#21 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:55 AM

View PostVxheous, on 25 June 2019 - 12:20 AM, said:

LOL, 10 heat for gauss, you are out of your f*#king mind. I would take 1 heat + exploding gauss rifle over 10 heat gauss 100% of the time. Gauss is a 17 ton investment (15 tons + 2 tons ammo), 10 heat gauss makes the weapon system DOA. No one would use it at all.

Context guy, context.
As written before - when FASA would have their brains together the Gauss would never had its stats of 15dmg at extreme range for 1 point of heat, as well as the LB10X would not be lighter and smaller compared to the AC10 - for less heat and more range.
They were completely out of their mind - when they brought the Clams to the table.

And when they had done the right thing Gauss 15dmg 10 heat long range 8-10shots per ton Minus the exploding, then PGI would have done the same.

And for your DOA cries - who the **** cares - first its not going to happen because its pure hypothetical and yeah it would not be a good choice in MWO because of the game mechanics (lets double armor stats and call it a day stupidy)

#22 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:29 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 June 2019 - 12:13 AM, said:

Well the Gauss is a strange snowflake and PGIs strange following the tabletop stats rammed the ship right unto the very first sandbank from day one.

Consider it from this angle. The AC5, PPC combo is as effective as the Gauss when put into the same location.
although it haa slower velocity, less range and much more heat. Crits and weight are identical.

The only draw back of the gauss was that it could explode and thus was not an event that did hapoen often, at the beginning.
With the right design decision - Gauss=10heat you could have prevented a lot of those endless and unnecessary balance changes.

Gauss being practically heatless is a very very big deal, and right now it is balanced by supposedly low ROF and charge -- amongst other advantages.

The real issue is the IS vs Clan side of things. 2x AC5 + 2x PPC is largely irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree that some amount of heat would at least be a good avenue of balance opportunities. Gauss-Vomit is particularly effective because of the Gauss with the mix, so giving it say 3 for IS and 4 for Clans, (2 for LGR and 5 for HGR), would have been finally a good way to balance it. It's still relatively pretty cold, considering that you're doing a hell lot of PPFLD for such a low amount of heat. it's still waaaay disproportionately high damage/heat.

At least it would have been a good way to balance things, if Gauss-Vomit was as effective now as it was before, prior to dang PGI messing up with the general mobility.

But naaah man, lets just keep the low heat, in favor of making the clans more unfun to play.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 25 June 2019 - 01:39 AM.

#23 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

In my opinion, The biggest problem is the charge up time for Gauss. Since they have Gauss explosions, why do they have charge up times? It's like giving the Gauss users a double slap in the face. My biggest beef with a 2X Heavy Gauss is when I fire at a light Mesh from 30 to 60 meters away which is point bank range and in most cases, should guarantee you a kill, hardly anything happens. In one case, I shot at a medium mech 3 times and it was still standing. Posted Image

With all the negatives, I do much better with Clan UAC's

#24 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

you don't shoot lights at point blank, the turn speed is to fast a ping of 100 is enough for the difference.
Not to mention that 30-60m is always mech hide to mech hide because the scaling in size and fish-eye effect is completely off, also I don't think that most mechs with 2 HGR can hit a Mech at those distances at all because of the limited torso pitch and the size of the light.

hsr is a ***** the closer the worser. use awareness and shoot the bugger at distances of 200m or more. you can even hit a Locust at full speed with AC20. Then the reason nobody drive lights show its ugky face. and at extreme ranges when you are mot a dum-dum to use advanced zoom almost every shot is a hit.

the gauss charge is just a problem? funny its the thing that increases you accuracy by far (to release a buttonis faster then clicking that button)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 25 June 2019 - 11:43 PM.

#25 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 25 June 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

My biggest beef with a 2X Heavy Gauss is when I fire at a light Mesh from 30 to 60 meters away which is point bank range and in most cases, should guarantee you a kill, hardly anything happens.

lul.

#26 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 25 June 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

In my opinion, The biggest problem is the charge up time for Gauss. Since they have Gauss explosions, why do they have charge up times? It's like giving the Gauss users a double slap in the face.

The charge-up should have been on the PPC's. It would have achieved the same thing (offsetting the gauss/PPC combo) and gave each weapon a little more flavour given they serve a similar role:

Gauss - Instant Shot + Ammo dependency + Weight
PPC - Charge shot + Unlimited ammo + Heat

It would also allow the IS PPC family a little more flavour between their ppeps, lights peeps get shorter charges and Heavies have it longer. Currently they're all mechanically the same, the light vs. standard vs. heavy is just 1 ton vs. 1 hardpoint step ups. The Gauss already have the damage/range differences diversifying them.

#27 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

The guass has ALWAYS been broken.. AND it got even more broken when the introduction of clan weapons started

The way it registers being hit to how it hitting something..

and the way it works with critical chance, explosion, NON explosive ammo, and its HIGHLY explosive weapon it self...

ALWAYS been broken...

Of course i dont know anything, because stats and the fewer amount of responses to this lot....

ENJOY <o

I do <3 that 1000x critical chance on the heavyG

"magic critical"

#28 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 June 2019 - 03:45 AM, said:

The charge-up should have been on the PPC's. It would have achieved the same thing (offsetting the gauss/PPC combo) and gave each weapon a little more flavour given they serve a similar role:

The PPC is already different from lasers by virtue of being PPFLD. The real issue was the Gauss Rifle being an ER AC/15.

Also, giving the charge-up to PPCs instead of Gauss would've made Gauss + Laser combos even stronger than they already were.

#29 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostFupDup, on 26 June 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

The PPC is already different from lasers by virtue of being PPFLD. The real issue was the Gauss Rifle being an ER AC/15.

Was talking Gauss vs. PPC.

#30 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 June 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Was talking Gauss vs. PPC.

For some reason I got it into my head that you mentioned the PPC vs. other energy weapons. Le derpface.

The rest still stands tho. It's a good thing that the Gauss Rifle is no longer an Extended-Range Autocannon 15.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users