Why Do We Hate Epic Games Store?

161 replies to this topic

#161 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:28 AM

I know this is a late replay, still and I do not come around social media much anymore.

View PostNesutizale, on 13 September 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

Only a few devs can acutaly do that. Running all the service sides of a store takes time and money that medium or small teams don't have. This isn't a question of "I want to do my own thing" but "Can I actualy affort it".

Also big stores come with a bigger playerbase allready beeing there. Why do you think Epic does this extremly agressive tactics to get people into their store? Its definitly not just for fun. Sure they have a lot of money to throw out but do you think they like doing that? That money could be spend on their own stuff or you could make your shareholders happy or give yourself a bigger paycheck.

Yet a number of them do it.

View PostNesutizale, on 13 September 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

In that case you can basicly count the remaining days of you playing new games. Digital stores is what the industry is enforceing and with stuff like stadia and other streaming services on the horizon you can pretty much guess where things are going in the future.

I would say we have enough people out there that never owned a physical copy of game by now. Steam and other store are the "normal" way of buying games for them.

Its pretty much the same as youngsters not knowing how to use a phone. I mean the static ones with a cord and all. Belive me I have seen that live. My sisters kids looked at me totaly buffeld when I showed them an old phone I keep for nostalgia. They where searching for the display and asked how to search for phone numbers with it Posted Image

Long story short...owning a game is phasing out. Digital stores are here and they will stay for a while until they are also dissapearing and be replaced by streaming or renting/subscription of games. I have seen that with "professional" software allready. When I started I bought my software, today I can't even find a copy anywhere. You rent the software from companies like adobe or autodesk, either based on your projects time or by subscription.

Its sad and comes with its own bag of problems, like bad internet connections or you beeing in a place without a connection at all or servers beeing down.

Still the companies don't care, thats a users problem not theirs. What they see is 100% control over what you have, forceing you to buy updates and no piracy. In their books its only advantages.

Well I am curiouse to see where all this will lead. Meanwhile I am stocking up my boardgame collection, there are tons of interesting games and even if they turn the internet of I can still play it and have fun ! Posted Image

Does not change the fact stores have problems especially those that require you to run 2+ store clients at once.

Example, I tried Rainbow Six Siege through UPlay now known as Ubisoft Connect instead of Steam even though Steam version has more optional stuff to buy for it. If you get it through Steam, you still have to install and run Ubi Connect as with almost any Ubisoft title. Why would I run both Steam and Ubi Connect increasing workload on my computer when I can do just one? BTW if you want to transfer for any reason, you have to rebuy the game, fun right? Posted Image

Downside is depending on titles you want to play, you now have to have multiple store clients installed on your computer to do anything depending on what you play. I still do not get the thing GOG did with Galaxy letting you link other stores through it to play falsly claiming you only need one client now.

Not everything is rent/subscription including professional software. I used to get Office every few years then they went subscription, I saw where that went and said Heck No. Forget how I found it but wound up looking for alternatives and discovered several settling on LibreOffice that does everything MS Office does but is Donationware, no renting / subscribing. Posted Image

There are plenty of interesting indie titles to get with no renting / subscribing. Currently doing a run of both Tower of Time and the first Vaporum, HBS BT is not rent / sub based thankfully and I have plenty of other titles stored now. Posted Image

Bad internet is because a lot of people do not understand how it works and why they should apply pressure through either legal and / or political channels to fix it. I can say with certainty the old, "Internet is broken," joke is not a joke since I got proof.

Of course despite the genre being out there for some time, only now are social deduction games becoming a thing thanks to Among Us popularity 4 years after release?

You looking suss right now. Posted Image

#162 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:44 PM

Because its more Anti consumer than all the other platforms, has zero ways to help my fellow gamers. Its run by the Chinese government so i trust it less (i don't hate Chinese people). Its also had millions of accounts hacked multiple times as its security is a mess.

Also a heads up steam lowers its 30% profit as a game makes more.. so the more a company makes on steam the lower steam cut becomes.

Edited by Samial, 17 December 2020 - 10:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users