Thunderbolt-5Ss

9 replies to this topic

#1 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

Never played this chassis that I remember until this event, cbill rich and 50mc just waiting for me so I bought one. The 5SS was the cheapest and looked like a good mix chassis for mrm and pulse lasers.
Lots of heat issues because I wanted to boat an MRM40 and 6x MPL. I don't mind spicy builds but this was just to much. Tried all lasers mixing LPL and MPL and LPL and SMPL.

I finally came down to something that worked pretty well MRM40 and 7 SMPL with a LE 300 powering it to 80kph. I'ts a bit under gunned for it's size but has plenty of ammo and speed and the best part a cooling of 1.54.
Figured I would throw it out here for anyone else struggling with it. Been averaging a kill a match.

Ac1820n0|Vg|i^|i^|o<2p`0|d?|d?|i^|i^q`0|[@|d?|d?|d?rX0sX0|d?|d?|i^|i^tl0|GP|GPul0v;0wF0<0<0

Now before an elite forum warrior try hard tells me how bad this build is, I'm a casual player who comes in for the events and this is getting the job done for me.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:56 AM

MRM40+4xML is my go to build on Hunchback 4J. You could probably go MRM40+5xML or MRM40+4xMPL with a couple more heat sinks.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 07 October 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Lots of heat issues because I wanted to boat an MRM40 and 6x MPL. I don't mind spicy builds but this was just to much. Tried all lasers mixing LPL and MPL and LPL and SMPL.

Dude...

That is insanity. I would not even try that and I'm generally, one of the better, at heat mgt in the game (aside from Jay Z, that man does stuff no one can).

TDR-5SS

That is how you do it. It's insane.

#4 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 October 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

Dude...

That is insanity. I would not even try that and I'm generally, one of the better, at heat mgt in the game (aside from Jay Z, that man does stuff no one can).

TDR-5SS

Don't mind spicy because I usually don't just fire everything in big alphas, this group is for this problem and that one for that and well this was to much. And well I got it because I saw I could run a big *** launcher. Love my rockets.

Died in a Flea and rode along with a guy with some variant that had the hardpoints in both side torso and was running just a pair of 40's with jump jets and was murdering everything. Splat in the face, jump splat in the face, land splat in the face, dead. Couldn't find that variant in the store so I might have been mistaken on it being a Thunderbolt but what ever it was I want it.

I love the MRMs in general because when you know how to properly lead your target they are murder. Running a KTO with 4x 10's and some mpls, you just chain fire and walk em in. Think I'm running an xl320 on that, Im moving over 100kph anyway.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 08 October 2019 - 03:54 PM.

#5 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:36 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 October 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

Dude...

TDR-5SS

Yep, 1LPL and 6MPLs is how I run it too. This plays out very similar to the popular Top Dog build of 8 MPLs, except that you can alpha it with out ghost heat. Pretty devastating at removing specific weak components.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 09 October 2019 - 12:37 AM.

#6 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:07 AM

The mech u are loking for is the the Quickdraw IV IV. But it is a Herold mech. If u look up the two mechs u can see why it is the far better Option for Mrm. 1. QUIRKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. QUIRKSSSSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZ
3. Jump jets.
4. Quirks
5. More and better placed launchers.

If u want to play a special weapon, u should always look for good quirks+ number of hardpoints first.

Good place to start, what is possible with a Chassis is
https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/
Than u can see the potential effective weapon tonnage etc. and tune for your favor (ams, tc etc.)
U can avoid buying a mech that is not good for the job.
The Thunderbolt 5ss is a good mech. Try ashs build. With good aim it is gold.

If u rly want to go MRM(it makes your shoulder a big target, i would go for mrm 40 with 6 meds.
U always want to use all (or st least most of the weapons) bracket builds mean u are wasting tonnage.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 09 October 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#7 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 09 October 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

The mech u are loking for is the the Quickdraw IV IV. But it is a Herold mech. If u look up the two mechs u can see why it is the far better Option for Mrm. 1. QUIRKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. QUIRKSSSSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZ
3. Jump jets.
4. Quirks
5. More and better placed launchers.

If u want to play a special weapon, u should always look for good quirks+ number of hardpoints first.

Good place to start, what is possible with a Chassis is
https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/
Than u can see the potential effective weapon tonnage etc. and tune for your favor (ams, tc etc.)
U can avoid buying a mech that is not good for the job.
The Thunderbolt 5ss is a good mech. Try ashs build. With good aim it is gold.

If u rly want to go MRM(it makes your shoulder a big target, i would go for mrm 40 with 6 meds.
U always want to use all (or st least most of the weapons) bracket builds mean u are wasting tonnage.

Thanks fr the info but saw the guy again and yes it was the IV4 and I have owned that mech for years so did the build, it's a riot.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

ok 2 mrm 30 are even better build

AN2:2:<1|Rg|i^|GP|GPpd0|Z@|NG|i^|GPqd0|Z@|NGr:0s:0t_0|HPu_0|GPv@0|GPw404040

https://mech.nav-alp...1faf6da_QKD-IV4

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 09 October 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#9 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

I still use the old build of all med pulse lasers set up in a left and right group. It's still affective but you need to make sure you get a good many of the range skills for it.

#10 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:13 PM

View PostSabertooth1966, on 10 October 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

I still use the old build of all med pulse lasers set up in a left and right group. It's still effective but you need to make sure you get a good many of the range skills for it.

This.

The Warhammer WHR-6D has edged out the TRD-5SS as the IS pulse brawler but it's still a beast in the right hands.

The TDR-9SE on the other hand... the poor TDR-9SE...Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users