108 replies to this topic

#101 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:04 PM

MW:LL is a fan mod.

It's situation isn't analogous to MWO in any way other that they both have some robuts.

#102 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 25 January 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

I'm not sure how it would work with PGI since they are a licensee to Microsoft, but I would imagine that the best case scenario is that MW:O transitions into a MW:LL situation where the community takes over the game and the community pays for it's own servers.

I think you're thinking MW4, Microsoft transitioned certain rights to MekTek and they took over hosting servers (in addition to releasing it for free).

MWLL was a fanmade game from the onset.

#103 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 January 2020 - 02:27 PM, said:

I think you're thinking MW4, Microsoft transitioned certain rights to MekTek and they took over hosting servers (in addition to releasing it for free).

MWLL was a fanmade game from the onset.

Ah ok, so I had them backwards.

#104 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:19 PM

Please forgive me for being in the dark here. I literally just returned after about 4 years away from MWO.

Is this REALLY a thing, or is this the same "the end is NIGH!" talk we were seeing clear back before the Clans dropped?

#105 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:47 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 24 January 2020 - 12:26 PM, said:

I think there's a group working on that, but the biggest hang-up sounds like it's being constrained to peer-to-peer hosting unless you want to rip MWO assets and rebuild the game from scratch.

That's good but there is always a question about MW5 ability to be good multiplayer game. We have destructible environment which is great in singleplayer but may cause many controversy and strange situations in multi (like exploits or something). It's also more demanding with data packets and such. Besides I don't see any real rubbles when building is destroyed in MW5. Sucha rubbles should be a serious obstacle for a mech. I like destructible environment in MW5 but it's still something like a cardboard buildins falling down. Probably it has to be that way beacuse of engine limitation and necessity to simplify this and that (and sucha necessity is as old as computer games). But rubbles and falling buildings should cause some threat for mechs. I like MWO mechanics I don't like instant shot gausses in MW5. So there is a question about what would be better for players who wonna go multi mostly. Time will tell.

View PostMarineTech, on 26 January 2020 - 05:19 PM, said:

Please forgive me for being in the dark here. I literally just returned after about 4 years away from MWO.
Is this REALLY a thing, or is this the same "the end is NIGH!" talk we were seeing clear back before the Clans dropped?

It's nice to have you back Posted Image Yes, it's probably the same "the end is nigh" but rembeber: "It is a 31 century and mankind is once again at war. The battlefields of the future are dominated by huge robotic war machines known as BattleMechs. Piloting these awesome weapons of war are men and women, the elite of the elite, knowing that each battle could be their last".

Edited by Bistrorider, 27 January 2020 - 03:58 AM.

#106 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

Destructible terrain can remain a client side effect, it can even be made to create obstructions, without being a serious networking issue.

The biggest issue facing MW5 is peer to peer networking.

#107 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:24 PM

From what I heard another problem with MW5 to multiplayer transfere is that MW5 uses a "per bullet" hit registration that dosn't work well with online gameing. The current game is build in a way that it can handle at max 4 Mechs online.

#108 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, MW5 and MWO are running on different engines. Wonder how it goes with destructible environment with CryEngine 3?

Edited by Bistrorider, 27 January 2020 - 12:44 PM.

#109 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:23 PM

Member Since 07 Dec 2011

This game entered maintenance a long time ago.
When operating costs exceeds income the servers will come down.
Enjoy this game for what it can offer and move on.
I feel for ya, but.... "He's dead Jim".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users