#41 T e c h 4 9

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:49 AM

Here's something I don't understand:

Most people have no issue with these expenditures (these are examples here, insert your own if you like):

McDonalds to spend $10 on crappy food (literal waste of money?)
$10 for a pack of cigarettes (well, where I live anyway)
B-dubs for $50 of dinner and drinks (drinks could arguably be a waste of money)
$800 on the latest cell phone every year (when the one they already had worked fine)
$700 on a graphics card upgrade to get 20-30 more FPS (value?)
$100 oil change on their Diesel pickup truck that could've cost only $50 if they DIY (save $50)
and my list could go on and on and on.....

.....but then quibble about spending $20 on a game they enjoy (allegedly, since they are still playing and engaging in the community, I make that assumption).......because they question "how much longer the servers will be online". What??? Really?

If every MWO player spent, on average, $10 a month on this game buying something, they would be supporting the developer and increasing the likelihood of continued game availability (and content), and they would only have to give up McD's once a month.......hardly difficult. The point being that the servers stay on longer if PGI is making a profit. Pretty simple.

I have spent, on average, $40 a month on this game, since I started playing 4 years ago. To some, that may seem like a crazy amount of money to spend on a game. Maybe it is. It's also a crazy amount of money to spend (for example) on smoking a pack of cigarettes a week (the same amount of money I've spent on MWO) as far as I'm concerned, and MWO doesn't give me cancer (AFAIK anyway). So I don't waste my money on smoking, I waste it on MWO. And I know people that smoke a pack a DAY. So, I don't consider what I spend to be a "crazy" amount of money. That's how I see it anyway......

Edited by T e c h 4 9, 24 October 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#42 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

A lot of sufferers here of gamer entitlement syndrome.

#43 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:11 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 22 October 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

Well maybe you should point me to the thread that tells a different story. The last time Russ spoke about MWO and how long it would keep going, there was no definite answer there and they have shutdown adding mechs.
Even Matt didn't respond to how long the servers would stay up with the mech sales we get here. With no details coming from PGI, all we can do is guess.

Maybe the reason they are not answering that question is because they don't know! The continuance of MWO ultimately depends on the ability for the income it generates to fund servers, developers, keep the lights on, and some kind of profit. Russ and co have said repeatedly now that this all hinges on how MW5 performs ... and I assume that they are hoping for some kind of transfer situation where folks new to the franchise will switch to MWO when wanting to do PvP. Hinging all of this on "ZOMG they only renewed their domain for a year, therefore ded game" is silly.

Even if the servers were to shutter tomorrow they have a vested interest in maintaining the domain registration long term to protect the IP and the license. THIS is why I said you were reading to much into things ... it's a freaking web domain, not a business license.

#44 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

View Postnuttyrat, on 24 October 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

Maybe the reason they are not answering that question is because they don't know! The continuance of MWO ultimately depends on the ability for the income it generates to fund servers, developers, keep the lights on, and some kind of profit. Russ and co have said repeatedly now that this all hinges on how MW5 performs ... and I assume that they are hoping for some kind of transfer situation where folks new to the franchise will switch to MWO when wanting to do PvP. Hinging all of this on "ZOMG they only renewed their domain for a year, therefore ded game" is silly.

Even if the servers were to shutter tomorrow they have a vested interest in maintaining the domain registration long term to protect the IP and the license. THIS is why I said you were reading to much into things ... it's a freaking web domain, not a business license.

Hahahahaha. You think my response was about the domain renewal. It wasn't. It was about buying something that I won't have access to in six months. Can you guarantee that? no. Can PGI? no obviously. You really need to go back and listen to the AMA's where Russ is talking about MWO's long run.

Heck it may take my poor playing two months to just level one mech I could buy.
We will see if your still around to respond to MWO shutting down. I will be sure to remind you of this conversation.

What is even funnier is that you say they would actually take MW5 monies to help MWO. Heck we can't even get new mechs or tech added. Not to mention the bare bones development patch cycles. If they won't take the time to even continue adding road maps, which take no more than a dev meeting to make, what makes you think they would continue dev on MWO. MW5 is their new baby now and they ain't going back. They aren't going to turn around and work on MWO when MW5 is released. If you believe any differently, your delusional.

#45 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 24 October 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

Hahahahaha. You think my response was about the domain renewal. It wasn't. It was about buying something that I won't have access to in six months. Can you guarantee that? no. Can PGI? no obviously. You really need to go back and listen to the AMA's where Russ is talking about MWO's long run.

Please refer to my original quote of you, which was you extrapolating automated domain registration to the longevity of the game. That is all I was commenting on, not on the rest of your post.

Heck it may take my poor playing two months to just level one mech I could buy.
We will see if your still around to respond to MWO shutting down. I will be sure to remind you of this conversation.

Please refer to my earlier comment that equating an automated renewal of a domain to the longevity of the game is silly. I said nothing about MWO lasting for years and years, in fact the domain will likely be registered long after the game ends. Russ said in the AMA that he hopes to get 1-2 more years out of MWO, more if the game is able to sustain itself. Also during the AMA he said that MWO cannot sustain PGI at its current size (meaning that MWO cannot fund two development teams), so the success of MW5 has a bearing on this.

Not sure why you feel the need to "remind me of this conversation". Care to elaborate? What did I say, specifically, that makes you want to remind me of this conversation?

What is even funnier is that you say they would actually take MW5 monies to help MWO. Heck we can't even get new mechs or tech added. Not to mention the bare bones development patch cycles. If they won't take the time to even continue adding road maps, which take no more than a dev meeting to make, what makes you think they would continue dev on MWO. MW5 is their new baby now and they ain't going back. They aren't going to turn around and work on MWO when MW5 is released. If you believe any differently, your delusional.

I'm waiting to form any opinion on what the long-term prospects of the game are until after MW5 is launched and the dust settles. This maintenance-mode type development cycle was expected as per their AMA, same with the lack of mech packs. Maps are not as easy as you say, they certainly take more than a dev meeting.

As for whether they will shift production effort back to MWO after MW5, nobody knows. While they said that they are not done with mech packs I am not holding my breath there tbh. I would rather see them put effort into a UE4 port of MWO but I think we all know that won't happen.

#46 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

View Postnuttyrat, on 24 October 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

Please refer to my original quote of you, which was you extrapolating automated domain registration to the longevity of the game. That is all I was commenting on, not on the rest of your post.

I meant one sign. Not the only sign and actually walked that one back because I read the underlying registrars entry.

Please refer to my earlier comment that equating an automated renewal of a domain to the longevity of the game is silly. I said nothing about MWO lasting for years and years, in fact the domain will likely be registered long after the game ends. Russ said in the AMA that he hopes to get 1-2 more years out of MWO, more if the game is able to sustain itself. Also during the AMA he said that MWO cannot sustain PGI at its current size (meaning that MWO cannot fund two development teams), so the success of MW5 has a bearing on this.

Not sure why you feel the need to "remind me of this conversation". Care to elaborate? What did I say, specifically, that makes you want to remind me of this conversation?

I felt like that was more like maybe 6 months to a year max. I didn't hear a 1-2 years. Maybe you can help out on which AMA that was. Saying it was a "great run" was the one I heard.

I'm waiting to form any opinion on what the long-term prospects of the game are until after MW5 is launched and the dust settles. This maintenance-mode type development cycle was expected as per their AMA, same with the lack of mech packs. Maps are not as easy as you say, they certainly take more than a dev meeting.

That was a Dev meeting for a new "Road Map" or what they plan to work on next. Not new map

As for whether they will shift production effort back to MWO after MW5, nobody knows. While they said that they are not done with mech packs I am not holding my breath there tbh. I would rather see them put effort into a UE4 port of MWO but I think we all know that won't happen.

You have been here long enough to know that what they promise and what is delivered. ALWAYS differs.

#47 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 24 October 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

I felt like that was more like maybe 6 months to a year max. I didn't hear a 1-2 years. Maybe you can help out on which AMA that was. Saying it was a "great run" was the one I heard.

Listen to the AMA from this timestamp (takes about 2-3 min to answer):

https://youtu.be/zCIjC6oK3D8?t=911

I thought that he had said 1-2 years (still looking for it) but he said "for many years to come". That timestamp also brings up some of the other things I mentioned.

#48 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 24 October 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

That was a Dev meeting for a new "Road Map" or what they plan to work on next. Not new map

Sorry I misunderstood due to a slight spelling mistake. It's a "roadmap" ... not a road map.

#49 Karazu6401

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:26 PM

Is the bundle can only be bought as a gift?.

Is there a problem to buy the bundle and use the code myself?

#50 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:33 PM

No problem, Karazu, you're perfectly fine to redeem the code for your own account.

#51 AnHell86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 106 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:30 AM

I have been having some fun with MWO lately - but the ROFL stomps, NASCAR and and tier mixiups due to lower population are very apparent. I am still not sure if 13 USD is a smart investment - or is it? :) Still undecided...

I would be more inclined to shell out the monies on MW5 if the reviews are OK.

#52 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:25 AM

View PostT e c h 4 9, on 24 October 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

If every MWO player spent, on average, $10 a month on this game buying something, they would be supporting the developer and increasing the likelihood of continued game availability (and content), and they would only have to give up McD's once a month.......hardly difficult. The point being that the servers stay on longer if PGI is making a profit. Pretty simple.

You obviously weren't around in 2014-2015 when many of us were in fact doing this, but PGI then turned around and spent that money on trying to launch another game called 'Transverse.' That's when the trust problems with Russ really began.

https://www.crowdfun...refund-process/

So no, been there and done that, and got burned.

View Postnuttyrat, on 24 October 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Listen to the AMA from this timestamp (takes about 2-3 min to answer):

https://youtu.be/zCIjC6oK3D8?t=911

I thought that he had said 1-2 years (still looking for it) but he said "for many years to come". That timestamp also brings up some of the other things I mentioned.

Russ said that MWO's future hinged on the success of MW5, and that he hoped that we might get 2-3 years more out of it, but needed the remaining player base to buy more mech paks.

NEVER take anything Russ says at face value. Period.

#53 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

Bla bla this, Bla bla that...

I am just glad we can still play this game and it's actually playable after all those years! :)

Just look at the poor people that spent waaay too much cash on a game called Star Citizen that uses the same engine as MWO and what they have got after !!! 6 years !!! of development!

I can tell you it's not pretty, while the costs and investment made by the player base is VERY HIGH :(

Soo let's stop the bitchin' and enjoy this game while we still can! ;)

#54 The Man with the Plan

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

I would love a mech bay sale too Posted Image

Edited by The Man with the Plan, 25 October 2019 - 10:14 AM.

#55 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

Here's something I don't understand:

Most people have no issue with these expenditures (these are examples here, insert your own if you like):

McDonalds to spend $10 on crappy food (literal waste of money?)
$10 for a pack of cigarettes (well, where I live anyway)
$800 on the latest cell phone every year (when the one they already had worked fine)
$700 on a graphics card upgrade to get 20-30 more FPS (value?)
$100 oil change on their Diesel pickup truck that could've cost only $50 if they DIY (save $50)
and my list could go on and on and on.....

.....but then quibble about spending $20 on a game they enjoy (allegedly, since they are still playing and engaging in the community, I make that assumption).......because they question "how much longer the servers will be online". What??? Really?

I have spent, on average, $40 a month on this game, since I started playing 4 years ago. To some, that may seem like a crazy amount of money to spend on a game. Maybe it is. It's also a crazy amount of money to spend (for example) on smoking a pack of cigarettes a week (the same amount of money I've spent on MWO) as far as I'm concerned, and MWO doesn't give me cancer (AFAIK anyway). So I don't waste my money on smoking, I waste it on MWO. And I know people that smoke a pack a DAY. So, I don't consider what I spend to be a "crazy" amount of money. That's how I see it anyway......

I've always been very against paying regular amounts to play a game. Back when WoW came out, I refused to pay a monthly fee. That said, when I started playing this last Nov, I freaking loved it and still do, though I originally didn't intend to spend any money here, either.

I told myself some time ago that if I'd be happy to spend $1000 or so on a new rifle project, and I'm playing MWO a lot more than I'm shooting these days, then I may as well spend money on this too. I invest a lot of time into this game, so I may as well enhance my enjoyment. Also, it supports the developers and will hopefully contribute to continued content.

Edited by Renzor the Red, 25 October 2019 - 06:08 PM.

#56 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

Not to aggravate... but I can't stop thinking about this...

what the heck is B-dubs?

#57 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 25 October 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

what the heck is B-dubs?

Buffalo Wild Wings, an American chain restaurant.

#58 T e c h 4 9

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 25 October 2019 - 05:25 AM, said:

You obviously weren't around in 2014-2015 when many of us were in fact doing this, but PGI then turned around and spent that money on trying to launch another game called 'Transverse.' That's when the trust problems with Russ really began.

That would be correct. I started playing MWO in Dec. 2015.

I don't see why it would matter if PGI was going to start development on another game. I look at it this way: if the product was not acceptable as-is when the person spent money on it, then maybe the person spending the money on the product should wait until the product is acceptable, and then spend the money. I don't even care about "promises made" and such, because purchasing a product based on some future state of the product carries a certain amount of risk. Risk, that if taken, should not result in getting upset with anyone other than yourself for taking the risk. I liken it to buying stocks.....there are no guarantees....

#59 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 25 October 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

what the heck is B-dubs?

YOu need to get out of the office more... or you never picked up on mIRC...

#60 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

For the record, I've never heard Buffalo Wild Wings called "B-dubs", and I'm in Colorado with a few of them in my town. Incidentally, as a restaurant, they are indeed a waste of money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users