Best Gauss Rifle Mech?

BattleMechs Metagame Weapons

40 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky The Magnificent

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

Hi mechwarriors!

I am looking for suggestions for my next mech. I usually like to find variants that are highly quirked and build a loadout around them. I have a variety of weapon builds but no gauss mechs currently.

What are some good mechs to carry these weapons?

#2 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

- King Crab KGC-000B (gauss+ML+SSRM2x3)
- Mad Cat MK II MCII-1 \ Mad Cat MK II MCII-B (gauss+ERML\ERLL)
- Rifleman RFL-3C (Light gauss)
- Blood Asp BAS-Prime \ Blood Asp BAS-Prime(c) (gauss)
- Fafnir FNR-5B (gauss)
- Fafnir FNR-5 (Heavy gauss)
- Nightstar NSR-10P (gauss\Light gauss)
- Marauder II MAD-IIC-D (Gauss+ERLL)
- Roughneck RGH-1A (Gauss)

All of them nice work with gauss. They not quirked, but all that can be compensating by skill tree.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

for the very best guass rifle on the is side when you want that round to be the fastest or dam near fastest projectile in the game as well as shoot across the map go for the hbk-4g or pnt-10p and focus on the velocity and range nodes in fire power. My poor aim prevents me from using it as much as I like with a shaky hand but if you have the aim then you can do a lot of damage.

The hbk-4g can mount the heavy guass too but you'll need to drop engine and go smls for back ups. Pnt 10p becomes a hollander basically.

Edit: they are quirked for velocity,range and cool down so stack it with firepower. It adds up very nice.

Edited by JediPanther, 28 August 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#4 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

gauss rifles are some of the most fun weapons in the game, they're fairly hard to use but rewarding, always best to use in pairs and mix in with some ppcs or lasers

dual regular gauss:

night gyr and warhammer are the best imo

madcat MK2-1, death strike, vapor eagle are also very strong, you can also mount dual gauss on a hunch2c, but it becomes slow (good for fp, not good in qp)

dual heavy gauss:

anni, fafnir, sleipnir, victor

#5 Lucky The Magnificent

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Are there any mechs quirked specifically for gauss?

I should clarify I am looking to do regular gauss. I already have a several close range mechs.

#6 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 28 August 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

Thanks for the ideas. Are there any mechs quirked specifically for gauss?

I should clarify I am looking to do regular gauss. I already have a several close range mechs.

Gauss doesn't need quirks. Ballistic range will give it a bit more but it's much more effective on the Warhammer and Night Gyr to go hunting for quirks.

#7 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,906 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

As a low skill player, who brawls in everything even when I shouldn't, take my commentary with a giant grain of salt, but my absolute highest performing mech, long term stats-wise is just a 2erll, 2gauss Marauder IIC-D with ECM. Only thing on IS side I ever ran dual gauss on was an extra Jagger I had laying around, and it was OK.

#8 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

Hunch 4H have a huge +20% ballistic range, making it almost 800m optimal range, pre skills.

Never had good experience with a singular gauss, though.
I loved it on the Highlander, before charge up time introduction.
My best memory of it is Alpine Peaks, when i got UI bug that turned all interface off (including crosshair). I had to shoot a medium laser to point myself at the target while beam burns, and then shoot gauss.
But ever since charge up time introduction, and assault JJ nerf, gauss Highlander made me feel like this:
Posted Image

P.S. Rifleman 3N isn't a bad sniper with dual light gauss, but not for QP.

#9 Lucky The Magnificent

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

I might go with the Night Gyr. Do you run stock NTG-B? There doesn't seem to be much room for customization on that one. But jump jets are nice.

What do people think of the Highlander? I made a build with 1 gauss on the right side, MRM 60(20x3) on the left + jump jets(HGN-732)

I was thinking pop-tart and one-two punch.

Edited by Lucky The Magnificent, 28 August 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#10 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 28 August 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

I might go with the Night Gyr. Do you run stock NTG-B? There doesn't seem to be much room for customization on that one. But jump jets are nice.

What do people think of the Highlander? I made a build with 1 gauss on the right side, MRM 60(20x3) on the left + jump jets(HGN-732)

All Night Gyr's have jj's.

Either go with D for ct hardpoint and do two gauss four meds, or the H for two er large and two guass ecm.

#11 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 28 August 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

If you can reliably shoot gauss on cooldown, you can try it. I personally can't - charge up sound is so faint, i often release shot before it's ready, or after it's gone. And this makes me facetank a lot, with expected results.
I really tried to stick with gauss on my Highlander, but gave up eventually. But i'm a solanum tuberosum, so dunno.

But don't ever expect it to poptart. I want to cry hysterically every time i press space in HGN, even with all JJs and skills for them.

Same for Cataphract, once mighty gauss+erppc wielder.

For poptarts look at mediums, but i'm not sure if they can carry a normal gauss. And with LGR you'll be losing DPS between jumps.
Griffin 5M can jump well, and carry a LGR and two ERLLS, or even ERPPCs if you min max it thoroughly. Maybe Uziel 2S or 3P with dual LGR...
Doubt it's viable, though. Mid range poptarts with PPCs ot HPPCs, Sparky for example, are more interesting.

Want a good gauss experience - go with dual gauss heavies or assaults, as people suggested. Or quad gauss Kodiak..

#12 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

If you want to poptart get the night gyr and put 2 gauss 1 ppc on it. Its nowhere near as good as it once was, but its still good. You can occasionally fire all 3 and eat the ghost heat, then switch to firing 2 gauss...delay...ppc until ur cool, and you can alpha again

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

Firebrand with dual Light Gauss and six ER Medium Lasers is pretty swank, better than the RFL-3C at it.

#14 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 28 August 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

Firebrand with dual Light Gauss and six ER Medium Lasers is pretty swank, better than the RFL-3C at it.

Ew.

#15 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,906 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 28 August 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

This is a great build for those new to the whole Gauss, and in his case Light Gauss, thing as well. It is one of what I use out of necessity but which can teach potentially better players the timing of LG. Get all 4 energy duration nodes, and then when you alpha the whole thing, when the beam of the ML disappears, the let go button you have assigned to the LG. Do it enough to build the muscle memory not to need the ML as guidance. I needed the same thing with ERML to teach me how to use HG properly. Better players can alpha all day with this, but for me it was great just to get the damn timing right and not be totally useless.

Edited by Bud Crue, 28 August 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#16 Depressing-Fire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNew Tasmania, Kikuyu

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

Kit Fox - Prime.....

#17 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 28 August 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

If you can reliably shoot gauss on cooldown, you can try it. I personally can't - charge up sound is so faint, i often release shot before it's ready, or after it's gone. And this makes me facetank a lot, with expected results.
I really tried to stick with gauss on my Highlander, but gave up eventually. But i'm a solanum tuberosum, so dunno.

But don't ever expect it to poptart. I want to cry hysterically every time i press space in HGN, even with all JJs and skills for them.

Same for Cataphract, once mighty gauss+erppc wielder.

For poptarts look at mediums, but i'm not sure if they can carry a normal gauss. And with LGR you'll be losing DPS between jumps.
Griffin 5M can jump well, and carry a LGR and two ERLLS, or even ERPPCs if you min max it thoroughly. Maybe Uziel 2S or 3P with dual LGR...
Doubt it's viable, though. Mid range poptarts with PPCs ot HPPCs, Sparky for example, are more interesting.

Want a good gauss experience - go with dual gauss heavies or assaults, as people suggested. Or quad gauss Kodiak..

One of the tricks to learning to use gauss is setting all the weapons groups you don't use to gauss as well. That way when you're charging up, you get a bunch of the weapons groups around your reticle turn green giving you visual input to release the gauss.

Eventually, with use, your fingers just get the timing of the gauss charge down and it'll just become second nature....until you stop using gauss for awhile, then it takes a few games to build it back.

Example:

Here's weapons group 2/4/5/6 selected for gauss. You can see that it's yellow (charging)
Posted Image

Now it's ready to fire (green)
Posted Image

and now it's on cooldown (red):
Posted Image

Edited by Vxheous, 28 August 2019 - 09:04 PM.

#18 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 28 August 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

Hi mechwarriors!

I am looking for suggestions for my next mech. I usually like to find variants that are highly quirked and build a loadout around them. I have a variety of weapon builds but no gauss mechs currently.

What are some good mechs to carry these weapons?

I personally like using the Deathstrike (Mad Cat MK II hero) with either 2 gauss 6 ERML, or 2 gauss 2 ERLL 4 ERML as the build. No quirks, but it doesn't really need them. The Mad Cat MK II-1 is the poor man's version, with 2 Gauss 2 heavy large laser 2 ERML as well.

Edited by Vxheous, 28 August 2019 - 09:11 PM.

#19 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

View PostVxheous, on 28 August 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

One of the tricks to learning to use gauss is setting all the weapons groups you don't use to gauss as well. That way when you're charging up, you get a bunch of the weapons groups around your reticle turn green giving you visual input to release the gauss.

Eventually, with use, your fingers just get the timing of the gauss charge down and it'll just become second nature....until you stop using gauss for awhile, then it takes a few games to build it back.

Example:

Here's weapons group 2/4/5/6 selected for gauss. You can see that it's yellow (charging)

Now it's ready to fire (green)

and now it's on cooldown (red):

I do this as well and find it really helps.

Not sure if you top end guys do this, but I also only use right mouse for gauss. Every mech, no matter what and have done this for years now on purpose. My reasoning behind it is to have that muscle memory be second nature, and due to the charge my faster finger on the left made sense to me for the laser/ppc weapons that went with it.

Interested in your opinion on this.

#20 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

MAD-4L comes naturally with dual gauss, ER PPC and ECM. It's also quirked for stealth and gauss/er ppc ghost heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users