable, and their continual success banks on MW5 being a successful product. This is poor business practice, and adds credence to PGI being a poor game development company. And those still invested in MWO are going to feel the sting.

They've shot themselves in the foot, and have exacerbated the situation through poor PR. Who the hell wants to buy/support something that could become abandonware within the next year or so? Why would anyone care or respect the developers in terms of MWO after this information?

So a lot of us are coming to the conclusion that this is all MWO will ever be. An esports wanabe that does everything to a bare minimum in the most arcadey way possible surviving on a polished pipeline model by taxing its community whales whilst returning the same thing in different shapes, and throws away any saved resources on failed fads, whilst trying to squeeze that last penny with superfluous sales.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they milk co-op related expansions from MW5, and port their mech art assets over as dlc.

The issue that people are pushing and the reason why I use the term "elitist" is exactly the same thing. MWO wasn't ever an esport, it had competitive stuff as any game would. Esports as a concept is a buzzword that business models are using for a selling point, and people buying into a game purely for that are absolutely what kills a game.

Besides the fact that what you're saying is absolute bull (PGI keeps breaking the game by not listening, PGI keeps breaking the game by listening to not us) the reason why you perceive this game as somehow dying is because your expectations are significantly higher than what this game actually is; a stompy pew pew game with big fat robots. To be frank I'm not surprised the dev team doesn't like interacting with people here, reading the first page of the general discussion is nothing but screaming and crying from like 5 people who think buying a mech pack = buying stocks and investment into a game.

But hey, keep crying about how evil PGI is and how people like me who don't care enough are obviously just trolls. I'm sure your tiny circlejerk of about 5-6 people sniffing their own farts while saying they know better than the rest of the people here will change this game. Eventually. But the situation won't improve, because even if they listened to the 5 of you, you'll probably trash this game for everyone else.

Edited by CuddlyZebesian, 03 June 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#83 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:40 PM

Meh. I'm having fun.

But yes, hearing anything sounding like "doooom" is ... definitely disincentivising people from putting money down.

MW5 should, frankly, be feeding back into MWO ("Hey, this thing works great there, this is a popular map, let's make a new version of this terrain for online") and vice versa.

#84 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

View PostBlacksheep One, on 03 June 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Meh. I'm having fun.

But yes, hearing anything sounding like "doooom" is ... definitely disincentivising people from putting money down.

MW5 should, frankly, be feeding back into MWO ("Hey, this thing works great there, this is a popular map, let's make a new version of this terrain for online") and vice versa.

Why would they support MWO at this point, a product that can't sustain itself?

#85 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

Wow, well I have been gone and came back a couple times, I took two years off the last time and this is what's going on huh?
Here is something I saw on reddit after I Googled MWO.������
(Edited repost from other thread): Started with MWO at the very beginning and I played a lot for a few years, then I stopped playing and came back here and there the last 4 years. From the start I watched some good ideas happen and some better ideas get twisted and implemented in some of most frustrating ways, then there were the mind numbing epic failures of bad ideas that made their way into MWO via the top down from (PGI), .. FFS it was never "Rocket Surgery", seriously it was all numbers and hit boxes and they (PGI) acted like it was this huge mystery that only a handful of wizards could understand. We all know years later that all of the excuses about "it's so hard to tune the damage and hit boxes" bullsh!t was just a smoke screen for the ol', "ok this Mech isn't selling so well and we have a new one coming out so it's time to Nerf or Buff that Mech! (or weapon system)".. There is absolutely no debate on the never ending BALANCING BS, it happened and it happened consistently for years. Maybe it was the only way to keep MWO alive and selling Mechs instead of pilots only owning a small handful of Mechs that they had become God Like with... The way community warfare was implemented killed MWO as much as any other bad implementation of an otherwise good idea. MWO went too far in certain directions of things like community warfare and there is no way to go back and remake anything, so CW is a complete loss and what was supposed to be the "Big Draw" to maintain a player base failed. CW is past the point of no return, they (PGI) don't want to waste resources on remaking CW into something fun and viable and the other poorly implemented decisions are stuck in this repeating loop of mediocrity. PGI got tunnel vision and didn't have a contingency plan for CW not working or endless balancing BS not working. Too bad they couldn't dumb down CW a bit to get randoms and casuals to be interested. Wouldn't that p!ss off the old hardcore fans, just imagine the forums then. In the end MWO isn't something that even the most Hard Core BT fan can't walk away from or have pulled out from under them. This was always a BUSINESS to make money, made by people that meant well and had good intentions and honestly MWO lasted longer than I thought it was going to.. Face it, we all know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I don't regret the good times I had and some of the friends I made but when the music's over the dance ends it's last call so turn on the lights and grab your coats, it's time to go home.

Edited by Odins Fist, 03 June 2019 - 06:44 PM.

#86 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

I don't think they can fix CW/FP in such a way as to make it attractive to more than a few people.

The vast majority of players like the 5-9 minute matches of quick play.

#87 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, the ship for a CW/FW for all has sailed long ago

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users