Fafnir5

11 replies to this topic

#1 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

So I got a fafnir 5 and it came stock with two heavy gauss rifles. Whats people opinions on the gauss rifle? They sure do pack a punch...on slow mechs and to use them you really have to get your heavy self in front of someone. I have also been using the stealth armor and using 2 ac20s. What builds do people have or suggest?

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

I'm having fun with 4xLB10-X shotguns.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

4 LBX10
2 UAC10 2 UAC5
2 HGauss + bunch of medium lasers of choice

all legit setups

#4 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

I just use the 2 Heavy Gauss, its fun fun fun

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:51 PM

Trace the target at 200m with your MLs while charging your HGR. Then, line up the shot and let rip. That's basically how it works. But if you want some alternative, you can try 4 UAC5s. It's like a fast-firing AC20 that you can burst out an additional 20 extra damage while having good range. The quad LBX10s are a nice setup but I feel that the Fafnirs are too broad and have poor mobility to torso-twist quickly. The clan dakka build of 2 UAC10 and 2UAC5 on an IS mech is too hot 'cause you need to reduce the engine size and lower a lot of armour to fit in a decent amount of ammo.

#6 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:46 AM

Hard to beat the FNR-5. Even stock it's probably at the top end of the food chain.

I run mine with 2xH-Gauss, 3xMPL and ECM.

It doesn't achieve huge damage scores because the heavy gauss are quite efficient at blowing out CTs pretty quickly.

I run my 5B with 2xGauss, 3xMED, 2xMPL and Stealth.

And a 6U with 4xRAC/2 and 3xER-SML. It runs super hot, but something different for when the lasers and Gauss get boring.

#7 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

The 2x HG just wasn't doing it for me, I run it on a Mauler 2P with good results but on the mech quirked for it meh. Might be skill nodes and build getting a bit more speed and twist with the 2P.

I have hit on a good build for the Faf 5 that does high damage and has the BTFU factor that limits return fire. 2x AC10 and 2X RAC2. Regular 10s because they are a bit lighter and no jam. Really is just a hold 2 buttons till they die build. With the ultras I get to easily tempted to land the double tap and jam, something this slow yeah not good. It's also pretty heat efficient.

full build A\:820c1|^<2|jbp<1|l?|R@q<1|l?|R@r41|?P|@P|i^s41|?P|i^tD1|GO|GOuD1|GO|GOv<0|?Pw908080

#8 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

4 lb10 and 3 med lasers

#9 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:49 PM

Heavy guass or as I like to call her "Doom Nipples"
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 20 October 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#10 BCAW

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

Generally speaking, the 5B is the better chassis for heavy or regular gauss + laser builds, as you can only boat 2 of Hgauss ore regular gauss anyways, and extra energy hardpoints = more backup lasers = higher alpha damage, which is the entire point of gauss + laser builds.

The FNR-5 is the better autocannon boat, and autocannon builds tend to have relatively low alpha but higher DPS. You want to do your best to fill up those 4 ballistic hardpoints to make the most out of the chassis. Not saying that dual heavy gauss plus, say, 3 medium pulse lasers isn't a decent build, but the 5B's dual heavy gauss plus 5 medium laser is better.

Lots of decent builds posted here already. Also feel free to checkout Grimmechs (google that) for more ideas on building mechs. My personal FNR-5 looks like this (this online mechlab is great for theory-crafting if that's your thing):

https://mech.nav-alp...#e9e22d9c_FNR-5

30 pinpoint damage alpha (that's equal to 2 gauss rifles) with 5 more damage over time with the ER med, decent pinpoint DPS with the UAC5s when double-tapping, decent heat efficiency, lots of armor thanks to the armor quirks, and quite decent range for an IS mech that doesn't use ER PPCs or large lasers. It is a huge target that can't spread damage well though, and this particular builds is quite slow, so you might want to get some map knowledge before trying it out. Hope this helped.

#11 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:17 AM

Yeah my -6U with 4 Rac-2's and three med ERL's works pretty good. Just learn to manage the heat and watch out for that spike too. BTW, lately it seems when the enemy see's you on the battlefield, you turn into a magnet for enemy fire...I guess they really don't like you if you bring this beast! Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Fafnir's geometry isn't suited for brawling and ECM will be less effective at close range since it's hard to miss a 100 ton barn door 200 m away and it makes your enemies have a low signal warning which will put on guard any mechwarrior worth its salt even when at its back. Fafnir is a lot better boating longer range builds, 4LB10X or 2UAC10+2UAC5 both with ECM are very solid.

If you want to gauss Annihilator is a much better choice, better hit-boxes and more lasers to go with the dual heavy gauss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users