Does Pgi Follow The Lore When Issuing Hardpoints To Mechs?

42 replies to this topic

#41 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 August 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

As I said on the first page, pretty much the only way to avoid global MG nerfs would be for arrays to have their damage made weaker than the same number of non-array MGs, like for example an array of 4 MGs would have to be weaker than 4 individual MGs. You okay with an MGA-4 only doing as much damage as 3ish separate MGs?

Uhm yeah? That is still an improvement on a mech that only has 4 ballistic hardpoints.

#42 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:09 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 August 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

The tonnage/slot rules (that PGI will always follow) for MG Arrays is that you add up all the tonnage/slots of between 2-4 MGs then you add an extra normal MG's worth of tonnage and 1 slot (i.e. +0.5 for IS and +0.25 for Clan). So, the IS MGA-4 is 2.5 tons and 5 slots while the Clan MGA-4 is 1.25 tons and 5 slots.
I do seem to recall that Clan arrays also weigh 0.5t. => A c-mga-4 is 1.5t

View PostFupDup, on 24 August 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

As I said on the first page, pretty much the only way to avoid global MG nerfs would be for arrays to have their damage made weaker than the same number of non-array MGs, like for example an array of 4 MGs would have to be weaker than 4 individual MGs. You okay with an MGA-4 only doing as much damage as 3ish separate MGs?

Even a mga-4 doing damage like 3 standard machine guns would be "too much" because that would still equate to a 4 ballistics slot medium to assault getting access to the raw machine gun power of a PIR-1 at a in those weight classes negligible weight cost.
I'd wager that the upper limit for an array implementation that the game can support without getting severely unbalanced would be mga-2s which would grant access to doubled machine gun power at a noticeable opportunity cost ... and even that would still drastically impact the overall "meta".

Btw. you referenced the 16 weapons hard limitation earlier: If mgas were to be treated as a singular weapon that Annihilator monstrosity I mentioned earlier would be carrying only 10 weapons with the equivalent of 24 (in mga-4s) heavy machine guns including 8 tons of ammo plus 4 M lasers at max reactor size and max armor.

Edited by Der Geisterbaer, 25 August 2019 - 03:47 AM.

#43 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 25 August 2019 - 03:09 AM, said:

Btw. you referenced the 16 weapons hard limitation earlier: If mgas were to be treated as a singular weapon that Annihilator monstrosity I mentioned earlier would be carrying only 10 weapons with the equivalent of 24 (in mga-4s) heavy machine guns including 8 tons of ammo plus 4 M lasers at max reactor size and max armor.

Yeah, I derped and mentally considered each MGA to be more than one weapon earlier. With that correction the potential for balancing issues is even higher.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users