83 replies to this topic

#1 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

What do the mechdad boomers have against not needing to press O every match?

#2 Tiy0s

• PipPipPip
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 76 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, WA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

Pogchamp

#3 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWhy are we here? Just to suffer?

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

Can someone hand me some popcorn?

#4 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWhy are we here? Just to suffer?

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

But, no, seriously, why can't there be a toggle option in the menu, like for arm lock, to keep override always on. Yeah, I'm lazy, and old, and sometimes I forget to hit override in matches, and that can cost me a kill or even a win.

#5 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

and also remoove this HUGE override warning or make it smaller in a corner

#6 Tranderas

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

Crass wording aside, he makes an important point. In a game where players are always riding toward the edge of heat and it's more often than not the correct play to do so, why is override not set as the default mode when loading in?

#7 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

I wonder that too. I would much rather have it on at all time as having override off is usually more fatal than taking some structure damage. Even worse when it shuts you down at 98% and stuns you for 5 seconds!

And what BackShot said, that warning is so over the top and really just blends in with all the other red flashy warnings that stack up on top.

#8 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

Sounds immersion-breaking to me. Are there any lore examples of mechs having an auto-override function? Does this really improve the new player experience? It is what it is, I doubt they'll be able to fit this into their already stacked roadmap, but never say never, right?

#9 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:52 PM

I think the new player would benefit of taking some structure damage instead of shutting down facing enemies.

non overriding is actually way more dangerous than overriding. Especially when you have a poor heat management ability.

And for good players, this is also an opportunity to get this semi alpha needed for a kill when you are already at max heat.

#10 sumbody

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

I never use override. I can't take the chance of unintentionally blowing myself up. I prefer to balance my mech to mitigate heat build up. Your chances of surviving a shutdown are better then when your mech blows up because of the override engaged imo. Losing some armor is much less painful then internals blowing up on you. There may be a chance to find cover once your mech restarts. Better yet, there may be a chance your teammates came to your rescue.

I believe it would be more beneficial for new players to learn how to balance the heat instead of depending on override.

#11 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostDakkalistic, on 20 July 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

Sounds immersion-breaking to me. Are there any lore examples of mechs having an auto-override function? Does this really improve the new player experience? It is what it is, I doubt they'll be able to fit this into their already stacked roadmap, but never say never, right?

IIRC if in tabletop the more heat you have from 0 to 30 (hitting 30 is instant shutdown) the more you roll for a chance of random damage, ammo explosion and if your mech shutdown or not (in MWO we have around 50-60 heat).

Say if you shoot for 30 heat but only cool 12 per turn you have generated 18 heat and you must roll to avoid a shutdown. At 19 heat you also have to roll to avoid ammo explosion and the hotter you get the harder these rolls get to overcome.

So no, it's not immersion breaking. if anything riding at 95% heat at all time without any penalty is very immersion breaking.

#12 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

View Postsumbody, on 20 July 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

I never use override. I can't take the chance of unintentionally blowing myself up. I prefer to balance my mech to mitigate heat build up. Your chances of surviving a shutdown are better then when your mech blows up because of the override engaged imo. Losing some armor is much less painful then internals blowing up on you. There may be a chance to find cover once your mech restarts. Better yet, there may be a chance your teammates came to your rescue.

I believe it would be more beneficial for new players to learn how to balance the heat instead of depending on override.

shutting down in front of anyone who knows what they're doing is a 100% death sentence, that's how people farm headshots

menu toggle for override should have been a feature from day one, but at this point pgi isn't gonna do anything

#13 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 20 July 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

IIRC if in tabletop the more heat you have from 0 to 30 (hitting 30 is instant shutdown) the more you roll for a chance of random damage, ammo explosion and if your mech shutdown or not (in MWO we have around 50-60 heat).

Say if you shoot for 30 heat but only cool 12 per turn you have generated 18 heat and you must roll to avoid a shutdown. At 19 heat you also have to roll to avoid ammo explosion and the hotter you get the harder these rolls get to overcome.

So no, it's not immersion breaking. if anything riding at 95% heat at all time without any penalty is very immersion breaking.

Respect, you were clearly writing this from a place of honesty, however, I was not.

PGI introducing a feature for advanced players, who are a toxic, vocal minority on an island anyway? Psh, yeah right.

It's ok, I was once joyous too at the mention of "lore" and "immersion". Russ saying "Never say never" gave me hope. Seems like a lifetime ago.

See y'all in K-Town

Edited by Dakkalistic, 20 July 2019 - 04:07 PM.

#14 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 20 July 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

Can someone hand me some popcorn?

My favorite memePosted Image

#15 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:03 PM

LOL, no.

Yes to this, however.

For these reasons, I think the current manual toggle is the right way to handle it. I'd like the warning text to be less obtrusive, however.

#16 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostBackShot, on 20 July 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

I think the new player would benefit of taking some structure damage instead of shutting down facing enemies.

non overriding is actually way more dangerous than overriding. Especially when you have a poor heat management ability.

And for good players, this is also an opportunity to get this semi alpha needed for a kill when you are already at max heat.

New players are too dumb. If you don't make shutdown the default overheat option, they will just keep shooting until they blow up, and proceed to not understand why they blew up. At least shutting down is an extremely straight-forward obvious indication to noobs that they overreached.

Also, in a lot of light mechs, especially 20-tonners, overriding is definitely more dangerous than shutting down. It only takes a massaging of 101% to instantly blow out a ST or leg, because overheat damage is extremely stupid and applies a flat damage penalty, rather than percentage damage like it really should.

#17 Vyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:06 PM

Minimally viable product. If they only had developers ...

#18 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:58 PM

And why is there no toggle option for the TAG-Laser....? Posted Image

#19 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:13 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 20 July 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

And why is there no toggle option for the TAG-Laser....? Posted Image

Cause PGI felt if they were going to aim for, you could at least hold a button. The lurm community was having none of this though and quickly found away around it so they could run around the entire match making sure the enemy could see them and knew what weapons they had.

Edited by Feral Clown, 21 July 2019 - 12:39 AM.

#20 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:35 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 21 July 2019 - 12:13 AM, said:

Cause PGI felt if they were going to aim for, you could at least hold a button. The lurm community was having none of this though and quickly found away around it so they could run around the entire match making sure the enemy could see them and knew what weapons they had.

I find it funny when I see some one with the tag set up that way. To me it's just waving an here-i-am-shoot-me sign. None of my lrm boats use it. None of my lights use it. My sniper builds do because my hard ware is old and what I think I see isn't always what the server sees. Also mgs 1's socom laser sight gave me a bad habit. Uavs I throw out like joker's parade in the 89 movie. So much c-bills spent on auto-fill uavs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users