If Pgi Released I.s Omnimechs How Should They Be Implemented To Avoid Being Too Weak/powerful?

49 replies to this topic

#21 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

D I D S O M E B O D Y S A Y I N N E R - S P H E R E O M N I S?

The literal only thing PGI could do to make me give them another dime after that EGS bullsh*t. MW5 can crash and burn, it has no inherent value to me. MWO does.

Edited by Y E O N N E, 19 August 2019 - 05:27 PM.

#22 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:36 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 19 August 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

"Too powerful" is highly unlikely. Clan omnimechs are the weakest of the clan mechs. Clan battlemechs outshine omnimechs in all aspects. Clan omnimechs outshine IS battlemechs. Imagine how garbage IS omnis would be.

Even if the IS Omnis can use Clan weapons and equipment like the lore says they should be able to?

#23 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 19 August 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Even if the IS Omnis can use Clan weapons and equipment like the lore says they should be able to?

PGI would never allow that, nor would I want them to.

View PostKiran Yagami, on 19 August 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

"Too powerful" is highly unlikely. Clan omnimechs are the weakest of the clan mechs. Clan battlemechs outshine omnimechs in all aspects. Clan omnimechs outshine IS battlemechs. Imagine how garbage IS omnis would be.

Night Gyr, Hellbringer, Ebon Jag, and Summoner are still some of the strongest Heavies in the game. All Omnis.

Warhawk and Direwolf remain staples, both Omnis. Only the MCII does better, but not at the things the WHK and DWF do.

Nova is still a very strong Medium; what it can do, you can't do as well with a Vapor Eagle or even an HBK-IIC.

#24 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 19 August 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

Why not? If IS Omnis are going to be crap, having them be able to mix in Clan tech weapons along side IS weapons would help buff them a little.

#25 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 19 August 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

Why not? If IS Omnis are going to be crap, having them be able to mix in Clan tech weapons along side IS weapons would help buff them a little.

Because mix-tech is boring and because some IS Omnis are actually quite good.

#26 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 19 August 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

That opens up a whole new can of worms in regards to making the IS vs. Clan tech balancing even harder to pull off when the tech is not segregated. Right now PGI can use characteristics like agility and durability to offset the Clan weapon advantage. If IS Omnis were given this ability, they would probably have their quirks balanced (nerfed) on the assumption that they would always use Clan weapons and would thus suck popsickles with IS weapons equipped. Besides balancing it also reduces faction flavor.

This is a case where we should corerule ignore.

Edited by FupDup, 19 August 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#27 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 19 August 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

Night Gyr, Hellbringer, Ebon Jag, and Summoner are still some of the strongest Heavies in the game. All Omnis.

Warhawk and Direwolf remain staples, both Omnis. Only the MCII does better, but not at the things the WHK and DWF do.

Nova is still a very strong Medium; what it can do, you can't do as well with a Vapor Eagle or even an HBK-IIC.

Battlemechs are the ones that have to be nerfed so hard they're almost unusable anymore, not omnis. The KDK was hands down the best 100 tonner. The MADIIC easily out shined the Warhawk. PGI had to slap them with mobility nerfs so bad people never picked up the chassis again. The DWF only works with the hero pods from a 9k MC hero mech. And no one in their right mind would ever put the Nova over the Vapor Eagle or HBKIIC, especially after the cSPL nerf. It's clan battlemechs that nerf all the things. There's no comparison in a mech that can be fine tuned with whatever armor/internal upgrades and engine size you want versus mech that has locked critical and tech. IS omnis would be 100% garbage. There's no way around that. PGI's system doomed IS omnis long before anyone ever thought of adding them to the game. Best they never make an appearance.

#28 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 19 August 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Battlemechs are the ones that have to be nerfed so hard they're almost unusable anymore, not omnis. The KDK was hands down the best 100 tonner. The MADIIC easily out shined the Warhawk. PGI had to slap them with mobility nerfs so bad people never picked up the chassis again. The DWF only works with the hero pods from a 9k MC hero mech. And no one in their right mind would ever put the Nova over the Vapor Eagle or HBKIIC, especially after the cSPL nerf. It's clan battlemechs that nerf all the things. There's no comparison in a mech that can be fine tuned with whatever armor/internal upgrades and engine size you want versus mech that has locked critical and tech. IS omnis would be 100% garbage. There's no way around that. PGI's system doomed IS omnis long before anyone ever thought of adding them to the game. Best they never make an appearance.

Yeonne didn't put the Nova over the Veagle/HIIC, he said that it is better at its particular specialty. The latter two mechs are definitely far more versatile for general purposes (I'd also add the Huntsman in there too), but the Nova does have a niche even with SPLs being weaker. No medium mech on either side of the aisle can pack as many Small/Medium lasers as the Nova can (most mechs in heavier classes can't do it either).

Whether or not an Omni sucks is dependent on what it gets locked to the base chassis. If you've got a tiny engine in a light mech for example then yeah you're in for a bad time. However, if you're packing the optimal engine for your weight or something pretty close to it, and you've got stuff like Endo then you'll probably be fine. Heck, the Loki is more than fine even without Endo or FF. For the Cauldron Born the only change I'd really make is downgrading the engine to a 300 depending on the build (if boating energy then prolly keep it unchanged). Etc.

The Raptor and Black Hawk KU in particular have the unique niche of giving the IS access to mass-laser spammage. All we gotta do is avoid blatant lemons like the Strider and Owens (because PGI can't/won't quirk things properly) and we'll be fine.

#29 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

i think i would be cool with clantech on is omnis if it was limited to certain omnipods and only a couple per chassis and mabye also with some kind of penalty. but i think id rather have new weapons.

#30 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

Release IS Omni's that wont be hot garbage or DOA would be a good start. With that statement being said, the only IS omnimech that I'm interested in is the Templar which might be trash without some major quirks. It might be best to release a 4 IS Omnimech pack by letting the community do a voted poll.

#31 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 20 August 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

It might be best to release a 4 IS Omnimech pack by letting the community do a voted poll.

I don't think so. Knowing this community we'd end up with the Owens, Strider and Avatar - simply because they were in a previous MW game, despite the fact that they are some of worst possible choices.

#32 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

Which one of those is the firefly?

I don't think thats an omni tho.

#33 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 20 August 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

Which one of those is the firefly?

I don't think thats an omni tho.

Yup, it's just a normal Battlemech.

#34 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

I remember that one being my favorite light in MW3. No idea why.

#35 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:53 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 20 August 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

I remember that one being my favorite light in MW3. No idea why.

It looked pretty cute I guess. Too bad none of the lights in MW3 could torso twist at all...

Posted Image

It was gonna be in one of the MW4 MekPaks but...we know how that turned out.

Posted Image

#36 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, mechs that can't twist is kind of a deal breaker.

But in MW3 it was all about how much damage you can do to one leg anyways lol.

#37 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 19 August 2019 - 06:55 AM, said:

My suggestion would be to give the I.S Omnimechs a special quirk that gives them XL survivability, but they do not get the super bonuses as standard battlemechs and get very little to nothing like the clans. Every Omnimech comes with double heatsinks that can be removed to compensate for the lack of criticals, but their skeleton and armor cannot be changed.

Best Selling Omni-mech
Sunder SD1-O (Samual)
12 MG, 6 SRM4, 4 Flamer, 1 ERPPC

turned into

Industrial Shredder 10Machinegun, 2 Rac2, 5spl
Burst Sunder 12 Mgun 6 SRM4 5 MPL

If they ever introduced the Templar, that's only going to be another target barn door. The issue is how its going to survive will be the first thing in mind.

View PostFupDup, on 20 August 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

It looked pretty cute I guess. Too bad none of the lights in MW3 could torso twist at all...

Posted Image

It was gonna be in one of the MW4 MekPaks but...we know how that turned out.

Posted Image

Developer's license and prerogative. You just split the body into two halves, with the smaller, and bottom half being fixed with the legs and the upper half being able to twist and turn around, just like they did on the Nova. That should not be a problem.

#38 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

View PostAnjian, on 20 August 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Developer's license and prerogative. You just split the body into two halves, with the smaller, and bottom half being fixed with the legs and the upper half being able to twist and turn around, just like they did on the Nova. That should not be a problem.

I was referring to the gameplay in MW3 when talking about the lack of twisting. Obviously for MWO all mechs will have torso twist period.

#39 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

One thing that hasn't been touched on is unlocking the locked equipment. Since IS omnis use IS XLs so often giving that kind of extra flexibility would help overcome some inherent weaknesses.

#40 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 19 August 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

Raptor, Men Shen and Black Hawk-KU

View PostFupDup, on 19 August 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

First wave should be Raptor, Men Shen, Black Hawk KU

Agreed on these 3, the Assault 'mech seems to be the least important. I want the Templar, but Sunder or Hauptmann would be just as good/popular.

View PostArmored Yokai, on 19 August 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

(no need for a Komodo)

You take that back!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users