Jump to content

Why Do We Hate Epic Games Store?


150 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,232 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

So for us who don't keep up with this stuff.. Why is everybody hating so much on epic games store?

I'm in no way defending them.. Actually, I have never had any contact with Epic..

Which is why I don't get why people are writing up scream-in-all-caps posts against them?

Can anyone enlighten me?

#2 Jay Leon Hart

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

Tired, lazy option;
Jim Sterling rants about it

#3 Darth Futuza

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

Slightly out of date, but:
Posted Image

https://steamcommuni...78072844560561/

Personally I don't really care that much, but I know how much people hate Epic right now it just seems like PR suicide to make a deal with them.

#4 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:35 PM

Epic doesn't have social media features and is overall less secure.

#5 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:42 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 25 July 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

So for us who don't keep up with this stuff.. Why is everybody hating so much on epic games store?

I'm in no way defending them.. Actually, I have never had any contact with Epic..

Which is why I don't get why people are writing up scream-in-all-caps posts against them?

Can anyone enlighten me?

TL;DR:
1. Epic launched their platform in a deplorable state. Better part of a year after launch, it's still pretty amateurish.
2. They didn't have e-mail verification until last week. Yes, that means you could lose all your purchases if you made a typo creating your account. And people did.
3. They don't have a cart. And they started banning customers because the customers made several purchases one after another. During a sale.
4. They have sent multiple customers' personal information to other customers. Multiple times.
5. Using their pile of Fortnite cash to get paid exclusivity is literally the only thing Epic can do to make themselves seem "competitive" to Steam. They've been making those deals with developers of games that were committed to Steam for a long time, often just a handful of months or weeks before release. Most of the PC gaming crowd are not fans of hostageware, much less of bait-and-switch tactics.

Edited by Horseman, 26 July 2019 - 12:42 AM.


#6 Kotzi

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:52 AM

Taking away your choice to choose where to buy, by distorting competition with the help of a huge load of money. In other words creating a monopoly to force people to use their sales platform, which is still inferior to others. You want me to buy at your store and not at the plethora of others already existing? Convince me with anything other than bribing developers to exclusive deals cutting my choices.

I thought MW5 would be too niche for Epic to go that way, but i couldnt have been more wrong. This irrational strategy, throw ludicrous amount of money at anything, seems to stop at nothing.

#7 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:57 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 25 July 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

Slightly out of date, but:
Posted Image

https://steamcommuni...78072844560561/

Personally I don't really care that much, but I know how much people hate Epic right now it just seems like PR suicide to make a deal with them.


look at all that stuff i dont need or want, can you just sell me a game pls?

Edited by LordNothing, 26 July 2019 - 01:04 AM.


#8 WhineyThePoo

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:07 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 July 2019 - 12:57 AM, said:


look at all that stuff i dont need or want, can you just sell me a game pls?


Actually they cant, not to me anyway as they do not have a single payment option that I can use.

#9 VonBruinwald

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:34 AM

Reasons:

People are lazy, impatient and adverse to change.

They also expect everything to be perfect straight out the box whilst throwing money at games still in development for alpha/beta access...

They're also stupid.... Apparently Steam isn't a DRM platform:

Spoiler


Notice how this was posted on a Steam forum, under a group named F##k Epic (ironically, not hashed out).... where Steams Content rules include "Do not post any content on Steam containing the following: Abusive language, including swearing"...

Biased PR Much?

Edited by VonBruinwald, 26 July 2019 - 01:34 AM.


#10 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:41 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 July 2019 - 01:34 AM, said:

They also expect everything to be perfect straight out the box whilst throwing money at games still in development for alpha/beta access...

They expect basic competence of a multi-million-dollar company's commercial launch of a new platform, yes. There's a lot of features that could be forgiven, but Epic dropped the ball on ELEMENTARY security and that's not forgiven easily.

#11 FRAGTAST1C

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:49 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 July 2019 - 01:34 AM, said:

Reasons:

People are lazy, impatient and adverse to change.

They also expect everything to be perfect straight out the box whilst throwing money at games still in development for alpha/beta access...

They're also stupid.... Apparently Steam isn't a DRM platform:

Notice how this was posted on a Steam forum, under a group named F##k Epic (ironically, not hashed out).... where Steams Content rules include "Do not post any content on Steam containing the following: Abusive language, including swearing"...

Biased PR Much?


It's great that you've chosen to play the devil's advocate but you're representing a company pro bono and the choice of company is very questionable. In your attempt to nullify one form of behaviour by some people, you're actively engaged in fighting for another form of behaviour that is equally questionable.

#12 JohnnyWayne

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:58 AM

I was open minded about it until they started to do all these exclusive deals. I thought about installing it but that drove me away for good. I dont need any game store for my games. MW5 will be a refund is what I wish to say but I'm rather torn...

I was afraid PGI would do this and yet I expected them to do that step. Further reduce your playerbase and lets see how many more copies of games you will sell as a company. Thinking that the compensation from epic for refunded games is a good strategy is a very short sighted approach.

oh to mention it:

Quote

6 What about Co-op and Friends lists?
  • The Co-op will work in the exact same way on the Epic Games store as previously described. Players will invite their friends using the Epic Games store friends list.



I have no friends there. Noone I know uses that piece of blackmailing trashware. Neither do I.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 26 July 2019 - 02:16 AM.


#13 ShiverMeRivets

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:39 AM

Boo hoo...
This community never ceases to amaze me with the level of whining that they are able to reach.

“I want my game with a blue ribbon, not a green ribbon!
I will stomp and hold me breath till I get it like I wanted!”

Who give a f@@@ about the platform? Steam is just the same steaming pile of **** like Epic, except they are bigger in the market. I don’t want to have any of them installed on my computer. The reality is that PGI got a better deal from Epic. Epic are pretty desperate to push their platform, and need exclusive content, while for Valve PGI are just another developer, 10 for a dollar.

If any of you have any brains, you don’t keep these platforms running in the background when you don’t play. I don’t care about their social media crap, extra features, overlays, achievements, etc. They are nothing more than glorified launchers and update services. This is why I can’t tell the difference between Steam and Epic. I wish we could get an independent install without any **** platform. We won’t.

If the deal with Epic will allow PGI to launch a better game this is good. The rest of you can wait a year for the exclusivity to expire.

Quit yer bitching.


#14 JohnnyWayne

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:50 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 26 July 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

Who give a f@@@ about the platform? Steam is just the same steaming pile of **** like Epic, except they are bigger in the market.


I have principles and a brain. You on the other hand have neither. I'm also pretty sure you have nothing to do with IT or software in your professional life (if you have one), so for the love of what ever one believes in: Shut up.

#15 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:52 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 26 July 2019 - 02:50 AM, said:


I have principles and a brain. You on the other hand have neither. I'm also pretty sure you have nothing to do with IT or software in your professional life (if you have one), so for the love of what ever one believes in: Shut up.


Have you read any of the evaluations done by IT professionals?

#16 Pahrias

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:00 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 26 July 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

Boo hoo...
This community never ceases to amaze me with the level of whining that they are able to reach.

“I want my game with a blue ribbon, not a green ribbon!
I will stomp and hold me breath till I get it like I wanted!”

Who give a f@@@ about the platform? Steam is just the same steaming pile of **** like Epic, except they are bigger in the market. I don’t want to have any of them installed on my computer. The reality is that PGI got a better deal from Epic. Epic are pretty desperate to push their platform, and need exclusive content, while for Valve PGI are just another developer, 10 for a dollar.

If any of you have any brains, you don’t keep these platforms running in the background when you don’t play. I don’t care about their social media crap, extra features, overlays, achievements, etc. They are nothing more than glorified launchers and update services. This is why I can’t tell the difference between Steam and Epic. I wish we could get an independent install without any **** platform. We won’t.

If the deal with Epic will allow PGI to launch a better game this is good. The rest of you can wait a year for the exclusivity to expire.

Quit yer bitching.


you think i want to wait ANOTHER bloody year, AFTER stumping up for the pre-order that told me i could get it on my steam account in November? on top of all the crap that epic has pulled, is it too much to ask to just have all my games in one bloody place? i dont want to have 9 different launchers and have to faf around with those every time i want to play a game.

its shady practices. while im slightly more forgiving of PGI being a small-ish firm, it still doesnt excuse marketing false hoods. If you sell some thing on the basis that it will be X Y and Z but then remove X it is basically lying to your customers.

the least you could do when signing these kinds of deals would be to say; "OK we will do your exclusivity, but these X amount of people have already pre ordered and we will still HONOUR that agreement."

Prior commitments are a bloody thing you know?

Edit: MInd you... i guess expecting Honourable conduct from big companies is my own naive outlook.

Edited by Pahrias, 26 July 2019 - 03:03 AM.


#17 JohnnyWayne

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:09 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 26 July 2019 - 02:52 AM, said:

Have you read any of the evaluations done by IT professionals?


I AM an IT professional. And I can see when I am blackmailed into doing something aswell. That was my point. A point you ignored in your rant.

#18 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:25 AM

I didn't rant?

What does being an IT professional have to do with this as a business decision? I thought you brought that up because you had a take on the ol' epic games is spyware or an analysis of its security measures.

#19 50 50

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:29 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 25 July 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

So for us who don't keep up with this stuff.. Why is everybody hating so much on epic games store?

I'm in no way defending them.. Actually, I have never had any contact with Epic..

Which is why I don't get why people are writing up scream-in-all-caps posts against them?

Can anyone enlighten me?


I don't know.
Few people seem irrational or previously scarred about EPIC.
Seems to be a few issues with the launcher not being as old as Steam's and not containing as much add on trinkety stuff.
The security thing with accounts and ordering games is probably more relevant but I remember Steam being terrible to do things on years ago as well.
Some see issue with the aggressive market grabbing which they somehow see as underhanded. Beat's me. Been that way for decades.
Selling information to another country? Well, if we want to go down that path there are other countries that have been doing that for years and if people think it's safe to put up all their details on the internet they must have been living under a rock.

Sadly, the internet is what it is.
I can only suggest that if you want to play the game when it comes out, then do so.
Most games have an in game way of getting a group together so if you have some friends who are going to play it, just hook up with them on Teamspeak or Discord like everyone else will probably do anyway.

#20 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:33 AM

FWIW; the epic app being **** is a valid complaint.

Steam was SUPER **** when it came out, and they shut down WON to force people onto it for centralized multiplayer.

But that was like 15 years ago, epic should have learned some **** from that.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users