103 replies to this topic

#41 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes

Well, as the One who trusted and had faith in PGI from the start, I was really hoping for Mech warrior. I understand all of your anger and frustrations. I really do.
I was the white knight for PGI for 4 years, and then the most sour angry cranky bitter salty fed up person for 3. I have been both the jedi and sith, and it really just came down to being disappointed in the mechwarrior franchise I love.

Hate is not the answer.

I can tell you all that.

Like DaveGT27 said before. Steam had Half Life 2. A basic store front just like epic. It rode Half life to the bank, just like Fortnite for Epic.

Anyway, as a founder at the very start, it's a respect thing with MWO, and I figure I should be there at the end.

You should think about it too.

#42 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

When MWO closes its doors I would like to have one last mode introduced...a 24/7 stomp you can randomly join and leave. No matchmaking or other restrictions, free for all and the max numbers of people the server can handle to just have one big slaughter ^_^

#43 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 31 August 2019 - 05:36 AM, said:

And stupid waste of resources for ... Long Tom ...

I strongly object!

Long Toms facilitated a whole lot of fun shenanigans solos were able to inflict on units. Posted Image

#44 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 31 August 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

When MWO closes its doors I would like to have one last mode introduced...a 24/7 stomp you can randomly join and leave. No matchmaking or other restrictions, free for all and the max numbers of people the server can handle to just have one big slaughter Posted Image

Why not have it now? Heck, better yet, why not have an endless Clans vs. IS mode using lore-friendly formations?

<drooling> ME WANT IT BADLY!!! <drooling>

Edited by Mystere, 31 August 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#45 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

Well you could use one of the test maps for it..the one with the ring at the upper level

#46 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

View PostDar1ng One, on 31 August 2019 - 07:06 AM, said:

Like DaveGT27 said before. Steam had Half Life 2. A basic store front just like epic. It rode Half life to the bank, just like Fortnite for Epic.

There's a difference between self-publishing on your own platform and going out of your way to purchase paid exclusivity for third party games on your platform .

And make no mistake, Epic is going out of their way to grab games which already committed to a Steam launch - MW5 is not the first nor the last, and there's indication they're only really interested in denying them to their competitor rather than having them on their platform: https://medium.com/@...rq-7ee834ed0ac7

#47 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Well exclusivity isn't realy a new thing. For consoles that is pretty much the standart even if it is possible to port the games from a technical perspective.

For PC gameing its kinda newish. Steam had exclusive Half life, other companies also have exclusive titels and it dosn't matter that they are only their own titles its still exclusive to their platform so you have to install another launcher.

What is new is that Epic uses its mountain of cash to keep the competition out of buisness. Well I doubt that Steam will go out of buissess anytime soon but they loose quite some cash there. Well might make them think about giveing us HL3 finaly to have an exclusive title again on their side.

Anyway blaming Epic for this kind of behavior is not seeing the bigger picture. Nothing prevents Epic from doing so. On the contrary our buisness world has changed to a way that sueing and buying stuff before others can is cheaper then doing stuff yourself ! Service? Who needs that when you controle the market, the costumer will have to buy from you anyway.

#48 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 30 August 2019 - 07:30 AM, said:

So loyal are only those who paid first?

No, but they were pretty much the mega-Mechwarrior/Battletech fans. The guys who have been playing tabletop and video games for over a decade. The people who still have the old novels and fluff books.

And MWO has been bleeding that old guard off faster than they've been able to cultivate a new generation of fans. As big a deal as some people are making the Epic thing out to be, most of the historic fans left long before it was even an issue.

As an aside, the small core that's left and complaining probably will end up buying on Epic anyway. There seems to be two kinds of Mechwarrior fan in that regard - Spineless Gasbag and Completely Checked Out.

#49 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

No, but they were pretty much the mega-Mechwarrior/Battletech fans. The guys who have been playing tabletop and video games for over a decade. The people who still have the old novels and fluff books.

So me...oh wait I found out about MWO only later and didn't back it at that point so I become not a fan...very sad.

I think loyal are the people that stuck with it. That bought stuff every now and then and tried to put out some well written critic and not the guys that constantly salt their way through the forums. Bracking with their title or how much they spend and now feel PGI owns them something.

I think there are those who will stick with PGI for a final last effort and those who go with the media hype of hateing Epic because its cool. None of the complaints about psying have been proven. There is no prove of Epic working for the chinese goverment. Even the reddit user that claimed that Epic would spy said he is just an amateur and was quickly debunked as haveing made some mistakes in what he has written.
You may not like how Epic buys its way into the market but that is the system we choosed to life in call capitalism. The guy with the most money can do what he wants.

#50 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:37 PM

Sorry to say but MWO was nothing but a cash grab to build a 3D asset stash until PGI could find backing and liquidity to finance MW5... The game PGI and probably 90% of the community wanted in the first place...

Not denigrating their intentions but would have appreciated a heads up all those years ago...

#51 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 31 August 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

I think loyal are the people that stuck with it. That bought stuff every now and then and tried to put out some well written critic and not the guys that constantly salt their way through the forums. Bracking with their title or how much they spend and now feel PGI owns them something.

That applies to pretty much all the founders that bleed off over the years. First they rationalized things they didn't like, then they were critical but supportive, then they got salty because it never got better, and then they left.

You don't get to "No True Scotsman" everyone who got fed up and left. Loyalty isn't unconditional.

I think there are those who will stick with PGI for a final last effort and those who go with the media hype of hateing Epic because its cool. None of the complaints about psying have been proven. There is no prove of Epic working for the chinese goverment. Even the reddit user that claimed that Epic would spy said he is just an amateur and was quickly debunked as haveing made some mistakes in what he has written.

And if those were the only complaints people had, then you'd be fine.

They aren't. People don't like how Epic does business. People don't like how Epic's store and launcher are massive piles of ****. Maybe no one has proven the Epic Store is spyware, but they'll be damned if they let a program stay on their computer when it acts like malware and refuses to let itself stay shutdown.

But sure. Epic's great. No reasonable person would want to avoid the program. Everyone not playing 10 hours of Fortnite a day is too busy folding new tin foil hats.

You may not like how Epic buys its way into the market but that is the system we choosed to life in call capitalism. The guy with the most money can do what he wants.

Strictly speaking, no one currently alive "choosed" capitalism. And like it or not, telling companies to go **** themselves and taking your business elsewhere is capitalism, whether the corporate overlords who's toes you suck tell you so or not.

Royal "you," of course.

Edited by Bombast, 31 August 2019 - 03:17 PM.

#52 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 31 August 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

When MWO closes its doors I would like to have one last mode introduced...a 24/7 stomp you can randomly join and leave. No matchmaking or other restrictions, free for all and the max numbers of people the server can handle to just have one big slaughter Posted Image

at its core this game is nothing more than an arena shooter anyway. perhaps a little ui work failing to convince you otherwise. this is actually the way arena shooters of olde worked. so yea sure why not.

but i think id also do another feature of arena shooters of olde (especially og unreal tournament) where you could host your own games and set a large number of game rules to your liking. most people will probibly play "24/7 nascar arena" but others may be looking for "stock urbies city maps only", or "super 1337 siegearama", or "noobpocalypse now, good players will be banned". all rules settable, stockmode yep. respawns/decks/oneshot why not? mech/weapon/skill restrictions, sure. if people like what you did they will show up.

you want variety thats how you do it. though i still think mwo needed to feature megamaps and actual mmo style gameplay. then endless gameplay servers make more sense. but thats dev time and very unlikely in this iteration of mwo.

#53 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

View PostHorseman, on 31 August 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

There's a difference between self-publishing on your own platform and going out of your way to purchase paid exclusivity for third party games on your platform .

And make no mistake, Epic is going out of their way to grab games which already committed to a Steam launch - MW5 is not the first nor the last, and there's indication they're only really interested in denying them to their competitor rather than having them on their platform: https://medium.com/@...rq-7ee834ed0ac7

Wrong? Immoral? Illegal? Enlighten us, please. Because for a whole lot of people, they just want to buy stuff from whatever store sells them.

How many here complain about EPIC but buy stuff from Amazon?

Edited by Mystere, 31 August 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#54 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

View PostMystere, on 31 August 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

Wrong? Immoral? Illegal? Enlighten us, please. Because for a whole lot of people, they just want to buy stuff from whatever store sells them.

What about what he said implied his complaints had anything to do with "wrong" or "illegal?" You sound like those street photographers who have no problem stalking people on the streets and posting images of people who aren't aware they're being photographed on instagram because it's not technically illegal, so what reasonable complaint could anyone have?

How many here complain about EPIC but buy stuff from Amazon?

Amazon doesn't even restrict their own products from sale on other platforms, let alone other people's products. Barring the occasional... weird launch 99.9999% of people who use Amazon aren't even aware of.

Posted Image

I don't even know what in the hell that is, but apparently it's Amazon exclusive. As far as I can tell, it's 100% already-on-Amazon products but now approved by Jeremy Renner's publicist? I dunno.

It's not like Amazon's restricting the sale of blue socks with exclusivity sales or something.

#55 TheMundaneYesYes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

I retired like a month or two before the whole epic thing due to mental health. That is the reason I stopped playing , but I am going to keep my account should I decide its right for me to come back.

#56 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

View PostHorseman, on 31 August 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

I fully agree with your statement Horseman. Business school notes from the house of Murdoch and Packer is, "to get a business and monopolize it", wiping away the competition.

However that practice has been done by, Disney, Apple, Steam, Telstra (AT and T for US bois) to name a few. I think your comment may be more to do with the social system of business, it's goals and it's values.

View PostNumber767, on 31 August 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

I retired like a month or two before the whole epic thing due to mental health.

Mental health is a big issue, and if you really feel down, send me a pm. I was there once. There is no shame in asking for help.

Edited by Dar1ng One, 31 August 2019 - 06:50 PM.

#57 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostBombast, on 31 August 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

What about what he said implied his complaints had anything to do with "wrong" or "illegal?"

If there was nothing "wrong", then why complain in the first place? Posted Image

View PostBombast, on 31 August 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

Amazon doesn't even restrict their own products from sale on other platforms, let alone other people's products. Barring the occasional... weird launch 99.9999% of people who use Amazon aren't even aware of.

The question about Amazon has nothing to do with excusivity. Rather, it has something to do with accusations of killing mom-and-pop and brick-and-mortal stores -- aka. eliminating the competition.

Edited by Mystere, 31 August 2019 - 08:15 PM.

#58 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

Hard to define what is "loyal fan base".

Table top players playing a strategy and tactics board game do not transfer to a video game shooter easily. The result of this is that the table top players would end up playing another table top game or if its electronic, a strategy game on your PC or tablet. The HBS Battletech game is for this loyal fan base. MWO never served their need.

Edited by Anjian, 31 August 2019 - 08:29 PM.

#59 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostBombast, on 31 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

No, but they were pretty much the mega-Mechwarrior/Battletech fans. The guys who have been playing tabletop and video games for over a decade. The people who still have the old novels and fluff books. And MWO has been bleeding that old guard off faster than they've been able to cultivate a new generation of fans. As big a deal as some people are making the Epic thing out to be, most of the historic fans left long before it was even an issue. As an aside, the small core that's left and complaining probably will end up buying on Epic anyway. There seems to be two kinds of Mechwarrior fan in that regard - Spineless Gasbag and Completely Checked Out.

The ones who buy may not be enough to pay off the game's development.

There is a major question how Battletech can appeal to a new generation who knows nothing about the franchise, a new generation that has grown on smartphones and the internet as their mode of gaming.

#60 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 31 August 2019 - 06:24 AM, said:

Missing the point ... Early adopters are obviously loyal BT franchise fans, since its hard to expect someone completely unfamiliar with BT/MW to pre-order a game based on concepts they have no clue about. And since they are BT fans a lot of them tend to build mechs the "proper" BT way, i.e. most Atlases would have an LRM launcher in them. Being good at the game and being loyal franchise fanbase have little to do with each other.

There are a lot of people that were introduced by the video game series.

For this game to have been a success, it would have needed to draw in more people from other video games and appeal to a much, much broader audience than drawing in people from table top.

Those who actually would think that it was proper to put lurms on an Atlas in a game based on Battletech and is an arena shooter could never be happy with this game. Since even in table top games those folks are super niche it is not a viable business plan or intelligent to cater to them.

So no, I am not missing the point.

Edited by Feral Clown, 31 August 2019 - 11:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users