Petition To Piranha Games

Social Gameplay General

108 replies to this topic

#81 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

I'd be very happy to have confirmation as to where this game is going so I can decide if I drop it now or keep plugging along.
I have other long term projects that are currenty being neglected, a D7D campaign, teaching myself to draw, writing, Call of Cthulhu gaming, etc.

Please tell us PGI if this game has a future beyond MW5

#82 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

Johny Rocket 2013

#83 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

02 august 2012 ( those whom can't remember your join date is in your forum profile)

I'll sign, though PGI won't pay any attention.

Games already been running 4 months longer than I predicted two years ago.

I'd like to see a few more 3025 era mechs added to the game before it shuts *shrug* won't happen but doesn't stop me from asking.

Oh the game won't fold until after they shut down the European and Asian servers. until that, Microsoft or P.G.I themselves chose to not renew franchise, this game will trundle along for another six months after server consolidation .

#84 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:20 AM

As long MWO is making money it should be fine

#85 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:33 AM

Yeah, I've sent it and asked for any comment from PGI on the forum. Against all hope but... Thank you all for the petition support.

#86 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

If PGI shuts down the servers, I'm not sure they would have the legal standing to prevent private servers. And even if they did, they would have to sue in each individual country where one popped up.

There are hundreds of World of Warcraft private servers.

I could imagine there being several private MWO servers eventually spring up.

Based on the WoW model, as long as they are free to play, there may not be legal standing to sue.

I'm not a lawyer, but I love this game and I haven't been able play much. I would be greatly saddened to see it die.

#87 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:36 PM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 10 November 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

If PGI shuts down the servers, I'm not sure they would have the legal standing to prevent private servers. And even if they did, they would have to sue in each individual country where one popped up.

You cannot have private servers without access to the server-side code.

#88 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:01 PM

You cannot have private servers with PGIs server code.

100% that won't be released. Even if it was released there's no telling how well it scales or how much it will cost to run.

Not really a discussion you can have on these forums; but not getting their code doesn't rule out the possibility of a private server.

Edited by Prototelis, 10 November 2019 - 11:02 PM.

#89 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:12 PM

I think modding MW5 is a better idea than working on a old game with old graphics.

#90 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:35 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 10 November 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

I think modding MW5 is a better idea than working on a old game with old graphics.

And it's co op against AI (bots)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes

Clan-tastic!

#91 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:20 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 07 October 2019 - 02:20 AM, said:

As long MWO is making money it should be fine

I think, as long as MW5 makes money it should be fine.
Problem with licensed game is,well... the cost of the license.

Me pesonally I really hope MW5 will succeed, for once it will be my go-to MechWarrior game if it turns out well, and in addition it would be nice to see it keep MWO running.
And even if I don't really play that much MWO anymore (the few drops I do barely count), I remember how it was when City of Heroes/Villains closed down (well that's kind of back to live now at least).

#92 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

View PostDar1ngOne, on 10 November 2019 - 11:35 PM, said:

And it's co op against AI (bots)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes

Clan-tastic!

Now it is against A.I. but who knows what a DLC or modders can do, hopefully 12v12, 8v8, 4v4, Posted Image Solaris Posted Image
Especially with UNreal4 Engine which has multiplayer support

#93 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

It has multiplayer support, but we are unsure of what kind we're getting. (as in how the netcode actually works, we know it will be peer to peer)

I seriously doubt you're going to be able to stick your own network code in there and peer to peer is *** for PVP.

Edited by Prototelis, 11 November 2019 - 04:43 PM.

#94 AlphaWolf294

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas, United States

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 September 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

1. the world isn't as democratic as people think it is.
2. too little too late. game is already dead.

I don't call 400+ concurrent players (usually around 600) dead.

#95 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:54 PM

View PostAlphaWolf294, on 22 January 2020 - 10:39 PM, said:

It's called "beating a dead horse" actually.

#96 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:34 AM

View PostTrystan Thorne, on 11 November 2019 - 01:20 AM, said:

I think, as long as MW5 makes money it should be fine.
Problem with licensed game is,well... the cost of the license.
Me pesonally I really hope MW5 will succeed, for once it will be my go-to MechWarrior game if it turns out well, and in addition it would be nice to see it keep MWO running.
And even if I don't really play that much MWO anymore (the few drops I do barely count), I remember how it was when City of Heroes/Villains closed down (well that's kind of back to live now at least).

My hopes are the same. But... There is even no demo for MW5. I don't understand sucha politics from Epic. You can't check the game. You have to buy it. I don't like being forced into something only because some salesman thinks he's smarter than me and he can play on my nostalgia or curiosity. I've seen some movies from MW5 gameplay and AI is bad (not only for me). Frankly I think I wouldn't be able to finish MW3 or MW4 without my AI lancemates. With MW5 I have a feeling I can play with one finger in my nose. AI should be improved. I've seen some games which at the day of premiere were like alpha version and after some time they became a real diamonds. Devs were constantly improving them. So MW5 probably will be doomed without constant care and development at least at the start. This is the way to attract people. IMO modern games must be like newspapers. You want something new every day even if a game is consider old. But I have no idea how this care and development goes. Someone who is playing MW5 can tell us more. There is also a matter of various expectations with MW5. Players new to the MW world should be pleased. Old-timers not necessarily. So I will wait and see. Honestly right now I don't need new MW single player game. I'm good with MWO. The only thing that is tempting me is Co-Op mode in MW5. And somehow MW5 scores are like 8/10 mostly.

View PostAlphaWolf294, on 22 January 2020 - 10:39 PM, said:

We're not dead yet Posted Image I'm gathering statistics from Jarl's List about current active players. After some drops we have some growth between December and January. My guessing only but it's probably thanks to MW5. But overall the population is dwindling. We will see how it goes in February.
And the petition goes... Maybe someone from PGI at least red it?
One more thing. How about chatbox implementation at the forum? Then we could talk like "live" here. Can someone from PGI can do this for us? Please.

View PostPrototelis, on 10 November 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

You cannot have private servers with PGIs server code.
100% that won't be released. Even if it was released there's no telling how well it scales or how much it will cost to run. Not really a discussion you can have on these forums; but not getting their code doesn't rule out the possibility of a private server.

How about modding MW5 into some hm… stand-alone private online mod (like MWO) if all else fails? I know nothing about modding but we always have some options.

Edited by Bistrorider, 24 January 2020 - 03:46 AM.

#97 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

View PostBistrorider, on 24 January 2020 - 03:34 AM, said:

How about modding MW5 into some hm… stand-alone private online mod (like MWO) if all else fails? I know nothing about modding but we always have some options.

I think there's a group working on that, but the biggest hang-up sounds like it's being constrained to peer-to-peer hosting unless you want to rip MWO assets and rebuild the game from scratch.

#98 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:40 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 24 January 2020 - 12:26 PM, said:

I think there's a group working on that, but the biggest hang-up sounds like it's being constrained to peer-to-peer hosting unless you want to rip MWO assets and rebuild the game from scratch.

Put enough time and effort into it and that could happen. There's a few sites I know of where people have taken game assets and made their own games. I'm planning to do such for just one level of an old game just to teach myself unreal. I've already had college training in 3d arts and animation. One of the biggest changes will be going from old 8-bit sprites to 3d models which I'll be making along with the rest of it. I've finally gotten a pc this year custom built for this purpose. The last component I need gets shipped during the coming week.

#99 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:46 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 24 January 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

Put enough time and effort into it and that could happen. There's a few sites I know of where people have taken game assets and made their own games. I'm planning to do such for just one level of an old game just to teach myself unreal. I've already had college training in 3d arts and animation. One of the biggest changes will be going from old 8-bit sprites to 3d models which I'll be making along with the rest of it. I've finally gotten a pc this year custom built for this purpose. The last component I need gets shipped during the coming week.

Some teams used to rip Halo 2 assets to make mods in Halo PC back in the mid '00s. Bungie was not too pleased with that practice and cracked down a few times, so there is that danger.

#100 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 24 January 2020 - 05:46 PM, said:

Some teams used to rip Halo 2 assets to make mods in Halo PC back in the mid '00s. Bungie was not too pleased with that practice and cracked down a few times, so there is that danger.

Bungie also gave the Halo franchise to 343 games. I'm not sure how it would work with PGI since they are a licensee to Microsoft, but I would imagine that the best case scenario is that MW:O transitions into a MW:LL situation where the community takes over the game and the community pays for it's own servers. It would be decent of PGI if they released the tools alongside with the modding tools that they use to create mechs so the community could create mechs like the Firemoth that we have been so heavily requesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users