• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:16 PM

I just stumbled on this month-long article today:

https://kotaku.com/e...hand-1837008625

Enjoy reading … or not. Either way, it's on you. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 07 September 2019 - 08:04 PM.

#122 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:49 AM

View PostMystere, on 07 September 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

Oh no, a bunch of children on twitter are being mean to developers. I better go spend money on Epic to maintain the cosmic balance.

#123 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:01 AM

View PostBombast, on 08 September 2019 - 02:49 AM, said:

Oh no, a bunch of children on twitter are being mean to developers. I better go spend money on Epic to maintain the cosmic balance.

Well, as I said, it's on you. Spend away if that cosmic balance is your thing. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 08 September 2019 - 04:01 AM.

#124 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

And now Epic is shoveling the task of developing EGS features off its' own internal dev team and onto the game developers:

I thought Russ didn't like cheapskates? :P

Edited by Horseman, 08 September 2019 - 09:35 AM.

#125 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostHorseman, on 08 September 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

I thought Russ didn't like cheapskates? Posted Image

When it guarantees 1 million sales no matter what ($60,000,000) ignoring tax, conversions, and that 1 penny per sale...
I can certainly say in jest but possibly with a bit of seriousness, MWO's next year of development may be in pumping features into Epic.

(Well 10% less than that, there's Epic's cut and PGI used Unreal Engine.)

#126 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

So apparently MW5 isn't the only game that Epic "stole" from Steam, and now Steam is striking back.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcFWw0Lnt8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcFWw0Lnt8[/url]

Quick summary: Steam is amending its contracts with game makers, adding a clause that says game makers that put games on Steam that they must release their games on Steam at the same time as any other releases on other platforms. And that if they yank their games off Steam because of exclusivity deals like the ones Epic has been offering, that they'd be subject to legal action for damages.

MW5 was never mentioned specifically. Borderlands 3 was, but these two are apparently far from the only ones.

Edit: How the hext do you post video on this forum???

Edited by evilauthor, 09 September 2019 - 12:28 PM.

#127 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 September 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

Generally trust Kotaku reporting even less then PGI, but lets take a peek.

OK, that took all of 5 seconds since it's author is Nathan "GamerGate" Grayson.

#128 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 09 September 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

MW5 was never mentioned specifically. Borderlands 3 was, but these two are apparently far from the only ones.

That might be because MW5 was never on steam as a purchase. You paid PGI and they would have bought steamkeys that they would send out to you. PGI most likely hasn't bought steamkeys yet so they wouldn't be affected by steams new policy.
Boarderlands 3 was on steam IIRC the it could be in conflict with the policy.

#129 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 09 September 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

So apparently MW5 isn't the only game that Epic "stole" from Steam, and now Steam is striking back.

That amendment has been in the Developer/Publisher paperwork since 2017, and it's largely unenforceable. It's basically just a "Well we know who the jerk in this relationship is" clause.

#130 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:56 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 25 July 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

So for us who don't keep up with this stuff.. Why is everybody hating so much on epic games store?

I'm in no way defending them.. Actually, I have never had any contact with Epic..

Which is why I don't get why people are writing up scream-in-all-caps posts against them?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Epic is just one of many companies doing stuff irritating some gamers out there. Had to dig back into my browsing history to find a video on it, not everything is related to MW5 but shows in general practices and policies happening in gaming causing a number of players concern.

#131 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 09 September 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

Epic is just one of many companies doing stuff irritating some gamers out there. Had to dig back into my browsing history to find a video on it, not everything is related to MW5 but shows in general practices and policies happening in gaming causing a number of players concern.

Spoiler

Oh man, Stadia. Now there's a platform that'll be a pure nightmare if it goes exclusivity happy.

#132 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:20 AM

The issue here is, despite PGI using "Steam" And "GOG" in their marketing, they never had steam or gog store pages.

I still think there are grounds for Valve and GoG to go after PGI for misinformation and using their names to garner attention, but since the product never ACTUALLY made it to the platforms in question, it technically was never offered on steam, so Epic and PGI are arguably in the clear.

I don't like this fact, not one bit, but it seems like they got away with it... HOWEVER, what might happen, is that valve could tell PGI to go screw themselves when it comes time in a year to go to steam. At which case the game will likely be stuck as an epic exclusive. But we'll have to see what happens come a years time.

#133 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:38 AM

Steam is fighting back hmmmm wounder if this effect Mechwarrior 5

Edited by SirSmokes, 12 September 2019 - 06:39 AM.

#134 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 12 September 2019 - 06:38 AM, said:

1 - Execute Order 66% Revenue. The Store Wars have begun. - Emperor Epicsteam

2 - If I were a dev, I would do my own standalone client and never sell anything through a store.

3 - Outside what I already bought and enjoy on GOG maybe a few titles I have on wishlist, nothing more through a store for me.

#135 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:54 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 12 September 2019 - 06:38 AM, said:

No. See what CMDR Sunset Shimmer wrote right above your post.

#136 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:47 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 12 September 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

2 - If I were a dev, I would do my own standalone client and never sell anything through a store.

Only a few devs can acutaly do that. Running all the service sides of a store takes time and money that medium or small teams don't have. This isn't a question of "I want to do my own thing" but "Can I actualy affort it".
Also big stores come with a bigger playerbase allready beeing there. Why do you think Epic does this extremly agressive tactics to get people into their store? Its definitly not just for fun. Sure they have a lot of money to throw out but do you think they like doing that? That money could be spend on their own stuff or you could make your shareholders happy or give yourself a bigger paycheck.

3 - Outside what I already bought and enjoy on GOG maybe a few titles I have on wishlist, nothing more through a store for me.

In that case you can basicly count the remaining days of you playing new games. Digital stores is what the industry is enforceing and with stuff like stadia and other streaming services on the horizon you can pretty much guess where things are going in the future.

I would say we have enough people out there that never owned a physical copy of game by now. Steam and other store are the "normal" way of buying games for them.
Its pretty much the same as youngsters not knowing how to use a phone. I mean the static ones with a cord and all. Belive me I have seen that live. My sisters kids looked at me totaly buffeld when I showed them an old phone I keep for nostalgia. They where searching for the display and asked how to search for phone numbers with it ^_^

Long story short...owning a game is phasing out. Digital stores are here and they will stay for a while until they are also dissapearing and be replaced by streaming or renting/subscription of games. I have seen that with "professional" software allready. When I started I bought my software, today I can't even find a copy anywhere. You rent the software from companies like adobe or autodesk, either based on your projects time or by subscription.

Its sad and comes with its own bag of problems, like bad internet connections or you beeing in a place without a connection at all or servers beeing down.
Still the companies don't care, thats a users problem not theirs. What they see is 100% control over what you have, forceing you to buy updates and no piracy. In their books its only advantages.
Well I am curiouse to see where all this will lead. Meanwhile I am stocking up my boardgame collection, there are tons of interesting games and even if they turn the internet of I can still play it and have fun ! ^_^

#137 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:56 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 13 September 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

Its pretty much the same as youngsters not knowing how to use a phone. I mean the static ones with a cord and all. Belive me I have seen that live. My sisters kids looked at me totaly buffeld when I showed them an old phone I keep for nostalgia. They where searching for the display and asked how to search for phone numbers with it Posted Image

Where is that super massive solar sunspot spike when you need one? Posted Image

I have seen that with "professional" software allready. When I started I bought my software, today I can't even find a copy anywhere. You rent the software from companies like adobe or autodesk, either based on your projects time or by subscription.

Depending on the length of your project, that can actually end up as being more cost effective. It's either that or you get your client/company to pay for it, of course. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 13 September 2019 - 03:59 AM.

#138 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:12 AM

Well I am curiouse to see where all this will lead.
Funny places, like Control being an EGS exclusive on PC... but it's season pass being PS4 exclusive.

#139 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

View PostMystere, on 13 September 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

Depending on the length of your project, that can actually end up as being more cost effective. It's either that or you get your client/company to pay for it, of course. Posted Image

Getting the client to pay...yah those a-holes that have the nervs to ask if you work for the same amount as an intern or student AKA nothing/free?

View PostHorseman, on 13 September 2019 - 06:12 AM, said:

Funny places, like Control being an EGS exclusive on PC... but it's season pass being PS4 exclusive.

But its still released on PS4? I mean that would be hillariouse if its only released on PC but the pass is for PS4 ^_°
I never understood whats the buzz about these season passes. I mean its pre-ordering the DLCs basicly isn't it?

#140 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 13 September 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

But its still released on PS4?
Yes.

I mean that would be hillariouse if its only released on PC but the pass is for PS4 ^_°
Well, it's still hilarious because even if someone gets the "exclusive" Epic release on PC it still gets them an incomplete product Posted Image

I never understood whats the buzz about these season passes. I mean its pre-ordering the DLCs basicly isn't it?
Well, yes and no. They can be preordered, but even after all DLCs release the season pass remains on sale - then they serve as a slightly discounted bundle purchase option for the DLC .

Edited by Horseman, 13 September 2019 - 10:42 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users