37 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

.....but in a Light mech. Any suggestions? Javelins, Jenner IIC, etc., as the obvious choices but any quirky mechs that you guys use for this role that normally weren't meant for?

#2 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

I've used the Oxide and the clan 2c copy of the Oxide with srm4,ssrm2, and srm6s. Mixed them up into 4s and 6s etc. It works pretty well at killing mechs too. The oxide is great for slow moving assaults. with the srm6s i'd kill a dire whale in 1-2 alphas and the unit i'm in nicknamed my Oxide the harpoon because of it being that effective. Drop down to 4s for more speed.

Quirk wise you'd have to get about ten bucks of mc and try the raven H. It has a nice range bonus,can jump jet and c-bill bonus. If you want to live dangerous I'd even say go for a locust-3s for its missile quirks. It's very limited on ammo so you have to choose your targets carfeully but it can do a 21-24 alpha. You can use an ersml for when ammo goes dry.

I lost the screen shot but I managed a 350 damage game with it vs an atlas' 140 damage.

Here's two videos I did comparing Oxide to its Clan counter part.

and

#3 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:53 PM

6x SRM6 Kitfox

Or a 4x A/SRM6 KFX-D if you want a missile quirk and more accuracy.

JR7-IIC is also good with a more SRM builds to try. But nobody suspects the Kitfox.

edit: there's also the Adder, which is more or less the same. Slither about, attack when they are ~1m away.

Edited by jjm1, 13 July 2019 - 08:55 PM.

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

View Postjjm1, on 13 July 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

edit: there's also the Adder, which is more or less the same. Slither about, attack when they are ~1m away.

Ah, the Adder. Yeah, that's a mech I had an eye on along with the Cougar.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

Commando.

#6 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:35 AM

You can also do a Kitfox if you want to be a bit different. JJ's and ECM are not a bad deal and you actually can skip some of that and do even more missiles with no ECM if you want. It gets some pretty decent armor quirks although kinda silly when your arms have more armor than you side torso's.

In the thread I started about how long it took to complete I actually posted my build if you are curious or if it sounds appealing to you.

#7 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:47 AM

Oxide is the obvious option, glass cannon but powerful.

I would also suggest CMD 2D, 3 SRM4s and very sturdy, but there's a catch, forget about the ECM, it's either 3SRM4s or 2SRMs + ECM

#8 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:24 AM

High-Speed?

Arctic Wolf does 9 SRM6s. But if you want brawling, the Pakhet could do 8 all at once.

#9 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:43 AM

Why settle for SRMs if you're looking for something unusual? Strap an MRM 40 onto something with a 15-20% missile cooldown quirk. MRMs are just as brutal at point blank range as an SRM.

#10 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:31 AM

Just buy an Arctic Wolf. 40 tonners are honorary light mechs, and I'll be damned if anything within 5 tons can SRM bomb as heavily as that little mofo.

#11 Vincent DIFrancesco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHiding behind a rock, waiting for the "rain" to stop.

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:02 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 14 July 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

Just buy an Arctic Wolf. 40 tonners are honorary light mechs, and I'll be damned if anything within 5 tons can SRM bomb as heavily as that little mofo.

Except, of course, if you need a light mech for some sort of event, then the ACW doesn't help at all.

Jenner IIC works. Six missile hardpoints. Works well for splat or streak.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:23 AM

jenner iic works in a hit and run role but dont try to sustain combat in it unless you are certain you have an advantage, it dies quick. but being able to unload 36 tube alphas certainly helps it be a good hit and run mech and its hella fun to play.

the oxide can take a little more abuse, but it doesnt nearly haive the firepower of the iic.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 July 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#13 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

Hmm... I feel like giving either the 6 missile Jav or the ECM one a go along with the Jenners and Adder. I guess I'll pick them up after I finish leveling the Shard, K9, Grinner and Purifier first.

#14 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

Jenner is large and fragine, Javelin is small and fragile.

Commando 1d with two srm4 is the way to go IMO.

Or if you don't mind a medium thats more of a light play an Assassin 23 with 3 srm6

#15 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

Javelin. The 6x SRM2 makes it a kid-sized Assassin, with great agility and JJ. The Oxide was a beast back in the day, but I wouldn't bother now. People say Commando, but that seems to require a very different playstyle than the typical SRM bomber.

#16 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:11 AM

Hey Frag,

For lulz, I suppose you could go for the LCT-3S. XL190 & 4xSRM2 could be very annoying to some assault mech drivers.

I'm not a good light mech driver, so my advice should be taken with an ANH-sized grain of salt...Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#17 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

Javelins is the go to for lights. Good hit boxes and hard points and quirks. The Javelin is pretty much a smaller faster Assassin.

Edited by SirSmokes, 14 July 2019 - 11:04 AM.

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:30 PM

You won't bomb much in a Light 'Mech with missiles, they weigh a tad too much. Medium 'Mechs like the Dervish Frenzy have the tonnage capable of actually bombing opponents with huge alpha strikes. But as Prototelis said - Commando. If you are set on it, Commando SRM is IMO probably the best Light missile boat in the game.

#19 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 14 July 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

Javelin. The 6x SRM2 makes it a kid-sized Assassin, with great agility and JJ. The Oxide was a beast back in the day, but I wouldn't bother now. People say Commando, but that seems to require a very different playstyle than the typical SRM bomber.

View PostSirSmokes, on 14 July 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

Javelins is the go to for lights. Good hit boxes and hard points and quirks. The Javelin is pretty much a smaller faster Assassin.

I was kinda thinking the same. There are two more variants where one has ECM and 4 missile hardpoints, the other has good quirks, access to JJ and 4 missile hardpoints as well.

View PostCFC Conky, on 14 July 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

For lulz, I suppose you could go for the LCT-3S. XL190 & 4xSRM2 could be very annoying to some assault mech drivers.

I'll check it out. Thanks Posted Image

View PostRickySpanish, on 14 July 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

But as Prototelis said - Commando. If you are set on it, Commando SRM is IMO probably the best Light missile boat in the game.

I'm guessing you guys are talking about the Commando 2D. I gave it a whirl in the Testing Ground. Two of the hardpoints are in the RA and since I'm a newb, I'm not overly excited to train in a mech like that. Once I get comfortable in this role, then yeah, definitely I'll check that out.

#20 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 14 July 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

I'm guessing you guys are talking about the Commando 2D. I gave it a whirl in the Testing Ground. Two of the hardpoints are in the RA and since I'm a newb, I'm not overly excited to train in a mech like that. Once I get comfortable in this role, then yeah, definitely I'll check that out.

The Commando 1D is actually the better option. Arms get shot off pretty easily. You can throw two SRM 4s into the CT and tank a ton of damage with the arms. Tankiest light mech in the game by far due to both speed and hitpoints. I usually throw a couple of lasers in the right arm to have a bit of a backup weapon, but you can drop those for more ammo if you need it. If you run right up to them a lot of big mechs have trouble shooting down far enough to hit you.

Javelin is good with either 6xSRM2 (DPS) or 4xSRM4 (burst damage). Oxide is still pretty good (quirks help it some), but suffers from Jenner syndrome so not quite as easy to play. The Javelin is definitely more survivable..

Survivability: Commando > Javelin > Jenner
Damage output: Jenner > Javelin > Commando

Overall, as a newer player to it I'd probably recommend the Javelin most. Having JJs (or ECM) and all torso weapons makes it the easiest to play.

The 10N has the biggest engine cap (285), but will be too tonnage starved to actually run it with a decent amount of ammo. It does however have the best quirks (5% spread, 10% cooldown) so it's worth taking over the 10P (no weapon quirks) if you're only running SRM4s. The 11B swaps the JJs for ECM and has decent quirks (5% spread, 5% cooldown, +100 sensor range), but ECM is heavy (1.5 tons) so you end up tonnage/ammo starved, particularly if you go for stealth armor.

Personally, my pick would be the 10N with a 245XL engine, 1JJ, 4xSRM4s, and 3.5 tons of ammo. Make sure to grab both ammo nodes in the skill tree too.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...647ba5857e8b757

Commando would be something like this: https://mwo.smurfy-n...752133a39a8aeaa

But you can also strip the lasers and get another ton of ammo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users