Join Acausal Connecting Principal (A No-Voip Unit)

2 replies to this topic

#1 Snapt Gleipnir

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Hello. I'm no founder, but I've been around. I've seen the need for a new type of unit; one that fits the play style of less talkative pilots; one that still recognises their skill and grit.

Acausal Connecting Principal [Acau] is a no-voip unit.
In-game text chat features are used for planning on the fly.
Commanders and lance captains will email tactical briefings that may include images.

We paint our 'Mechs however we like; The Acau Tag is next to our names. If we must find tactical utility in a neon pink Atlas during a public drop, we will make do. If a unit member is under-performing because of their choice of paint-job, they won't be promoted.

Stats are not important. Skill is. After all, many Mechwarriors frequently try out goofy builds and poor tactics. Frustrated (or drunken) experimentation is normal, and shouldn't be punished.

The command hierarchy is simple, and includes awards for battlefield performance:

Spoiler

Contact me, ConstableQib, in game or through the forums (i.e. here) to enlist. Do not post your email here; instead, use in-game private chat to add your address to the Briefing Feed (which may occasionally be updated between officers of rank 'Field Coordinator' and up).

Edit: Some insight into the sort of communication available to no-voip players seems to be called for:

Scouts will use TAG or any lasers onboard to point overhead in the general direction of known targets. Slower 'mechs with TAG (or cold lasers) will point into terrain to indicate possible enemy peek zones. Lasers or TAG can be used to tell intended direction of travel during the start of a match (when no scouting is possible). Turning quickly from left to right indicates confusion when there are no enemies around, and should be considered a request for either an order or an enemy position. There are plenty of other subtle indicators that most mechwarriors already understand intuitively.

The Semaphoric Comms System:

(Fades Only)
Spoiler

P.S. House Kurita are a bunch of snakes. Screw those guys.

Edited by ConstableQib, 08 August 2019 - 08:50 AM.

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

View PostConstableQib, on 04 August 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

I've seen the need for a new type of unit; one that fits the play style of less talkative pilots; one that still recognises their skill and grit. Acausal Connecting Principal [Acau] is a no-voip unit.

With no disrespect intended, this seems an odd concept.

The old saying "no plan survives first contact with the enemy" comes to mind. I don't see how you could effectively drop call a battle, working to a pre-agreed plan but never communicating enemy positions and maneuvers etc.

Of course, if you have decent pilots and you're just dropping against pugs and/or pugtatoes, no communication is necessary. I've certainly been in plenty of groups where it was clear to all of us that no communication was necessary in a particular battle against vastly inferior opponents.

However, with the low player population, a useless matchmaker, and no plan from PGI to address either issue, you're mostly not going to be dropping against incompetent teams. I would think that any mildly-competent unit talking among itself during a battle would have a HHHHHHUUUUUUGGGGEEEE advantage over one that isn't talking.

Anyway, best wishes with your endeavour, and I hope to see you and fellow mutes on the battlefield Posted Image

Edited by Appogee, 04 August 2019 - 10:44 PM.

#3 Snapt Gleipnir

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:26 AM

View PostAppogee, on 04 August 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

I don't see how you could effectively drop call a battle, working to a pre-agreed plan but never communicating enemy positions and maneuvers etc.

I understand your apprehension. Communication comes in many forms, and reaches far beyond the limits of the command wheel, without the need to speak.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users