• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:07 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 31 July 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

Should start a poll

The number of people who complain about Epic being a security risk, being in league with the CCP, but owning a Xiaomi or Huawei phone

Yeah, or post on this forum using a phone / tablet / PC that is either entirely made in China using Chinese made parts, or made outside of China using Chinese made parts. Just don't let the launcher launch at startup and close it before you do anything sensitive on your PC and then clear your browser cache and close the browser / app / program before launching the launcher again.

Edited by Ed Steele, 31 July 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#1082 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:16 PM

View PostAkillius, on 31 July 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

PGI IS A CANADIAN COMPANY
YOUR USA "Bait and Switch" LAWS DON'T APPLY.
Suggest you visit page 51 and actually read posting number 1004.
https://mwomercs.com...45#entry6281045
There's something interesting about Canadian contract law:
http://web.archive.o...ng-parties.html

In perhaps the most important contract decision of the past 20 years, the Supreme Court of Canada today established a general doctrine of good faith between parties and a specific duty of honesty — opening up the civil courts to a potential wave of lawsuits based on perceived deceptions.
(...)
The decision states: “… there is a common law duty which applies to all contracts to act honestly in the performance of contractual obligations. … The organizing principle of good faith exemplifies the notion that, in carrying out his or her own performance of the contract, a contracting party should have appropriate regard to the legitimate contractual interests of the contracting partner.”

Brandon Kain, a litigator at McCarthy Tétrault LLP who represented Bhasin, says the case has “massive implications” for businesses across Canada. The ruling creates new law around an overarching doctrine of good faith from which many specific duties may extend.

“That overarching principle can give rise to various duties, and the court doesn’t define what the outer limits of those duties are,” he says. “In this case, one of those duties is a duty of honest performance in contracting, which means basically that parties can’t lie or knowingly mislead each other with respect to the performance of their contractual obligations.”
(...)
“The other side followed the letter of the contract and since there was nothing in the contract about good faith, they weren’t going to imply a duty into it,” says Finkelstein.

“What the Supreme Court here said is, ‘No, that’s wrong. There is — and this is an organizing principle of contract, the court said, as an organizing principle of contract, you don’t have to write it in. There’s an obligation of good faith and that includes at least honest dealing.”

Also see: https://www.american.../04/02_kierans/

View PostDemonRaziel, on 31 July 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

+ cloud saves, shopping cart...
Ah, forgot those. Yes, such basic **** we take for granted on Steam and Epic hasn't got a handle on yet...

View Postfrumpylumps, on 31 July 2019 - 07:30 PM, said:

This whole debacle really shows you how stupid the masses really are.
Steam needs competition and that far outweighs the inconvenience of using another platform even if it is inferior.
I support this move by PGI.
An inferior platform by definition isn't competitive with Steam.

#1083 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:27 PM

View PostYozzman, on 31 July 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

Sent my refund request again, as I did not get any confirmation of PGI that the email is received or being processed...

Getting worried here.

Got my refund, money is already on my PayPal acc :)

#1084 Nean

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:31 PM

At this point I think we can all agree the really diehard fans can enjoy their copies a little earlier than the rest of us on a different plat form that many of us may or may not care about. All I know is that if they keep the game going towards the direction they were going at Mechcon 2018 and maybe work with HBS a bit for the story it'll be a good game.

But ffs Russ. This is exactly why I didn't preorder, because **** like this. I was planning to be a day 1 buyer though.

#1085 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 31 July 2019 - 07:30 PM, said:

This whole debacle really shows you how stupid the masses really are.

Couldn´t have said it better myself.

#1086 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:06 AM

View PostHorseman, on 31 July 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

snip

Is an advertisement a contract?

Does a refund not constitute good faith?

I would love to see anyone lawyer up and win; it would fundamentally change the landscape of gaming, preorders, and pre release media.

#1087 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:28 AM

View PostNean, on 31 July 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

At this point I think we can all agree the really diehard fans can enjoy their copies a little earlier than the rest of us on a different plat form that many of us may or may not care about.

Don't confuse a vocal minority of fans on a forum for an online game as representing the majority of the potential fanbase of a single player game just because they share an IP.

There's maybe a couple of hundred people whinning on the MWO forum. There is an overlap of those people on YouTube and reddit.

[Redacted]

#1088 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

View PostNean, on 31 July 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

At this point I think we can all agree the really diehard fans can enjoy their copies a little earlier than the rest of us on a different plat form that many of us may or may not care about. All I know is that if they keep the game going towards the direction they were going at Mechcon 2018 and maybe work with HBS a bit for the story it'll be a good game.

But ffs Russ. This is exactly why I didn't preorder, because **** like this. I was planning to be a day 1 buyer though.

You missed out on alot bro .

MW5 is just a small cherry on the huge chocolate cake of freebies directly injected into your MWO account . 100 percent free if you asked for a refund . Your average Mechpack preorder goodies was nothing compared to all this .

As far as i am concerned I paid PGI for 4 loyalty mechs , 12000 MC and a mechpack , plus everything else that came with it which includes MW5 .

I play fork knife as much as MWO so i dont have a problem with EPIC nor do I believe Epic is an " international spy network " , my goodness people ....

No i dont want a refund . Posted Image

Edited by Pain G0D, 01 August 2019 - 12:39 AM.

#1089 iamredleader

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAmstelveen

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:37 AM

Well, I cancelled my pre-order this past weekend and received my money just now, only hours after receiving a polite confirmation E-mail that my request has been handled. That went well.

So, off the battlefield that is Rotato-Potato-Warrior and I hope to see many of you there... in my crosshairs!

#1090 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:50 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 31 July 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

Should start a poll

The number of people who complain about Epic being a security risk, being in league with the CCP, but owning a Xiaomi or Huawei phone

Or have a phone manufactured in China?

#1091 KevinL21

• PipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:01 AM

I'm not pleased that the terms changed after purchase; but I respect that you are offering pre-order refunds.

I do eventually plan to get the game if the reviews are favourable; but for now, I will back out until I see what it's like

I hope that the EPIC exclusivity is truly worth the backlash. I don't have strong feelings on this but I'm not sure if I want to install another launcher yet.

We now have Origin, Steam, Epic and at one point nvidia & gaikai on my computer..... too much.

#1092 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:17 AM

Not an expert or anything . Personally i would think PGI has bigger logistic problems , making Epic honour the preorder deals thats not refunded . PGI probably needs to compensate Epic for every freebie MW5 code they are forced to dish out .

You angry pitch fork mob thats gleefully running after your refunds are probably making PGI,s lives easier . Posted Image

#1093 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:32 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 01 August 2019 - 12:06 AM, said:

Is an advertisement a contract?
Purchase of a pre-order is a sale/purchase contract, and PGI stated in no uncertain terms that the pre-orders would be delivered as Steam keys.

Does a refund not constitute good faith?
You're looking at the wrong end of the horse there, mate.
Pay attention to the highlighted parts:

a general doctrine of good faith between parties and a specific duty of honesty — opening up the civil courts to a potential wave of lawsuits based on perceived deceptions.
(...)
The decision states: “… there is a common law duty which applies to all contracts to act honestly in the performance of contractual obligations. …
(...)
“In this case, one of those duties is a duty of honest performance in contracting, which means basically that parties can’t lie or knowingly mislead each other with respect to the performance of their contractual obligations.”

Remember that PGI had committed to the Epic exclusivity and continued to run the pre-orders stating they would be delivered on Steam?
Remember when Russ proclaimed that any concerns about the game becoming an Epic exclusive were unfounded?
Yes, that was knowingly misleading customers both times.

#1094 K4I 4LL4RD LI4O

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:03 AM

To really knock the ball out of the stadium PGI should do the „Epic Exclusive Event“. That would be awesome.
And as the grand price we should get the Awesome Hero for free.
Best event ever!!! :-)

#1095 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:10 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 01 August 2019 - 01:17 AM, said:

Not an expert or anything . Personally i would think PGI has bigger logistic problems , making Epic honour the preorder deals thats not refunded . PGI probably needs to compensate Epic for every freebie MW5 code they are forced to dish out .

You angry pitch fork mob thats gleefully running after your refunds are probably making PGI,s lives easier . Posted Image

Don't be silly. When epic negotiates an exclusivity deal with any dev, they are fully aware of the existence of pre-orders. This is not their first rodeo, so I'm pretty sure these pre-orders are reflected in the exclusivity deal.

And even if not, and PGI would have to somehow compensate Epic for pre-orders for some reason, how would that be worse for them than having to return the money to the sellers that cancelled?

#1096 Erik Krieger

• PipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:13 AM

And then there was silence...

#1097 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:42 AM

View Postnoble S A V A G E, on 01 August 2019 - 03:13 AM, said:

Deafening silence

#1098 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:47 AM

View Postnoble S A V A G E, on 01 August 2019 - 03:13 AM, said:

A wise man once said: People be all worried...

#1099 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 587 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:25 AM

View PostHorseman, on 01 August 2019 - 01:32 AM, said:

Remember when Russ proclaimed that any concerns about the game becoming an Epic exclusive were unfounded?
Yes, that was knowingly misleading customers both times.

Referring to April 10th AMA I also remember a lot of "at the moment" statements by Russ. No misleading there at this time. End of April is another thing for the exclusive deal was "bargained and done" and the last 3 days (or something in that range) of pre-ordering were indeed lies when steam keys were part of the offer.

As for me: I still do not want a refund because I gave my money for MechWarrior 5 and not a specific launcher. So I will get my "copy" of MW5 in December and Christmas will be saved.

#1100 Unconstructive Waste of Time

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:34 AM

Now it's just silence. One week without news, even more without events. For about 800 weirdos (?) that hate Epic (?), the feelings of the silent majority is disregarded and MWO itself is in peril. The rage versus PGI/Epic can only damage who wants to keep MWO alive. Maybe it will be better without some haters and in Dec we'll have MW5 too. Come back alive PGI, most of us do not write much but wants MWO (with less powerful guided ATMs Posted Image) alive and well.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users