43 replies to this topic

#1 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

Funny enough I've been having trouble getting Hit and Runs for the event, and according to how the description seems to be worded, I should be getting them constantly:

A Hit and Run award is generated based off every engagement against an enemy 'Mech. Every point of damage dealt on an enemy counts for 1 point. However, every point of damage taken counts of -2 points. If the total damage taken during the engagement is greater than 15, the Hit and Run score is zeroed. If the score is greater than 10, the user gets a Hit and Run award!

Under that definition, a single dual PPC hit with no return hit should count as a hit and run, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I've heard some people say that it requires the target to target you back, or deal you some damage. If that's true then that seems quite counter-intuitive since with a competent poke/hit and run the enemy shouldn't even be in a position to initially notice you shooting.

EDIT: I think I've figured out the main problem. I'm not leaving enough time between shots for the game to consider it the end of an engagement:

I get the first 3 reliably after waiting a huge amount of time between shots, but after that I keep firing all game long and end up never getting another one.

Edited by Krivvan, 31 March 2018 - 11:43 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

I've had some trouble getting it to register as well. I think part of it may be what they define as an "engagement window." After flinging out some damage with no return fire I have to wait for what feels like 10+ seconds behind cover for it to register, if it even registers at all.

#3 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

Well, finally got a match where I got 4 at once, and I purposefully poked like an idiot from the same spot over and over again at mechs looking right at me. So....yeah, it's looking to me like it requires the enemy to respond to you in some way whether by targeting or shooting you.

Edited by Krivvan, 31 March 2018 - 07:12 PM.

#4 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

This is for real?

Def an exp bar I see.

You shoot, you run away without drawing any fire.

#5 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 31 March 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

You shoot, you run away without drawing any fire.

That's not how it works, at least not the full story. I have a bunch of video evidence of doing just that without being hit and not getting a hit and run. Only got hit and runs on mechs that were looking right at me. From what I can tell, the Hit and Run reward directly rewards bad play.

Edited by Krivvan, 31 March 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 31 March 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

That's not how it works, at least not the full story. I have a bunch of video evidence of doing just that without being hit and not getting a hit and run. Only got hit and runs on mechs that were looking right at me. From what I can tell, the Hit and Run reward directly rewards bad play.

It's generally something I get during a scouting action

#7 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

I get them too, and I finished the event quickly enough, it's just that it seems to occur far less than it should, which prompted me to experiment, and I only got a good number of them per match when purposefully playing badly by poking at mechs that were already looking at me. I also notice that many times where I'd expect to get a Hit and Run, I get a Flanking instead.

I was mostly wondering if anyone has very definitively figured out all the exact requirements for it.

Ok I think I got it, FupDup was right, it requires a strangely long period of disengagement before it registers, and any damage you continue to do afterwards ends up extending the timer up to a point where it doesn't register. It still ends up sort of rewarding bad play though since you don't get it when you keep up the hit and runs all game long without any pause, which is apparently what was happening to me when I reviewed the recorded games. It might also still require mutual targeting but I'm not sure about that.

Edited by Krivvan, 31 March 2018 - 08:37 PM.

#8 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with all of the issues with lost damage recently. Maybe whatever calculation the game does for Hit & Run isn't adding up correctly because the game isn't tracking damage consistently?

#9 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

Does seem like weird reward... shoot and then hide for ages :/

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostchucklesMuch, on 31 March 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

Does seem like weird reward... shoot and then hide for ages :/

Doesn't matter to my 78 alpha HBR, as it requires 10 seconds to cool off. :D

#11 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 31 March 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

I get them too, and I finished the event quickly enough, it's just that it seems to occur far less than it should, which prompted me to experiment, and I only got a good number of them per match when purposefully playing badly by poking at mechs that were already looking at me. I also notice that many times where I'd expect to get a Hit and Run, I get a Flanking instead.

I was mostly wondering if anyone has very definitively figured out all the exact requirements for it.

Ok I think I got it, FupDup was right, it requires a strangely long period of disengagement before it registers, and any damage you continue to do afterwards ends up extending the timer up to a point where it doesn't register. It still ends up sort of rewarding bad play though since you don't get it when you keep up the hit and runs all game long without any pause, which is apparently what was happening to me when I reviewed the recorded games. It might also still require mutual targeting but I'm not sure about that.

I got mine just hitting and running away. And finally, after a bit, the reward appeared.
I'm pretty sure the enemy wasn't targeting me, as he was engaging another mech.

#12 GX9900 Gundam X

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 31 March 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

Or you know, maybe hitting someone with indirect LRM/ATM fire isn't really a "hit and run" style of attack......

#13 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

View PostGX9900 Gundam X, on 31 March 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

Or you know, maybe hitting someone with indirect LRM/ATM fire isn't really a "hit and run" style of attack......

I'm not talking about LRMs.

Look at this match for example:

I'm hitting mechs constantly without being hit back, but because there's no huge amount of downtime between each of my shots, I never end up getting a Hit and Run.

Contrast with this match, where I purposefully wait an insane amount of time between shots and I end up getting reliable Hit and Runs, but after the first 3, I never get one again:

Edited by Krivvan, 31 March 2018 - 11:56 PM.

#14 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:11 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 March 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Doesn't matter to my 78 alpha HBR, as it requires 10 seconds to cool off. :D

Lol - well there is that :)

#15 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 March 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Doesn't matter to my 78 alpha HBR, as it requires 10 seconds to cool off. Posted Image

MORE CLAN BIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:41 AM

From what i've seen you've got to hit a mech then go behind cover to get it, at least thats how it appears to work for me.. If they hit you back it doesn't work..

#17 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:55 AM

Dictionary:

Hit n Run
“denoting or relating to a swift attack followed by immediate withdrawal”

You strike (once), you dissapear / break contact and you get the reward.

This is what works for me...

A strike in this regard is not a contious pounding of the enemy and break contact means increasing the distance and possibly breaking line of sight with your target.

Edited by Old dirty B, 01 April 2018 - 04:59 AM.

#18 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:26 AM

I saw this topic and I thought my old thread was necro-ed. Lol.

But it's good to see even a mega veteran sensai master like krivvan gets affected by PGI's inability to explain things =)

#19 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostFupDup, on 31 March 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

I've had some trouble getting it to register as well. I think part of it may be what they define as an "engagement window." After flinging out some damage with no return fire I have to wait for what feels like 10+ seconds behind cover for it to register, if it even registers at all.

Yeah pretty much this. You damage an enemy and it usually has to be substantial damage too, no grazing damage shots, usually near full alphas and then you run and hide behind cover for about 10 seconds. Also seems to me you need to brake LOS for all enemy mechs for the hit and run to register. I can't recall a time where I was spotted by the enemy where it registered.

Best mechs for this are usually ECM lights or fast, agile mediums optimized to engage at mid ranges of about 300-400 meters. For example I get them all the time in my Grinner, Purifier, and PHX-2 which all operate ER MLs and typically try to stay out past the 250m to get full use of their ECM. My Shadow Cat with dual PPCs can do this as well as can several other ECM capable mechs I own. Don't get me wrong you can do it in any mechs, it is just that mechs that are fast enough to pop out, unload 30+ points of damage and then fade away without catching notice are the best at it.

View PostrazenWing, on 01 April 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

I saw this topic and I thought my old thread was necro-ed. Lol.

But it's good to see even a mega veteran sensai master like krivvan gets affected by PGI's inability to explain things =)

Well you got to consider that most of us just play the game and if we get rewarded with something like a Flanking, protected light, etc, it just sort of happens without any conscious effort. Most of us probably don't even really pay attention to it, at least not enough to actively pursue anything more than a Kill, KMDD or an Assist. Usually there is just no reason to look at it any harder than that.

#20 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

I just googled about this. That old thread mentioned something with having a sensor lock on your target and the target have a lock on you too aswell as part of it to count.
Wonder if my Lolcust with 2 x srm 4 are enough, didnt go that well, might be just me trying to punch a dire wolfs back out for to long...

But yeah, trying NOT to focus on the task makes it strangely easier to get it done in the end. Just... play and have fun, not think about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users