Will There Be Any New Mw5 Footage B4 Release?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Obiwayne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany, Cologne

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:30 AM

Or is that it? A video where we are being asked for more money and one with a justification for the Epic-Deal?

#2 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Would be nice if we got a MW5 2009 Theatrical type of trailer. Would make the game much more interesting than the recent trailers that look meh despite the amount of mech detail in it.

#3 Obiwayne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany, Cologne

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

Something like that would be great but Im baffled that they didnt show any new material in the last couple of months except the videos russ released. Or am I missing something?

#4 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

I believe the last word was that there would be more gameplay/trailer videos, but they're saving everything until closer to the actual release. They've opted to go with an explosive finish rather than a slow burn, PR wise.

View PostArmored Yokai, on 17 August 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

Would be nice if we got a MW5 2009 Theatrical type of trailer. Would make the game much more interesting than the recent trailers that look meh despite the amount of mech detail in it.

Considering the Epic deal was probably, at least in part, done because PGI is scrapping the barrel for cash, I'd rather they'd spend whatever money they have for cinematics on the games intro rather than a trailer. It would be a shame if MW5 broke the chain of strong Mechwarrior intros that's been going on since at least Mechwarrior 2: Mercs.

Plus, cinematic trailers, as pretty as they may be, are inherently less valuable than gameplay trailers, at least information wise.

#5 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

you have a year at least after it goes on epic to watch lets play and other videos,see complete player guides and watch all the cut scenes as a movie on youtube if you were planing to buy it on steam on a steam sale.

I would have done pre-order for steam but with pgi they always **** up some how so I kept putting it off. Saved 100-300usd for doing so.

#6 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:27 AM

GamesCom is in a few days. I guess we will see some new stuff then.

#7 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:25 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 17 August 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

Why? I don't really give a darn about the first trailer. It looks dirty and muddy. The second trailer does give the feeling that I want to see more of the game and try it. Alas, the view count of only 180,000+ is way too low. That is not encouraging for the future of the game.

A British company did this trailer for Pixonic's War Robots. It alone has well over 8.4 million views. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company. If I am doing MW5, I would hire them. Didn't matter if the advertised game doesn't look like the trailers, but they sure got a lot of attention and their money's worth in advertising.

This second one has 5.4 million views. That's nearly 14 million YT views from these two trailers alone.

Edited by Anjian, 18 August 2019 - 04:29 AM.

#8 memorandum

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • Locationmidtjylland, denmark

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

this is what a mechwarrior game opening should look like

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

View Postmemorandum, on 18 August 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

this is what a mechwarrior game opening should look like

You know, I always wondered "Why the **** are there so many small lasers being used..."

Then I learned something while preparing the conceptual work for my lore-based MW5 weapon variant mod... Many of the major medium laser brands in the 1980/early 1990 novels had Red as the primary color of Medium Lasers.
In fact, the 1989 Mechwarrior game... has red as the color of medium lasers.
Green as a medium laser color was only noteworthy for the Diverse Optics 2.
Which is noted to have a little more umph but shorter range compared to the Diverse Optics 18 ML, the Martell series, Defiance B3M, and the Magna MK II.

DO 18, the Martell Model 5, Defiance B3M and Magna MK II are all red-colored medium lasers and those are the four most common.

There's a blue medium laser, the Rassal Blue Beam, but given the time setting of most Mechwarrior games this is extinct in anything except MW5 and MW1.

Despite the fact that the actual game went with green to keep up the norms established by going with green in Mechwarrior 2, apparently the MW3 trailer was going for the more lore-friendly route.
So, those red lasers are medium lasers.

(The original blue, green, red spectrum was decided on because of where they are on the wavelength spectrum and the concept that red is weak given laser pointers. Color doesn't actually give an indicator of power, however, but its likely they didn't know that back in the mid-90s while developing MW2 and deciding on the colors. Also in general large lasers were often blue in the novels, so it also kinda makes sense to have chosen the opposite end for small lasers during MW2's development.)

(I've been making the mod because this following fact bugs the living **** out of me: Shadow Hawk in the MW5 trailers is packing what clearly must be at least a 185mm AC/5 in order to do 5 damage in a single shot despite the very first alpha footage's bootup sequence says it was an Armstrong J11, when first off Shadowhawk's Armstrong J11 is a 80mm AC/5 and second AC/5s do not go above 120mm... meaning there'd never be a one-shot-AC/5... so if they got that wrong, chances are they got everything wrong.)

Edit:
(Actually Mw1's medium lasers are yellowish orange. MW1's small lasers are green.)

(That's still...baffling. Despite all the laser lore hunting I've been doing as of late it's still..so damn odd..)

Edited by Koniving, 18 August 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#10 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

While War Robots trailers where more viewed they don't make me wanna play the game. Looked very generic and just like its a skirmish kinda game without story.
Both Battletech Trailers gave me the impression that this is about a storydriven game, sadly the promise of the first trailer never took roots.

Overall I think the differance in viewing numbers comes from the target audiance too. Handheld market is quite big and people look more around. Console and PC gamers are more focused on specific genres I think.

Still MW5 needs more PR with a good plan of press interviews, streamer involvment and so on. A good trailer is good but I think today it dosn't have as much influance as streamers and press coverage.

#11 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 17 August 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

you have a year at least after it goes on epic to watch lets play and other videos,see complete player guides and watch all the cut scenes as a movie on youtube if you were planing to buy it on steam on a steam sale.

I would have done pre-order for steam but with pgi they always **** up some how so I kept putting it off. Saved 100-300usd for doing so.

This, MW5's 15 month delay will essentially let me map out my entire campaign before I even play.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostKnight Captain Morgan, on 18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

This, MW5's 15 month delay will essentially let me map out my entire campaign before I even play.

I'll have beaten it by then, but the good news is my mods will be quite well tested when MW5 releases for steam.

But out of curiosity, if you could technically start anywhere (assuming 3015 or 3025 as the starting point), where would you start your new career/campaign?

#13 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

Allways had a weak spot for Marik. No specific point.
Also Earth would be interesting.

#14 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 18 August 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Also Earth would be interesting.

Getting impounded by ComStar would make for a funny Non-Standard Game Over.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostBombast, on 18 August 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

Getting impounded by ComStar would make for a funny Non-Standard Game Over.

Recruit technician with amazing skills that used to work for comstar.
Technician is assassinated the day you were meant to depart to start your big career and your assets are frozen because Comstar runs the "bank" that every merc prefers...itself.

#16 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:19 AM

The main problem with all ingame videos of MW5 are again the animations of the Mechs. Those tiny wobbling strides give a complete different feel of weight and speed.
Look at the "epic" mechbattle from the MW5 trailer at 2 mikes.

Look at the Dragon at 2:13 its speed and the running "animation" indicates that the Dragon is running, but the distance between the legs looks like he is running like the "Little Mook"....

#17 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:20 AM

I think PGI should definitely invest heavily into marketing MW5..

The WORST thing that can happen to the game is if it's only bought and played by old MW and BT fans..

PGI needs to attract NEW players, people who have never even heard about battletech or mechwarrior.. They need to draw these people in, and keep them in..

That is the ONLY way MW5 can succeed.

#18 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:20 AM

Here is another mech trailer for a mech game that is coming to the West soon. Maybe replace the Gundams with Battlemechs, and you have an idea.

However, this trailer depends on the emotional impact of lore, and with a franchise like Gundam it certainly has that.

Edited by Anjian, 20 August 2019 - 02:21 AM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:32 AM

Comically, one of the first thoughts I had was "Can I ride in something other than a straight gundam?" (like the RX76s or other lore-appropriate mass production models).

The second was "why does it seem like these might be scaled a bit small..."
Average mobile suit's usually between 16 and 18 meters tall (so heavies/assaults in MWO) (towering high above Battletech canonical heights for MW5's timeline).

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:37 AM

Side note, any idea if that gundam is set in universal century or one of the other time lines?

(Only really interested in the UC timeline; out of all the "alternate" ones, it is the only one that mostly sticks to the real robot genre [as well as it can given whom makes the shows]. The other timelines slip off into super-robot territory on a whim at best or just straight up super robots at worse).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users