109 replies to this topic

#101 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:05 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 03 September 2019 - 12:39 AM, said:

Those games to me didn't feel like RPGs at all

Because they simply weren't RPGs, neither were 1 and all 2s. They were action games with a story line.

The only Mechwarrior RPG was the pen & paper game.

#102 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:15 AM

Go back to that thread and take a good long look and make a few math calculations at the overall value . What Preorder ? I paid for MC . I scored one jackpot of an MC bonus .......plus some funny game later on .

I have no sympathy for all the people who lost out on all that MWO content . If they demanded a refund ......Literally Free Content .

MW5 Preorder or Refund does not change the fact it was the best deal of this year . As someone holding onto my preorder , I have no regrets .

I agree. I also preordered because the deal they offered was very good for me.
I got the Maro II, the Maro with ECM that I like a lot, the MC I wanted anyway, basicly I got about 100+$ worth of content for the price of 50$. When I refund I got 100$ for free of MWO content.

And I keep my MW5 copy because it was the addon to my MWO stuff and IF (big if) MW5 is a fun game, heck even its just a middle good/bad game then it was still worth it.

Edited by Nesutizale, 03 September 2019 - 02:16 AM.

#103 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:19 AM

@Anjian

You seem to have a short memory. That is exactly what Mechwarrior 1, 2, 3, and 4 with all their expansions were.

You still got me wrong. I was talking about what could be added/changed to MWO and striktly MWO.
I was not talking about what a new game could be like.

#104 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:46 AM

View PostAnjian, on 03 September 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:

MW3 and 4 certainly had stories, where MWO had none at all. I would consider a game a bit of an RPG where there is an economic and technical progression through acquisition via ingame currency.

MW4 had things like AI wingmen which you can send commands to, and yes there is a single player campaign.

I still have the boxes of these games even the manual for MW1. There is a strong story setting around the game, and that's the tried and true formula of a packaged game today.

The online element on MW4 seems like a peer to peer (no central server) network. There is no matchmaking, everyone finds a lobby with a running game and jumps in. Many games are set with infinite respawns so the match lobby can run as long as it can as long as players are willing to jump into it. Multiplayer isn't a craft but an afterthought to the rest of the game.

MW4 was coming at an age where true dedicated multiplayer games and MMOs were starting to take off. In fact, I left MW4 after a period of time which I was already experiencing a shrinking lobby then so I can play EVE Online. In just those years it was the midst of a revolution.

Looking in hindsight, the most successful mecha games in that era and decade was actually Armored Core. It was single player and story driven, with the later games adding coop and PvP. Such awesome music too. What that company learned from making Armored Core was golden when they applied their talents into Dark Souls. FromSoft, along with Hideo Kojima (who also did mech games once) are now among the leading proponents of single player story driven games today, going back to the core belief and that reminder, that a game is still and must be a work of art.

I never actually played MW4 multiplayer. Can see your point though. It most likely is just a great game with a compelling story and fun game play that really appealed to a lot of different people.

One of the things that is sad for me with MW5 coming up is I would bet real money PGI wouldn't be able to come up with a game as compelling as MW4 was. Their visionaries and design lords are blind to say the least. CW and what it is and their numerous changes that appealed to no one comes to mind. Game modes and overall design outside of cool mechs and consistently puzzling decisions make me think only the mod community has a real shot to squeeze anything out of that game....and the Epic decision further dampened my spirits compared to Steams mod tools and such.

#105 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:46 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 03 September 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

The only Mechwarrior RPG was the pen & paper game.

A Mechwarrior game with actual RPG content would be rad.

#106 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

View PostAnjian, on 02 September 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

Furthermore I must add, the arena shooter game genre is pretty tapped out, and the audience is still massively in love with battle royale games. BRs are very hard to beat in terms of the quality of game play you can produce from it. The problem of arena games is that they are very game mode sensitive. Team Death Match is still a heavily flawed concept --- its always about balance, balance and balance. Balance the weapons, balance the teams, balance here and that. The end result is a dog chasing its tail, and spending its entire energies on it till it dies. It traps you in a spiral where the developers consume their energy in balancing than creating content.

That's exactly why linear campaign driven games with coop are making a large resurgence. That is also why the arena game is dying --- replaced by guess what --- the Battle Royale.

Just imagine if Solaris was designed as a BR mode -- exactly how many players asked it be done. <shrugs>

Edited by Mystere, 03 September 2019 - 11:02 AM.

#107 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

View PostMystere, on 03 September 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Just imagine if Solaris was designed as a BR mode -- exactly how many players asked it be done. <shrugs>

You mean the big stomping? That could be brutal and fun. Also what I don't get in the private lobby you can select a map that was once prototyped for S7 but never used. It would be the perfect map for a big stomping.

As for Battle Royal mode and BT. I see it a bit problematic.
One point of BR is that everyone starts the same and then upgrades by running around. Getting new gear while not beeing killed is one big part of why people enjoy it.
I don't quite see how you would make it that mechs start without weapons and then collect some without, at some point, breaking the rules of mech construction.
Sure you can still say its a simulation inside of the BT universe and people are not actualy piloting mechs but play a game in the game.
Next point would be weight classes, healing, ammo, etc. How to do that?
Sure you could just have a Free-for-all mode with 24 players, last man standing wins....that would still be nice but not Battle Royal. MWO would need its own mech based mode with similar intensity of the moment to moment gameplay.
Like haveing a realy big map with places to hide in. You select your mech at the start, be dropped at a random point and no radar.

#108 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 03 September 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

As for Battle Royal mode...

Battle royale as in "big free-for-all combat" and not the current, popular sub-genre.

#109 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 03 September 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

You mean the big stomping? That could be brutal and fun. Also what I don't get in the private lobby you can select a map that was once prototyped for S7 but never used. It would be the perfect map for a big stomping.

As for Battle Royal mode and BT. I see it a bit problematic.
One point of BR is that everyone starts the same and then upgrades by running around. Getting new gear while not beeing killed is one big part of why people enjoy it.
I don't quite see how you would make it that mechs start without weapons and then collect some without, at some point, breaking the rules of mech construction.
Sure you can still say its a simulation inside of the BT universe and people are not actualy piloting mechs but play a game in the game.
Next point would be weight classes, healing, ammo, etc. How to do that?
Sure you could just have a Free-for-all mode with 24 players, last man standing wins....that would still be nice but not Battle Royal. MWO would need its own mech based mode with similar intensity of the moment to moment gameplay.
Like haveing a realy big map with places to hide in. You select your mech at the start, be dropped at a random point and no radar.

By BR I meant a simple 24+ cluster ****. No need to complicate things. Posted Image

#110 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

BR would be terrible. It's very very difficult to one-shot enemies, so engaging in combat means you take damage. This incentivizes people *not* to seek out combat early in a round, because the obvious winning strat is to stay safe while everyone else gets dead or opened up. So yeah, BR would lead to a lot of hiding and avoiding engagements.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users