Weekend Warrior Event

69 replies to this topic

#41 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Even 3 1/2 years ago, faction only drew maybe 5% of the player base... and that's when the player base was some 60,000 a month. We're now less than a third of that, probably only a quarter this month. Faction play was NEVER going to save the player base since the majority had no interest in it.

#42 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

or at least PGI's flavor of it. If it was true planetary, we would have had massive numbers but that was then. That window closed a long time ago.

#43 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 16 September 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

or at least PGI's flavor of it. If it was true planetary, we would have had massive numbers but that was then. That window closed a long time ago.

No...you wouldn't have... it was never something that ever appealed to more than a small segment of the gamer community, even if it had been everything PGI once talked up it being.

#44 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:16 PM

Planetary brought persistence to the game. Are you telling me that having that type of economy and warfare wouldn't draw in teams?

We have remnants of large units right now with coffers that are unused. Ask Hans over at SR how much we have. Many of which were MC and cbills partly donated by their players and all in anticipation of some type of economy.

No. What wouldn't work would be a quick play style of Faction that we have now. I think you are getting them mixed up.

#45 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

No it wouldn't have. They tried having an economy before remember. The game originally had repair and rearm where you had to pay to FIX your mech after a fight. This led to people dropping with damaged mechs because they were constantly running out of c-bills.

#46 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:33 PM

Yeah. That was god awful but it was on an individual's mechs too. The gains weren't there though no matter how well you did.
It was just more of what PGI does now and it is because they need players to spend money. That made sense then and they couldn't afford to give mechs away with salvage or to turn up the rewards.

But bottom line. That economy for a Queue and the Factions didn't have their FAT planets churning out mechs and resources for them. We were all mercs fighting for the contract and then picking up what was left after each match. Warfare comes from taking planets, their mechs, tech assets and their ability to continually pile up c-bills. And then taking them back or finding an easier planet to setup bases and cities.

#47 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 16 September 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Even 3 1/2 years ago, faction only drew maybe 5% of the player base...

https://mwomercs.com...yyid-statistics
https://mwomercs.com...id-3-statistics

Even in 2017 out of 33721 active players, 17380 played Tukayyid. CW events can be popular.

Good CW events can bring some players back. Running more circles in QP - can not.

#48 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostRoodkapje, on 16 September 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING else is easier than getting wins in MWO Posted Image

He clearly hasn't played the Challenge where you could win a Victor or Cataphract not sure which. It was many years ago.
You had to win AND Survive AND make 1 solo kill. All in one match. And this 60 TIMES.
(just look it up in the links)

https://mwomercs.com...201501champion2
https://mwomercs.com...?t=201411victor

And he is complaining about 2 wins. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome to the world of pain and suffer, some of us went through.

EDIT:
PS: mixed it a little bit up, but both challenges the challenge for the Victor and Cataphract where very hard do complete.

Edited by tee5, 16 September 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#49 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 16 September 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

https://mwomercs.com...yyid-statistics
https://mwomercs.com...id-3-statistics

Even in 2017 out of 33721 active players, 17380 played Tukayyid. CW events can be popular.

Good CW events can bring some players back. Running more circles in QP - can not.

^ That!

When done right, more players will play the game mode the event is for.

#50 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:41 PM

If MWO would be no 12man qp nascar and more FP there would be much more players around.

#51 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:51 PM

View Posttee5, on 16 September 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

He clearly hasn't played the Challenge where you could win a Victor or Cataphract not sure which. It was many years ago.
You had to win AND Survive AND make 1 solo kill. All in one match. And this 60 TIMES.
(just look it up in the links)

https://mwomercs.com...201501champion2
https://mwomercs.com...?t=201411victor

And he is complaining about 2 wins. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome to the world of pain and suffer, some of us went through.

EDIT:
PS: mixed it a little bit up, but both challenges the challenge for the Victor and Cataphract where very hard do complete.

You are both right.
Years ago it was hard, because it was hard. Survive, solo kill, win and that 60 times.
Today it´s hard to get 2 wins, because 90% of the players, that remained in MWO in 2019, are noobs with no interest in Battletech whatsoever. Kiddies who just want to sit in a big robot and go pewpew. I´m talking about QP Solo here, cause QP group is dead (thx Russ) as well as FP (thx again Russ). The ******** builds get worse from week to week. And the number of people who can´t even reach 100 damage is increasing dramatically (in assaults). In order to get a win i have to carry my whole team, have at least 3 or 4 kills (mostly solo kills) and do a minimum of 800-1.000 damage. I have dozens of screenshots just from the last weeks showing that.
So again, you are both right, but i wished it would be like in the old days.

#52 GrimmigerPetz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:01 AM

As I see it faction was never intended for the main playerbase as you have to be a player with a decent skill and a large mechhangar for multiple dropdecks to cover the different matchmodes and maps in faction with specific roles for the mechs to fit.

A weekend warrior or 1-3 matches a day player can never compete with a faction and mwo veteran no matter if in group or single queue.

He needs to grow into it and suffer the pain and gain as everyone of us. Also it means adapt or get splat.

But to help with that and keep the endgame interesting the units were meant to be, imho.

Also along time ago there was an open training programm for faction where faction veterans offered to advice new players to that mode.

So quickplay should always be the core of mwo and when you get tired with the nascar, got a decent mechhangar, want more tactics and a gamemode that relies on real teamwork faction is the way to go.

For mano a mano and duellist Solaris would be an option if it was half alive.

Competition of course is for the tryhards.

And the stuff with the lurms is just trolling from my side.

o7 and see you on the battlefield mechwarriors

#53 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:20 AM

View PostGrimmigerPetz, on 17 September 2019 - 12:01 AM, said:

As I see it faction was never intended for the main playerbase as you have to be a player with a decent skill and a large

And the stuff with the lurms is just trolling from my side.

o7 and see you on the battlefield mechwarriors

I think a bit more gamedepth would have been great, and the only modus for it would be fp

Edited by Paul Meyers DEST, 17 September 2019 - 02:20 AM.

#54 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:19 AM

well . . need more pilots that can kill enemy, taking forever to get assist , when you have to do all the killing . .

I was thinking in the earlier days, I never had an issue gaining assist, but that's because I was not able to kill so well, boy have things changed

there has been some really good matches, some, terrible , and some "they should had all just suicide, would be quicker to get another match" other words slaughter the other team, I've been in all forms. but gaining 200 assist with four different mechs .. daaang.
I did think of just going in FP, for the assist part, but not a fan pugging Faction, those I used to run with in FP are not around any more

really been enjoying these challenges , my alts need more c-bills

#55 DeadWeight18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:58 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 18 September 2019 - 03:19 AM, said:

I was thinking in the earlier days, I never had an issue gaining assist, but that's because I was not able to kill so well, boy have things changed

Welcome match-maker - why not pulling punches with your mechs?

#56 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:26 AM

I will leave one brief, as always, ignored opinion on the current state of the game.
MWO has something no other game (tf2, cs:go, etc) have, not only its fan base but a complexly different gameplay. And for long years it strived, after the steam launch it reached high numbers of players. The integration was weak as we know and the potential lost but Mostly for this reason: When mwo could be improving the user interface, to make it agile and fast. To make jumping from a lost game to another really fast and intuitive while having real time text with people in or outside matches.. What did mwo invest in? solaris, competitive stuff that may keep some but draws away twice more. As if FW wasnt struggling enough already, instead of making it better for new players we invest in competitive modes for less and less people.

Edited by Rhaezor, 18 September 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#57 CrescentReaper

Rookie

• The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

Please fix the heat bug.

#58 RakiaTime

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

event is all well and good but where are the loyalty rewards? anniversary anyone? hello?

#59 DeadWeight18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

Funny part of this event was that the Light Mech part was the unexpected easiest one.

#60 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:18 AM

I finished the event on my two accounts. I then created a brand new account this morning just to see #1 If I could rip through the academy and then all six event categories in a few hours AND #2 how quickly the matchmaker puts me with someone I know is a tier 1 account.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users