Exploring Faction Play Suggestion: Planets, Jumpships And Dropships.

22 replies to this topic

#21 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 September 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

quick play is actually the thing that ruined the game. it should have been obsoleted a long time ago. but people wanted their easy mode when they found fp unpalatable for casual play. there was no way in hell the plan for fp would have worked without 100% of the population. pgi needed to find a way to integrate pugs and casuals into fp so they could put their alpha mode to rest. but that didn't happen, players settled into their own isolated camps until you couldn't take away one or the other or merge them without killing the game. of course doing nothing really worked wonders, at killing the game.

On the quick play side of things, most of the comments I've seen were about being able to get in and play a short game really simply. ie. Select a mech. Hit launch. Get in a handful of games before having to do something else.
Simply having the casual players filter into one of two sides in the conflict like militia/freelancers to do single drop QP missions under the guise of the event story I would think would be simple enough.
Doesn't really help with the wait times and division of the population over the different queues.
Might need a game that allowed players to drop in and out of an ongoing battle.
Or perhaps if the players are part of one of two sides in a conflict, the side that wins the battle triggers some sort of FP campaign and vice versa. Bit like how scouting does something in invasion.

Interesting question though.
If it was to be looked at, how could QP fit into the faction conflicts while maintaining that appeal for casual players?

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:54 AM

View Post50 50, on 15 September 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

On the quick play side of things, most of the comments I've seen were about being able to get in and play a short game really simply. ie. Select a mech. Hit launch. Get in a handful of games before having to do something else.
Simply having the casual players filter into one of two sides in the conflict like militia/freelancers to do single drop QP missions under the guise of the event story I would think would be simple enough.
Doesn't really help with the wait times and division of the population over the different queues.
Might need a game that allowed players to drop in and out of an ongoing battle.
Or perhaps if the players are part of one of two sides in a conflict, the side that wins the battle triggers some sort of FP campaign and vice versa. Bit like how scouting does something in invasion.

Interesting question though.
If it was to be looked at, how could QP fit into the faction conflicts while maintaining that appeal for casual players?

i think we needed more asymmetrical engagements. using pugs/casuals as garrison forces or babysitting supply lines, gathering resources, etc. why use spec ops for grunt work? these kind of missions are low risk low reward and would be a turn off for units. however if the units needed to hit something for their big war plans it should do so at a disadvantage. you want to club seals ok, but you lose half your tonnage, can only bring 3 mechs and the seals get better turrets, a highly defensible base, an aerotech squadron and a long tom. and there are units who would still win in that scenario. but the fact that the rewards are low would keep them out of there. units should be encouraged into high risk high reward scenarios against each other. units might even hire pugs to protect their assets that they are too busy or unavailable to defend themselves. if a rival unit wanted to fight those garrison forces, it does so at a major disadvantage and no real profit.

this kind of thing gets interesting when you add logistics and territory to the mix. limit how far units can extend themselves across the map or incur penalties for over extending. you can bring more assets to the front line than a deep raid. units want to upgrade their main base, their outposts, expand their territory, wealth and influence. the way to do that is to fight the hard battles and win, not club seals.

i do like open battles. like do a royal rumble style scenario on megamaps where every 5-10 minutes a new lance drops on your map. each lance has their own objectives based on their faction alignment, which usually involves destroying their direct rivals or having to skirmish with any group they are at cross purposes with. there would be many locations to fight over and hold. at any one time there may be 6 lances on the map and they may represent a wide variety of houses, clans, or merc units. so no matter if they are pugs or organized they are always outnumbered.

unfortunately there is no one quick fix for fp in mwo. though i would love to see some of these ideas in mwo2.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 September 2019 - 01:55 AM.

#23 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:30 AM

I like where your going with those ideas and the interactions particularly having a reason for going on certain missions.
Why do a siege mission?
Why do conquest?
What does it mean for our next drop if we succeed in that mission?

Between using different group tonnage limits, limiting team sizes and having delayed drops for the second and third lances it would be possible to create a number of different dynamics for missions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users