Will Mechwarrior 5 Suffer A Speed Cap Like Mwo?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:37 AM

the largest amount of KPH I recall for MWO was a 174kph Commando back when the engine speed quirks were 10% instead of the current bonus. I've checked the AMA's and I have not found any information on engine speed caps. Does anyone know?

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

MW5 will very probably not have the ability for engine swaps - each Mech Variant will have set its Speed to the according lore value.

#3 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 07 July 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

MW5 will very probably not have the ability for engine swaps - each Mech Variant will have set its Speed to the according lore value.

I really hope there is a black market where Engines can be bought for high prices or low prices with a chance of being scammed (maybe go bounty hunting)

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

No, you're welcome to mod mechs to go 300 kph

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:03 PM

I'm pretty sure the Flea's MASC variants can go faster than the Commando.

#6 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

Good lord do I hate the 3025 mechs, because they like to stick lamborgini engines hooked up to a GE AC4400CW Locomotive in everything. This results in having a 40 ton engine in a 60t mech with no space for guns or armor.......

Dragon, QUickdraw, Banshee, just to name a few.....ugh.......

Everything is so undergunned. Its no wonder the Clans whipped the IS asses when they first invaded. 90t Banshee, it moves 64 KPH and has like 4 guns and 10tons of armor. Hellbringer, it weighs 65 tons and has 2 PPCs, SRMs, ECM, Medium Lasers, Small lasers, armor and it to moves 64 KPH.....Or ****, even the 55t Stormcrow, that thing is easily on par with IS 65-70 tonners.....

I think locked engines is a part of why I dont enjoy HBS Battletech nearly as much as I would otherwise......

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 08 July 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#7 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

Why would an Unreal Engine 4 product have a limitation which is intrinsic to a product built in Cryengine?

#8 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

If you have a problem about MW5 sticking to lore specifications and limitations, I suggest hoping/ working for mods regarding the addiction to agility and speed. THAT or stick to twitchy cod, arcade nonsense.
No, let MW5 be authentic as much as possible, since MWO failed in that regard due to being arcady, semi simulator mech game. Or shall we say, COD with mech suits?!

#9 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

im pretty sure there will be customisation to increase or decrease your engine. as to whether or not it would be capped on a chassis basis... i couldnt say. older installations of the games had some limitations, but MW2 mercs, which i believe MW5 Mercs is loosely based on, had ZERO caps on anything. want an atlas that does 99kph with one head laser? go for it. or make it super slow and put 22 med pulse on it. alpha and explode but still, you could do it.

#10 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

I'm hoping for a nice slow, tanky experience with non-optimised builds and long TTK. Got a nice HOTAS, keen for a rather different experience to MWO. Not interested in 190kmh lights, or I'd be playing fortnite

#11 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

Given it's meant to be out reasonably soon should we not have more info about this kind of stuff?

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:45 PM

I think, mech customisation was a topic in one of the early AMAs and it's said to be quite restrictve, to emphasise the role of the different chassis variants. So don't expect engine swap without using mods.

#13 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:34 PM

They said on a few occasions that it will not have the MWO-Mechlab bcs that would invalidate the hunt for better Mech Variants - it will be quite limited.

I find that reasonsable and keep in mind that it is also said the game will have modability so there is a good chance some mod will address needs for all kinds of things including more speed.

Edited by Thorqemada, 08 July 2019 - 10:36 PM.

#14 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

Default game is going to be slow for mechdad appeal.

#15 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 July 2019 - 10:35 PM, said:

Default game is going to be slow for mechdad appeal.

Most people don't mod, so if so, won't get very good reviews...

#16 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

Catering to a small core group instead of doing a reboot to fix everything is one of the reasons why the IP is in bad shape.

#17 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:06 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 July 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

Catering to a small core group instead of doing a reboot to fix everything is one of the reasons why the IP is in bad shape.

There are more mechdads then adhs-kids in this ip. ;)

#18 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:15 AM

There are more Millennials and GenZ than baby boomers and GenXers. The IP doesn't have wide appeal and the lore is a mess.

Its also pretty funny that you'd accuse "kids" as being ADHD when mechdads are notorious for not being able to focus on more than one thing at a time and the primary complainers of this game being "too much like COD."

Edited by Prototelis, 09 July 2019 - 12:24 AM.

#19 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:13 AM

This game too much CoD? Who is saying that? Must be someone who has never played any fast shooter at all in their life.

#20 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:11 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 08 July 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

Good lord do I hate the 3025 mechs, because they like to stick lamborgini engines hooked up to a GE AC4400CW Locomotive in everything. This results in having a 40 ton engine in a 60t mech with no space for guns or armor.......

Dragon, QUickdraw, Banshee, just to name a few.....ugh.......

Everything is so undergunned. Its no wonder the Clans whipped the IS asses when they first invaded. 90t Banshee, it moves 64 KPH and has like 4 guns and 10tons of armor. Hellbringer, it weighs 65 tons and has 2 PPCs, SRMs, ECM, Medium Lasers, Small lasers, armor and it to moves 64 KPH.....Or ****, even the 55t Stormcrow, that thing is easily on par with IS 65-70 tonners.....

I think locked engines is a part of why I dont enjoy HBS Battletech nearly as much as I would otherwise......

You do realize that the optimal tonnage for a 3025 5/8 'mech is 60 tons, yeah? And thus your Dragon and Quickdraw* are perfectly engined? (* Well, the Quickdraw's jumpjets make it marginally worse than a 55 tonner.)

Also your example of a Hellbringer has even more engine than the two aforementioned 60 tonners. If a 5/8 65 ton Clan 'mech is good and a 5/8 60 ton IS 'mech is bad, maybe that says more about the difference between 3025 IS tech and 3050 Clan tech than it does about appropriate engine sizes.

Honestly, the only 3025 'mechs I can think of that are "overengined" are the Cicada (should be 35 tons), Scorpion (45), Charger (lol, 60), Cyclops (85), and Banshee (85).

I think your real problem with 3025 'mechs is that 3050 added an absolute shitton of power creep, to put it lightly. The pathetically bad 5 small laser assault 'mech Charger suddenly becomes the optimal tonnage for it's engine just by sticking an XL in it.

Edited by Kanil, 09 July 2019 - 03:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users