Matchmaking

20 replies to this topic

#1 Thariel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

Are you serious? Trying to drop with just 2 man is already close to impossible, i can just imagine the hell of trying to drop with a 4 or 5 man.

I just don't understand the whole mechanics, or better the problem.

Each team is 12 mechs.. so the team of 2/3 /4 whatever is just put into oen of those 12-man groups and then the group is filled up with whoever is searching. Same as if everybody is just deploying solo.

The end result may be something like this. What is the problem here. I don't see any.

12_____ 12
1 5
2 1
1 1
1 1
1 1
3 1
2 1
1 1

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

GQ is all but deserted outside of NA prime time (~7PM eastern to midnight-ish). Even during that time, smaller groups have it harder than larger, and odd numbers harder than even. There is a bit more flexibility on the weekends, but its still hit and miss. Nothing for it.

If you are advocating that individuals should be able to voluntary join the GQ (I really can't tell from your OP) then yes, that would be nice under certain circumstances, but I can't imagine PGI is going to make that happen. Alas.

#3 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

Pretty sure with the numbers now in the 500s, MM isn't active, and if is, at that point will be highly inefficient where there is no choice but for the MM to fill the slots as quickly as possible bar any further advanced MM logic/algo.

Quite simply there are not enough people playing anymore. It is what it is, MWO had a good run, as said many times already, its in Maint mode...ie ride it out till the wheels fall off.

#4 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

Larger the group the easier to find a match. 2 man takes forever.

#5 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

6 man seems to be the sweet spot.

I wish they'd just let solos opt into GQ; but that'd probably adversely affect SQ.

#6 Thariel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:21 PM

I don't know the terms GQ and SQ
My guess is group Queue and Single player Queue. So is there a different one ?
What a nonsense. Outsie organized fights group don't have any benefits, for people in the group are playing for fun with random mechs same as they do solo. Just together with friends

#7 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:13 PM

I suggested to use solo "fill-in-Players" for the Group Queue. Maybe up to 3 solo Players per side. The Group qeue will still be a place for coordinated Teams but the waiting times will be lower.

#8 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:31 PM

A box to check if you also want to be queued in GQ as a solo player. That might help. Shouldnt be hard to do and nobody is forced to play GQ.

#9 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:51 AM

View PostKotzi, on 10 July 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

A box to check if you also want to be queued in GQ as a solo player. That might help. Shouldnt be hard to do and nobody is forced to play GQ.

Exactely…. but will pgi listen to us….?
I mean: " I feel like the only thing we really do, outside of our main feature development, is listen to the community. -Russ Bullock March 2, 2018. "

#10 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:00 AM

I had suggested that option as well. I don't mind playing as a solo in GQ. But that isn't a wise choice and won't be incorporated apparently.

#11 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:04 AM

Well they got the "data"... #roundtable

#12 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:53 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 11 July 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

Exactely…. but will pgi listen to us….?
I mean: " I feel like the only thing we really do, outside of our main feature development, is listen to the community. -Russ Bullock March 2, 2018. "

But how many people would actualy chose the GQ option? For what reason?

#13 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:18 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 11 July 2019 - 02:53 AM, said:

Personally I wouldn't have a problem adding Group Queue Server to my Solo Queue servers without any additional incentive. I've played this game long enough that I feel I know what I'm doing and I can get an idea of what my teammates are doing and what the enemy is doing so long as I have enough information on the screen. In a group queue scenario I know I'm not going to be the one dropcalling or calling out tactics, I'll be the one following the orders to the best of my abilities regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them.

If they feel they need to give incentive to singles in group queue it could be increased XP and/or c-bills for the match, a small amount of MC, or an acceleration of the supply cache bar. Maybe restrict the option to tier 1 players just so that while you may not get a good player dropping as a single in group, you'll at least get one who's played the game long enough to know the maps.

#14 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:24 AM

I would totally do this, coz everything is better than SQ. And then i`d syncdrop with my buddy in it, hell yeah..

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:25 AM

But how many people would actually chose the GQ option? For what reason?

Likely quite a few at first then it would fade. It would still need restrictions. Think of it as Faction Play without respawns.... Posted Image
-- Max 3 solo per side
-- Opt into GroupQ but can not opt out of SoloQ

Now turn that around to add some spice.
-- Allow duo to opt into SoloQ but can not opt out of GroupQ
-- Only 1 team/side, nor can the drop happen w/side with a team.
-- Use higher Tier lvl for selection, no avg for SoloQ
-- Weight classes would not be ignore, only that the duo on each side would not require matching weight class.
-- Weight class - likely would need to restrict a duo to drop in different weight class, no double assault, etc.
-- Additional restriction for duo. Players, not mechs, are locked out of dropping into another match until the current match has ended. A timer penalty would not be a preventive enough to discourage suicides/running into the enemy to end the game quickly due to being selected to drop into GroupQ instead of SoloQ

The above could potentially add more grouped players to the system.

Previously, then the ability to actually form groups the game only had that one queue. No unit tags, no in-game VOIP (thus grouped players had a huge advantage majority using external VOIP, and max team size was 8vs8....and it started off with max group size of 4....in an 8vs8 environment with VOIP advantage, sync dropping, etc... some other things

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 11 July 2019 - 03:37 AM.

#16 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:53 AM

Hopefully enough that MM needs way less time to setup a match. And thats the reason too. I would rather go group queue than wait too long and chances are higher that you have some sort of teamplay imho. If you cant handle that all, uncheck, no harm done. Solo Queue should not be impacted that much because MM its easier to fill slots there. And no one will be annoyed because groups invade SQ.

#17 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:07 AM

It was fun but perhaps.....

Posted Image

#18 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

Solo opt-in to GQ sounds great in theory, but in reality 90%+ who select that option will be in the bottom 10% of players. The vast majority of good players who want to play GQ will form a group themselves. This leaves those unable to form a group (no friends) and the kinds of players who bring trial decks to FP. Within a month the crying and whining will be unbearable and PGI will roll back the changes.

#19 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 11 July 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

Solo opt-in to GQ sounds great in theory, but in reality 90%+ who select that option will be in the bottom 10% of players. The vast majority of good players who want to play GQ will form a group themselves. This leaves those unable to form a group (no friends) and the kinds of players who bring trial decks to FP. Within a month the crying and whining will be unbearable and PGI will roll back the changes.

According to the Jarl's List I'm in the 82nd percentile with an average match score of 248 and that's 100% solo drops. I personally like the solo queue because I never know what kind of team I'll get and what they'll want to do, and for me it's about observing what my teammates are doing and figuring out how to put my mech in the best position to be effective. I also work the graveyard shift and weekends (my days off are in the middle of the week) so it would be difficult for me to regularly group up.

As for only getting solo players, I'd think the majority of people checking the option would be group queue veterans playing off-hours from when their group usually plays. It should only be meant to fill the odd slot too - maybe 1 to 3 single players per match with 2 maximum per team (the earlier suggestion of up to 3 per team is way too many in my mind) and only after waiting a bit for a full group queue to form. Even if it becomes an option I would think I'd still usually end up in a solo queue match instead of group queue.

#20 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

We've been saying that there isn't a good way to play with friends for years. But instead of making something that is inclusive to playing with friends. We got...Solaris. Another competitive game mode that you can't really enjoy with your new player friends.

It's such an obvious problem. One that hurt the game from the start. But hey, we got an e-sports tournament..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users