161 replies to this topic

#81 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

God damn I thought that PGI would get it together and just produce a single-player game without the drama and ineptitude.
Doing this sht since 2011.
Refund time.

#82 Midarc

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

I remain puzzled as to why there isn’t a stand alone release direct from PGI like the original MWO.

Wondering if there’s a systems based requirement, a server side practicality for it or if the limitation is strictly a contractual one accepted due to financial necessities.
Likely the latter.
Anyway, it’s pure curiosity as to the reason.
Companies that have had an EGS exclusive and an alternative method of sale seem to have the best of both worlds.
Ubisoft and the division 2, for example.

If there had been such a direct release, I wouldn’t have requested my refund at all.
Would have been perfectly happy with that.

just killing time.
Day 3 of the big refund camp out, 7 to go.

#83 Sable Phoenix

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

Any publisher/developer/whatever who tries to corner the market with a monopoly on certain titles doesn't deserve any money and should be drummed out of the industry. Leave this exclusivity bull**** with the consoles. No company should be rewarded for such blatantly anti-consumer activity, ESPECIALLY when they're buying up Kickstarted titles that people supported with no good faith information about what they were actually paying for.

#84 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

View PostSable Phoenix, on 27 July 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Any publisher/developer/whatever who tries to corner the market with a monopoly on certain titles doesn't deserve any money and should be drummed out of the industry.

So... Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft?

#85 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 26 July 2019 - 04:12 AM, said:

I dont have problem with epic games store . I paid for MW5 i am gonna play it . So i have to download another portal ? Pff big whoop .

Wow you guys love your steam . To me its just the program i click on to play MWO .

Personally its annoying to cater to these middle man programs on the dumb PC . Console gaming is so much more relaxing .

I just wanna click on a power button and play a game . Console games do that . Its amazing .

Now PC . Hmmmm . I wanna play MWO . ....

First click multiple power buttons . Click on start , then click ESC
Then wait , then enter pass word , Now click steam .wait Now Click MWO . Then play MWO ....

Don't turn off your PC then.

Edited by Mystere, 27 July 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#86 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

I'm assuming there's a silent, huge majority of 99+% out there who really doesn't give a *hit either way.

As long as I can (i) buy the game and (ii) start the game somewhere, I don't particularly care how PGI gets MW5:M to me. I saw that listing of "important" stuff Epic doesn't have and Steam has, and I don't give a *hit about any of that.

In general I don't think Steam's current market share is good for anyone. I don't HATE Steam, but ultimately that 30% cut they take is from our pockets as increased prices of games, and I don't LOVE them that much either.

If the Epic deal is better for PGI financially, that's nice as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by jss78, 27 July 2019 - 04:22 PM.

#87 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:50 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

Not that I could find anywhere. I mean the client is crappy from a performance perspective but the only data breaches I can find for EPIC are the same account hacks that Steam has always had and everything else; hacking someones account login and such.
1. See https://www.cnet.com...-over-accounts/

2. Your argument leans into another repetition of "Give Epic time, Steam had problems when it started too", which frankly I've seen enough to be severely cheesed off. Rant time.
That argument would only hold water if Epic was going back in time to compete with Steam in it's infancy.
Epic is here to compete with Steam of 2019, not 2004, has way more funds to spend on development than 2004's Steam did and has no excuse for launching its' platform in a state that's charitably described as a fully commercialized open alpha (let alone for already falling behind their roadmap).

#88 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

View PostHorseman, on 28 July 2019 - 04:50 AM, said:

1. See https://www.cnet.com...-over-accounts/

2. Your argument leans into another repetition of "Give Epic time, Steam had problems when it started too", which frankly I've seen enough to be severely cheesed off. Rant time.
That argument would only hold water if Epic was going back in time to compete with Steam in it's infancy.
Epic is here to compete with Steam of 2019, not 2004, has way more funds to spend on development than 2004's Steam did and has no excuse for launching its' platform in a state that's charitably described as a fully commercialized open alpha (let alone for already falling behind their roadmap).

Did you read the article?

I'm just curious, because all it talks about is accounts getting hacked. As happens with anyone on Steam who doesn't do 2 factor authentication. There's nothing about data breaches or the like with Epic. Just account hacks. No question Epic was slow introducing 2 factor authentication and the Epic launcher pretty much is an Alpha product, missing tons of features, cumbersome and memory hungry.

Nobody was arguing that it wasn't a worse game client than Steam. Nobody anywhere on dozens of threads and hundreds of posts has said that.

This was about the comment someone made of

They've had their customer data breached more times than all the other major game companies combined.

There's no customer data breaches I can find. There's anything like that, please point me to it. That's not the same thing as accounts getting hacked.

Edited by MischiefSC, 28 July 2019 - 06:16 AM.

#89 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

Why is everybody hating so much on epic games store?

I don't hate it. I simply keep my digital hygiene by not using it.

I'm not afraid of having more launchers, though i'd prefer to avoid this. But not an alleged spyware.

Besides, as an MWO founder, i have no problem waiting for another year.
Posted Image

#90 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:46 AM

Options. Exclusivity means there is only one place to get the game from. I would much rather have it from a place of my choosing. Taking options away from customers is not exactly enjoyable.

That said, what caused me to go and refund my copy was not the Epic store.

During one of the audio talks they confirmed there was overlap on knowing this Epic deal was going to happen and the community pre-orders, for last three days of the pre-orders they already knew they were going Epic exclusive.
They could have come out and told us then, being honest with the customer base.

They chose not to, and that is a business practice I do not wish to support. Customer should be at the heart of the business.

#91 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:57 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 28 July 2019 - 06:16 AM, said:

There's no customer data breaches I can find. There's anything like that, please point me to it. That's not the same thing as accounts getting hacked.
Outright breaches - other than some 80 million fortnite accounts - perhaps not (although some are alleged, cf https://www.reddit.c...been_leaked_as/ ), but Epic itself has leaked customer information to third parties ( https://www.techspot...-gdpr-data.html ) and some reports indicate it may be leaking customer data actively ( https://steamcommuni...15990047970167/ )

Edited by Horseman, 28 July 2019 - 07:17 AM.

#92 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:05 AM

I dont hate EGS I just dont want to have anything to do with it.

Same thing with steam actually, the whole affair made me remember why I have a steam account. I used to buy physical copy, and then one day I put the disc and I get this **** : "lol you dont have steam brah, better install it if you wanna play just do it, brah or you wont play".
Since I did not manage to get my disc refunded I created a steam account vowing to myself I'll never buy a game that necessitate steam ever again. Except things got worse and worse and now half of my games are on steam. I hate that intrusive little **** that kept sending ads to my face everytime it launch.

Now I buy my games on GOG and I dont feel I'm in an abusive relationship anymore. I can even make disc + box myself if I want to for that sweet sweet nostalgia + you know actually owning the thing.

#93 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, i understand the resentiment.
I came to use Steam bcs i got a key for Football Manager 11 when Football Mananger Online collapsed as goodbye gift.
Suddenly you have to install that **** you had successfully avoided for so long...it is not a relationship of love or apreciation but one forced upon you...

GoG on the other hand is a relationship of customer apreciation and grown goodwill.

Edited by Thorqemada, 28 July 2019 - 07:19 AM.

#94 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:57 AM

One positive thing that can be said about Steam is that they made a decent attempt to compensate the annoyance factor with features, convenience and reliable service. Epic hasn't.

#95 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

It's substandard compared to steam that's mainly why and lots of people have games on Steam already and don't want to have another account with a another login in.

#96 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 28 July 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

lots of people have games on Steam already and don't want to have another account with a another login in.

So... lazy and adverse to change.

#97 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

Dunno about anyone else. I myself do CGI, graphics on my own time, other than MWO. Found out that Epic paid Blender. "Epic Games Supports Blender Foundation". Not that I am scared enough. Like Epic is going in control Mode. :-(

https://www.blender....epic-megagrant/

Edited by GuardDogg, 28 July 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#98 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

View PostSable Phoenix, on 27 July 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Any publisher/developer/whatever who tries to corner the market with a monopoly on certain titles doesn't deserve any money and should be drummed out of the industry.

View PostPrototelis, on 27 July 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

So... Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft?

And Steam... wait.. what...

#99 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 28 July 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

So... lazy and adverse to change.

Are you really trying to argue the epic game stores not substandard compared to steam?

Edited by SirSmokes, 28 July 2019 - 11:01 AM.

#100 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

There are a few features it lacks for sure; but lets be honest here Steam has a lot of bloat. I don't want social media features. I don't give a **** about VR support.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users