149 replies to this topic

#21 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

What part of Clan tech caused issues in MWO? I'm really curious.

#22 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

Oh, just the parts where they tried to emulate TT values and feel instead of trying to provide a balanced game lawl.

#23 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,704 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

#24 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

Oh, just the parts where they tried to emulate TT values and feel instead of trying to provide a balanced game lawl.

I'm very illiterate when it comes to BT lore and TT values. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you mean the c-XL engines not being powered-up coffins like IS-XL and things like that?

Side note:- Maybe PGI should remove the restrictions on IS and Clan weapons so that any mech can use them, like the Roguetech mod. I'd love to use IS UAC20 or HGR on Clan mechs and try C-DHS and C-Endo on IS mechs.

#25 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:29 PM

There is nothing, short of a different CO.

#26 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:33 PM

What would bring me back? Five things:

1) A functioning match maker that prevents any chance of one-sided stomps by large units and allows small groups to get a match quickly.

2) Cheaters, exploiters and bullies kicked out of the game and publicly sanctioned by name.

3) Procedurally generated maps

4) Engine switch to Unreal Engine or Unity engine.

5) MWO2

#27 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:17 AM

Maps and Modes.

#28 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 October 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

The other parts of your post have nothing to do with esports, this one has more to do with lore than anything.

Less lore, more war.

Posted Image

That list is what hinders the "more war" part from happening.

#29 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

View PostDaZur, on 21 October 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

No disagreement. The Battlefield universe and in specific the Mechwarrior/Battlemech aspect of it is rift with aspects to include the board-game mechanics that render the IP as an absolute bear to attempt to create a balanced/equitable arena shooter... even more so as an eSport venue.

MWO as an arena shooter was doomed from day they brought in the Clans because of it... A certain level of balanced/equity could have been achieved with just IS but the inclusion of Clan tech just created a spaghetti monster of balance entanglement that just cannot be resolved by fudging numbers and quirking others...

Here's the rub. A Clan Binary facing an Inner Sphere Company (for example) could have been set up as the balancing standard for Clan vs. IS battles. But no, vanilla 12 vs. 12 was the chosen vehicle instead, and allegedly because the former meant one side was just plain cannon fodder. It was also not good for eSpurts.

My reaction? Posted Image

#30 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

GeminiWolf said:

1571703266[/url]' post='6296772']
I still play...but...
Removing Voting for Maps
Removing Voting for Mode, bring back Mode selection
Removing MM and bring back Random Drops (ELO)
Removing Tier Display so people don't play "race to Tier 1"
and finally....
Mech Knock downs!!!!!

I still play every one and then but this would help a lot and is easy to realise.
Just a bit „back to the roots“ please.

But as some mentioned earlier no dev is reading this forum so its just pointless to hope for or the wrong place to ask for.

Edited by Mumuharra, 22 October 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#31 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

I still play, but:

super fast qp queue for faction

+mech knockdown

double armor

reload and repair cost reinstated

classic server before clan mechs

Edited by Gantry, 22 October 2019 - 12:00 PM.

#32 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

I will give one simple change that should require very little work(development)

Start with Skirmish mode and give each side 3 different drop zones that each lance could end up. Right now it is bat Sh** boring that you drop in exactly that same two spot every time. It seems all drop zones are built to cater for disconnected or AFK players.

Even if it is a 90 degree rotation anything would be better than now.

I will give some example I would try.
  • 90 degree rotation from current
  • Straight line deployment , one lance close, one medium, and one far back.
  • Split, one lance far from the other two

One of my favorites is when playing a light is conquest canyon, if both teams alpha lances go at it makes the whole nascar disappear and a glorious if not short battle.

#33 Ajantise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

1. New Engine
4.New Maps
5.New game mods and weapons.

#34 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

View PostMystere, on 22 October 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

That list is what hinders the "more war" part from happening.

That list is a handful of lore items that were ignored to create a better game. lawl

Edited by Prototelis, 22 October 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#35 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostMystere, on 22 October 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

Here's the rub. A Clan Binary facing an Inner Sphere Company (for example) could have been set up as the balancing standard for Clan vs. IS battles. But no, vanilla 12 vs. 12 was the chosen vehicle instead, and allegedly because the former meant one side was just plain cannon fodder. It was also not good for eSpurts.

My reaction? Posted Image

Nah, having Faction play as Binary vs Company (having smaller numbers of OP Clan vs greater numbers of cannon fodder IS) wouldn't break the competitive side of MWO, everyone would just play clans mechs in symmetrical competitive play. What it would break is quickplay, where 85-90% of the population was playing.

What would bring me back to playing this game (outside of the 2-3 hours/week that I spend in private lobby practice)?

1. The annual free trip to Vancouver to hang out with the rest of my team. Other than that, there's no incentive to play this game anymore, literally done it all, won it all.

Edited by Vxheous, 22 October 2019 - 04:18 PM.

#36 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

1. New maps with no dam centralized feature of any kind to end nascar on one map.
2. God tier quirks on lct-1v and spdr-5v.

#37 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

View PostDaZur, on 21 October 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

Sorry... without lore this is just another cookie-cutter stompy robot shooter.

Wait... how many of those are there??

Wait....

And those arbitrary board game mechanics are effectively the heart and soul of the subject matter.

No those are boardgame rules, and most of them are pretty stupid as it is.

The problem isn't/wasn't the lore mechanics... It is/was the ham-fisted efforts to take an IP that has obvious and intended balance issues and create a level playing field where one doesn't exist.

No, the problem was lore consistently spoiling good game balance.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 October 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

So you're saying those undocumented/backroom meetings with the eSpurter at MechCon never happened?

Pretty sure they did. And what has been publicly made knowledgeable about those discussions.... a couple of balance tweaks and discussions regarding the eSpurts aspect of MechCon. No specifics though, because hey!, it was a back room meeting... for the eSpurters...

That's right, a few minor changes and some brief whispers of Esports.

So **** all.

View PostR79TCom1 Night Lanner, on 21 October 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

Oh I agree. Give everyone the same tech and same mecha. Get rid of any semblance of factions that we know and the story surrounding them. Just have a big arena where there's no point in fighting except to kill and not be killed. Basically do away with any substance that makes MWO a BattleTech game except for the pretty skins and words. Sounds like fun except it was tried with MechWarrior Tactics and the MechDad Lore-lovers had no interest in it and killed it. Jerks!

Cool, no one said anything like this. This is a 100-ton XL strawman you've built here.

#38 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

View PostVxheous, on 22 October 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Nah, having Faction play as Binary vs Company (having smaller numbers of OP Clan vs greater numbers of cannon fodder IS) wouldn't break the competitive side of MWO, everyone would just play clans mechs in symmetrical competitive play. What it would break is quickplay, where 85-90% of the population was playing.

What would bring me back to playing this game (outside of the 2-3 hours/week that I spend in private lobby practice)?

The annual free trip to Vancouver to hang out with the rest of my team. Other than that, there's no incentive to play this game anymore, literally done it all, won it all.

If I were in charge I'd let the winning teams each year design a mech variant and make it available as a Hero. Would require some significant back and forth and concessions to make it not super OP but also still desirable and fun (and worthwhile/memorable as a reward). Dual ballistic torso Atlas? Flea with JJs? ECM Bushwacker? Commando with a head laser?? Something like that would be a really cool reward, but hey it's PGI and I wouldn't be surprised if you guys haven't even received your warhorns yet

#39 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 22 October 2019 - 04:22 PM, said:

If I were in charge I'd let the winning teams each year design a mech variant and make it available as a Hero. Would require some significant back and forth and concessions to make it not super OP but also still desirable and fun (and worthwhile/memorable as a reward). Dual ballistic torso Atlas? Flea with JJs? ECM Bushwacker? Commando with a head laser?? Something like that would be a really cool reward, but hey it's PGI and I wouldn't be surprised if you guys haven't even received your warhorns yet

I remember there was talk after MWOWC 2017 that Proton might get a chance to make a Hero Dragon (cause he played a Dragon in the Grand Finals), but it never materialized. Would've been cool since it's not like the Dragon is OP without ridiculous quirks.

#40 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Kraken not having dual ballistic and all that armor was a waste, IMO.

I just wish they'd go back and flavor quirk the **** out of under performers.

I really don't care about a mech's lore-role, they often don't make sense when you see the design anyways. Just make it functional or fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users