What Has Happened To The Loyal Fan Base

103 replies to this topic

#21 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 August 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

i still hate steam. i will continue to think of it and anything like it as unnecessary bloat the cost of which comes out of my pocket. i do recognize the need for a download service to exist in this day and age. however any features beyond fulfilling that need are completely unnecessary.

I hate that stuff too as it reminds me of the middlemen like studios in Hollywood, and Labels in the music industry.

#22 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:58 AM

notice how few founders are left....... ie Loyal Fans.

#23 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:30 AM

So loyal are only those who paid first?

#24 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

I am still playing MWO. Joined in 2011.

City of Heroes got resurrected from the ashes 2 months ago, one of the best MMO's ever, god's knows why NC Soft pulled it in 2012 to make space for a couple of new games that were never as good. So been doing that a while.

The Epic games thing doesn't mean much to me unless there is no offline mode. No offline mode with a singleplayer game means you don't own it to me. I don't know how Epic games will handle that.

I also don't like the exclusivity of Steam and Epic when they seem to be blocking me from running my games without their OK, but that battle was lost long ago. I guess buying games through "Are there any Deals.com" instead, for $5 and such is some recompense.

I think it's just a lot of new games are out is all, MWO is still my favorite PvP game and it is very well done. MechWarrior 5 will be a much better MechWarrior game experience because of the deal with Epic, they say, and if so that has merit so I have no problem with it. Same as Steam though maybe not as good. I don't want Steam or Epic, but if the game is good and it starts when I want to play it, even in 2030, it's good enough.

Edited by Lightfoot, 30 August 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#25 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

I only have one game on Epic and you can start it without the Epic launcher. Just make a shortcut from the games folder instead of using the one Epic provides. Russ said the same should be possible for MW5.

#26 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

PGI betrayed/failed the loyal fanbase. They abandoned Mechwarrior Online for MW5M.

I can't get new people to play more than 2 games of MWO due to the current state of things, and being honest, I cannot see myself ever giving them another cent until they do something to fix the game and earn back my trust.

I just don't see any of that happening.

I won't quit playing until they shut the servers down, but it saddens me to think of how much fun it used to be, and the vast wasteland it is now.

#27 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

I just hope some modder cracks open MW5s coop mode to be extanded to become a MWO 2.0 LIGHT as in you can at least play against each other with a smoother gameplay. I don't aspect modders to rebuild MWO inside of MW5 but one can still dream ^_^

#28 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

View PostMax Immelmann, on 29 August 2019 - 07:07 AM, said:

Loyalty is a two way street. If one party is loyal and the other chooses to abuse that - or becomes disloyal itself - then the number of customers willing to extend their trust will dwindle over time until you're left with three groups of people:
  • The hardest addicts who can't stop playing even if they wanted to
  • The noobiest noobs who haven't heard of the game before and have no idea of its' past
  • The antisocial hermits who never tried to see what's going on with the developer or the game's community and so were completely insulated from the knowledge

Edited by Horseman, 30 August 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#29 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 457 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

The abandoning ship began when PGI told the founders flat up that we did not matter. Russ' own words were that we were not the core audience. Gee, you think that since we kickstarted and funded this whole game, we might get a little more respect than that. They totally ignored a few changes that could have been made early on to assist with balance. Then they hosed all assault pilots and jump jet pilots with idiotic nerf bats that made a light mech more powerful than an assault, flipping 30 years of BT/MW on its head. Then they made promises as to things that would be in the game and consistently failed to deliver. Then when FP/CW came out they took over a half a billion c-bills from me and my friends that ran Comstar Irregulars, promising the availabitity of jump ship usage, and planetary defenses to help defend what you win. They kept the cbills and then gave us a lame pay to recruit mechanic. They are setting on so many unused cbills laughing at us, the player base. (we had 6 of us founders as officers and over 300 players active at one time). Of all the original players in CI from the first two years, I am the only one left. The twitch shooter nascar game and capwarrior alternative are whats left of a pile of broken promises. Nerfed gauss firing, slow as molasses PPC's you can simply step out of the way of and LRM 80 boats are symptoms of a complete lack of understanding of MW or caring to do so. The ship looks more and more deserted every week.

#30 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

View PostMax Immelmann, on 30 August 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

notice how few founders are left....... ie Loyal Fans.

First off all early adopters are not necessarily loyal.

Second, gameplay wise it's probably not such a bad thing considering how common it was for founder's Atlas to be spotted running around with lurms.

#31 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostMechsniper, on 30 August 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

The abandoning ship began when PGI told the founders flat up that we did not matter. Russ' own words were that we were not the core audience. Gee, you think that since we kickstarted and funded this whole game, we might get a little more respect than that. They totally ignored a few changes that could have been made early on to assist with balance. Then they hosed all assault pilots and jump jet pilots with idiotic nerf bats that made a light mech more powerful than an assault, flipping 30 years of BT/MW on its head. Then they made promises as to things that would be in the game and consistently failed to deliver. Then when FP/CW came out they took over a half a billion c-bills from me and my friends that ran Comstar Irregulars, promising the availabitity of jump ship usage, and planetary defenses to help defend what you win. They kept the cbills and then gave us a lame pay to recruit mechanic. They are setting on so many unused cbills laughing at us, the player base. (we had 6 of us founders as officers and over 300 players active at one time). Of all the original players in CI from the first two years, I am the only one left. The twitch shooter nascar game and capwarrior alternative are whats left of a pile of broken promises. Nerfed gauss firing, slow as molasses PPC's you can simply step out of the way of and LRM 80 boats are symptoms of a complete lack of understanding of MW or caring to do so. The ship looks more and more deserted every week.

I still remember the CI clan from FP 1 and 2.

My own friend's list made from the CW days are practically deserted except for a very few.

Edited by Anjian, 30 August 2019 - 07:00 PM.

#32 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostHorseman, on 30 August 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

Loyalty is a two way street. If one party is loyal and the other chooses to abuse that - or becomes disloyal itself - then the number of customers willing to extend their trust will dwindle over time until you're left with three groups of people:
  • The hardest addicts who can't stop playing even if they wanted to
  • The noobiest noobs who haven't heard of the game before and have no idea of its' past
  • The antisocial hermits who never tried to see what's going on with the developer or the game's community and so were completely insulated from the knowledge

playing yesterday after Months ...Noob im seeing last match i my Team...Annihilator with a Single RAC2 and RAC5 and 700/1000 ammunition ...

the biggest Foul was the transverse Disaster ...big Great Ideas and Dreams and Lies (seeing the WC License Lie) thats burning many $ , bring the Reddit ban and drives away the only Guys with experience from the Crew...MWO since Transverse in Maintance Mode

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 30 August 2019 - 08:56 PM.

#33 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:03 AM

Loyalty is earned through mutual trust, listening and acting in a cohesive manner, working to ensure you provide a service that meets your customer's overall requirements - PGI has failed miserably to keep any of those aspects on track, so it's not a case of "loyal" players leaving, but a service provider driving away their customer base.

#34 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:18 AM

I may, --- emphasis on may --- give MW5M a shot, epic launcher and all that. But my hopes and expectations are not that high. Personally I don't think the game will ever take off without a PvP mode, but even then it would still have a limited player base.

The franchise hope will rest on MW5M. After many years, MWO has run its course and is headed for a graceful exit. I have no regrets playing and spending on the game, other than leave a message to the game powers at be that you're all pretty incompetent.

We are going to be starting a new decade after all, and a new start to go with that.

#35 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:22 AM

I wonder if I am the only one that saw a possible connection to the "what happened to" and a recent news story?

It was a story in which someone asked "whatever happened to (x), will no one be a (x)? What have I ever done to deserve this? What is wrong with you?!" when said person is the spitting image of the very movement that destroyed (x) by shaming the very notion of being (x) and everything it ever stood for.

If it wasn't a deliberate connection....its coincidence is all too perfect.

#36 Heavenward

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:50 AM

Gamers on a whole are fickle, changing opinions on a drop of a hat.

The whole Steam and Epic kerfuffle is pointless to me, both are companies that want your business, ergo they only have one thing in mind - making money.

Loyalty is a marketing tactic to get you to spend money on their platform, MWO included.

#37 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:36 AM

What happened to the fanbase? PGI happened.

Epic drama have very little to do with it. Rather "the Year of Faction Play" so far being a joke. And absence of hope for the future, ever since the last MechCon.
And stupid waste of resources for Solaris, and Long Tom before that, etc. Step by step, PGI turns away chunks of population.

And with people retiring, waiting times grow longer, snowballing the effect.

When PGI neglects the game, why expect that player will not return the favor?

#38 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:42 AM

What is there to really say that will make any difference other than to say thanks to all that have helped me in the early days and I hope to see many of you in other games....

I am the last Scout and my mission is to stay till the servers close.... Alas, I will not quit my post but, the smell of defeat is great and the greatness of this IP is wasted in the ineffectiveness of those whom simply couldn't navigate among the "trees in the forest of gaming..." As I said, what seems like an eternity ago, "you reap what you sow....." and, that is what we see now....

All this above sounds like Act II, Scene 2 of Hamlet......

"Now I am alone.
O, what a rogue and peasant slave am I!
Is it not monstrous that this player here, But in a fiction, in a dream of passion, Could force his soul so to his own conceit That from her working all his visage wann'd, Tears in his eyes, distraction in's aspect, A broken voice, and his whole function suiting With forms to his conceit? and all for nothing!"
(Wikki)

#39 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 30 August 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

First off all early adopters are not necessarily loyal.

Second, gameplay wise it's probably not such a bad thing considering how common it was for founder's Atlas to be spotted running around with lurms.

Missing the point ... Early adopters are obviously loyal BT franchise fans, since its hard to expect someone completely unfamiliar with BT/MW to pre-order a game based on concepts they have no clue about. And since they are BT fans a lot of them tend to build mechs the "proper" BT way, i.e. most Atlases would have an LRM launcher in them. Being good at the game and being loyal franchise fanbase have little to do with each other.

#40 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:41 AM

@Making White Dudes Type Paragraphs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users