24 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:51 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 June 2019 - 12:25 AM, said:

Ok so you made two claims, both of the grossly incorrect.
  • The IV is a "broken" mech.
  • There is an issue with the way MWO was calculating mech health percentages.
At what point have you rested your case exactly?

I rested your case with evidence and I'm apparently sensitive... And now you're once again trying to deflect the conversation in another direction.

FWIW, that comment is an attempt at low key throwing a hackusation, a tinfoil-PGI-Esports comment, and shade your way.

I can see how you wouldn't notice; all of those things are baseless.

#22 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:22 AM

The IV-4 is a very good mech and Ash is a very good player, but it seems like the OP and several commentators are confused about the connection between a mech's tonnage and its hitpoints. I can help with that.

I will use my own IV-4 as a reference, since I don't know exactly how Ash builds his. You can see it here: https://mech.nav-alp...a6a8520_QKD-IV4

I will then recreate the mech using the build rules for the Battletech board game. The result can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/YMEcuUi.png

It is half of a ton overweight since the construction rules do not actually allow for an XL290. The flexibility in engine choice amounts for much of how highly optimized MWO mech designs can be. It also has half of the armour and structure, since MWO doubles our hit points in order to make games last a bit longer.

Some of the key numbers are here:
Posted Image
The armour takes 10 tons and the rest is equipment. So the hit points of the mech count for 13 tons of the 60 ton machine. That 13 tons is all of what the paperdoll and the percentage value in the HUD track.

Your mech may still be operational with just one point of structure remaining in center torso, head and one leg. Add one point for each side torso for my XL build or one torso for Ash's LFE build. Equipment is damaged trough critical hits, which is not directly connected to the amount of damage that counts against your armour and structure hit points.

Damaging the structure is likely to be associated with critical hits if you are not very unlucky, but you can still end up dealing several critical hits with very little actual damage or no critical hits at all with enough damage to kill a mech several times over. The underlying game mechanics for critical hits are different for the board game and for MWO, but the end result is similar. Typical way for a mech to be destroyed in the board game is for the engine to take several critical hits, but MWO does not allow for engine crits, which increases mech survivability further in addition to our doubled hit points.

Ash mentioned crit padding, which is the practice of having several vulnerable pieces of equipment in the same locations on your mech. When you score a critical hit on that location, there is a chance it counts against one of the less important pieces and leaves your weapon intact. This is a relevant part of mech optimization in both MWO and the board game, though engine counts in the board game and does not count in MWO.

Edited by Gagis, 22 June 2019 - 01:31 AM.

#23 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:28 AM

OP, you just missed your sale on this mech. While it is STRONG it's not op. I bought it after ASH recommended it. While it doesn't work to the degree for me as he has illustrated you can do good things with it. Far from broken. Now with the way PGI makes things no purchase should be made without reviewing quirks. Go look some up and see what suits your style.

#24 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

View Postcougurt, on 21 June 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

https://mech.nav-alp...7501a3e2_GRF-2N

i'd probably do something more like this, but yeah, the IV4 wins either way. the combination of offensive and defensive quirks along with excellent agility just can't be beat.

The best med for the job is the super-quirked Treb. It's not as tanky as the IV-4 but its offensive output is great.

#25 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 22 June 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

The best med for the job is the super-quirked Treb. It's not as tanky as the IV-4 but its offensive output is great.

for sure, the trebuchet is crazy. some other ones worth mentioning would be the wolverine 7D/7K, kintaro 18, and dervish 6M.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users