#1 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:01 AM

Hi guys,

the last year I was working on a remake of the MW2 Mercenaries intro video. Back in 1996 this intro blew me away and was quite an immersive start to an extremely immersive game. So redoing this video was always in the back of my head, but have not found the time until recently (well, last year).

I took the mech models and Commando cockpit from MWO, as well as some sound effects to make the original soundtrack match a bit better to my version. The rest is my creation.

https://youtu.be/Y5ezgEzpQBg

Hope you like it.

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

That is really nice! When you get the time you should have a go at the intro to the original MW2.

Well done! Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 02 October 2019 - 08:29 AM.

#3 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:27 PM

great job!

#4 a frying pan to the CT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:21 AM

GraySho,

I too was molded by MW2: Mercenaries, my little brother and I's intro to the universe, and this video you have made is incredible. It cannot be overstated what an awesome job you have done here.

Maybe you could post up here a little tutorial or just some broad notes of what you did in Blender and elsewhere, this is really inspiring.

Well done.

#5 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

Thank you everyone for the kind words :)

View Posta frying pan to the CT, on 03 October 2019 - 02:21 AM, said:

GraySho,

I too was molded by MW2: Mercenaries, my little brother and I's intro to the universe, and this video you have made is incredible. It cannot be overstated what an awesome job you have done here.

Maybe you could post up here a little tutorial or just some broad notes of what you did in Blender and elsewhere, this is really inspiring.

Well done.

Thanks mate, glad you like it. I made a post on Blender Artists with some more notes. Except for texture editing done in Gimp and Krita, audio editing in Audacity, everything else was done in Blender. This includes compositing and video editing. So basically this was a project fully done in open source software (except for the OS :)

I would not know where to start with a tutorial, which would have to be quite lengthy, but perhaps I could create a brief breakdown video of some of the scenes and techniques I used if that is of interest.

#6 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

Nicely done! MW2 Mercs was the first MW game I owned. Adding arm sway to the Commando running animation really helped drive home the urgency of the situation! The VA work is still great, even by today's standards.

... but it was a Zeus, not a Victor ;) ( The shoulders, AC on the left arm and head shape are unmistakable )

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:51 AM

Really well done. Also the clarity was appreciated, most would've fogged the whole thing.

My only critique is the interesting though plausible swap of the projectiles from the original to twin medium lasers from the Commando 2-C in the from cockpit shot.
Granted, even the original kinda botched it because it had AC/2s firing from each arm (which it only had one).

#8 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:46 AM

round of applause, great work!

#9 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

View PostChapeL, on 18 October 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

... but it was a Zeus, not a Victor ;) ( The shoulders, AC on the left arm and head shape are unmistakable )

That was my first thought too!

Great job.

#10 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

View PostChapeL, on 18 October 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

Nicely done! MW2 Mercs was the first MW game I owned. Adding arm sway to the Commando running animation really helped drive home the urgency of the situation! The VA work is still great, even by today's standards.

... but it was a Zeus, not a Victor Posted Image ( The shoulders, AC on the left arm and head shape are unmistakable )

Really? All through every playthrough of that game, I always thought it was a Battlemaster...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users