If Pgi Released I.s Omnimechs How Should They Be Implemented To Avoid Being Too Weak/powerful?

49 replies to this topic

#41 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

As for how they should be implemented?

- No fixed equipment (give them the Adder treatment, and help out the Mist Lynx too!)
- OmniMech XLs all behave like Clan XLs
- BattleMech XLs all behave like IS XLs
- Clan get LFEs

#42 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 19 August 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Battlemechs are the ones that have to be nerfed so hard they're almost unusable anymore, not omnis. The KDK was hands down the best 100 tonner. ....

And no one in their right mind would ever put the Nova over the Vapor Eagle or HBKIIC, especially after the cSPL nerf. It's clan battlemechs that nerf all the things.

There's no comparison in a mech that can be fine tuned with whatever armor/internal upgrades and engine size you want versus mech that has locked critical and tech. IS omnis would be 100% garbage. There's no way around that. PGI's system doomed IS omnis long before anyone ever thought of adding them to the game. Best they never make an appearance.

Kodiak was great primarily because PGI had never fixed the UAC10 ghost heat.prior to its released. That was the primary thing that put and kept eyes on the mech, causing its ability to be butchered.

The cSPL nerf was not a true nerf, PGI had frak it up almost from the beginning. It received a major boost while all other lasers in the class, both IS and Clan were barely touched. PGI literally screwed it up and it was finally put back where it should have been.

Notice the issue? PGI fraking up the weapon coding'stats from when Clans were released and it finally gets corrected when someone else other than Russ/Paul becomes involved.

And agreed that PGI doomed IS Omni, especially with leaving the isXL in its current state of death w/loss of one ST.

#43 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 21 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Agreed on these 3, the Assault 'mech seems to be the least important. I want the Templar, but Sunder or Hauptmann would be just as good/popular.

I am not much of an assault driver, that's why I don't push for one or the other. I believe the Hauptmann would be the easiest choice due to the STD and lots of available crits to make use of that bulky IS equipment. It does not strike me as great, though. The Sunder could be good but depends a bit on good mobility and benevolent 3D-modellers. Not sure about the Templar; it surely would rely on the same benevolence. Knowing PGI's tendency to make Mechs extra wide, even if they are supposed to be slim (looking at the Nightstar...), I am a little worried about the Templar.

In all honesty, I am not sure about any of them. Can they compete with the existing chassis of similar weight? When I see the Black Hawk KU e.g. I have no such doubts. But as I probably would not buy any of the assaults, except perhaps the Hauptmann, I'll leave that to others.

#44 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 August 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

One thing that hasn't been touched on is unlocking the locked equipment. Since IS omnis use IS XLs so often giving that kind of extra flexibility would help overcome some inherent weaknesses.

If fixed equipment gets unlocked for IS Omnis, wouldn't the same be done for all the pre-existing Clan Omnis?

Hmm... how good would Clan Omnis become if they had all their fixed equipment unlocked?

#45 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

Unlocked clan omnis would more or less be better battlemechs depending on the level of equipment unlocked.

Pointless addition that would require balance passes I don't think any sane person wants.

#46 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

The Mist Lynx should have its CAP unlocked.

Every other bit of locked equipment should remain, at least for the current Clam Omnis.

For the IS Omnis however we should unlock all CASE units at bare minimum. Some models also have locked C3, BAP, whatever and those should be unlocked too. Basically JJs, MASC, and external heatsinks should be the only locked items.

Edited by FupDup, 22 August 2019 - 06:55 PM.

#47 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

I wish the MLX had a CLAP instead of a CAP, because even that would be an improvement.

#48 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 22 August 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

I wish the MLX had a CLAP instead of a CAP, because even that would be an improvement.

Le derp, I mixed up the acronyms.

It would certainly be an improvement if only because working with half ton increments of pod space is annoying on mechs so small (would be a nice round 7 tons instead of 6.5 tons like it is now).

#49 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

they could just give the same bonuses the clan omnis get to the IS. this way the IS can be very good and clan mechs can stay where they are. who cares about having two different factions. just make every IS mech much better so that it makes up for clan weapons being so overpowered.

#50 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:12 PM

(most) IS mechs are fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users