52 replies to this topic

#41 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:57 PM

View PostSlaveLabor, on 20 November 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

"Hype train" is questionable, because veterans of the series have already bought or refunded MW5, so what's the target audience? Who could ever read this if he never heard of BT? Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:26 AM

I'm about halfway through, and I must say that considering the source material - big, epic stompy robots, the opening pages could not have been more dreary if they had tried. I understand that the protagonist is a mechanic, but that's no excuse to literally rattle off a list of star system destinations for 5 minutes. The macguffin he is searching for could not be more boring, either. An "MCU" for a Champion 'Mech's right leg. Wowzers, exciting! The importance of this doohicky is not impressed upon the reader whatsoever, and while there is a smattering of action by about page 30 (which is exciting albeit brief), it's a slog to get there. If an MCU is so important, why not describe the events that led to the disabling of the Champion first? Why not describe what happens when a 'Mech is improperly maintained, perhaps from the point of view of the mechanic fixing a pile of scrap that used to be someone's ride? I dunno, hopefully it all ramps up but right now I don't even remember the names of the characters. The only feature I remember is some chick had green eyes.

#43 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:01 AM

And here's the Mechlab, posted yesterday, haven't found any official post about it.

"Large bullistic *****".... that's the MW, everyone was hoping for, thx Russ!

Btw, I wonder why comments are deactivated.... ^^

Edited by Unleashed3k, 21 November 2019 - 08:19 AM.

#44 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

View PostUnleashed3k, on 21 November 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

And here's the Mechlab, posted yesterday, haven't found any official post about it.

"Large bullistic *****".... that's the MW, everyone was hoping for, thx Russ!

Btw, I wonder why comments are deactivated.... ^^

Man that does look mint, a shame the comments had to be disabled presumably to cut down on the whingy nobs posting from this forum and Outrage-HPG.

#45 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:09 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 21 November 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

Man that does look mint, a shame the comments had to be disabled presumably to cut down on the whingy nobs posting from this forum and Outrage-HPG.

Ignoring the Mechlab, this really looks like a solid MW game to have fun with.
[Redacted]

But tbh, every week a free game, uses less ressources, you can even start your games without ever seeing the Epic-launcher, that isn't something bad, compared to Steam.

And MS is spying on you, Google, nearly everything you do online, so who the F cares about the 10th spy...

I don't like RB, but i hope that MW5 will have a good start, because there are so many other people with passion behind this game, that it would be deserved.

Edited by draiocht, 21 November 2019 - 02:13 PM.
unconstructive reference, replies removed

#46 Odin Gunterson

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLa Florida

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

Hi! Spanish Translator fan for all things related to Battletech!
I'm finishing the translation to Spanish of this first novella in the MW5 Origins series.
Stay tuned!

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:34 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 21 November 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

I'm about halfway through, and I must say that considering the source material - big, epic stompy robots, the opening pages could not have been more dreary if they had tried. I understand that the protagonist is a mechanic, but that's no excuse to literally rattle off a list of star system destinations for 5 minutes. The macguffin he is searching for could not be more boring, either. An "MCU" for a Champion 'Mech's right leg. Wowzers, exciting! The importance of this doohicky is not impressed upon the reader whatsoever, and while there is a smattering of action by about page 30 (which is exciting albeit brief), it's a slog to get there. If an MCU is so important, why not describe the events that led to the disabling of the Champion first? Why not describe what happens when a 'Mech is improperly maintained, perhaps from the point of view of the mechanic fixing a pile of scrap that used to be someone's ride? I dunno, hopefully it all ramps up but right now I don't even remember the names of the characters. The only feature I remember is some chick had green eyes.

to be fair, its on par with some of the other battletech books ive read.

but to start it off with some guy chasing some girl. i mean its a teenage fantasy right there. are we going to spend the next 7 installments watching him try to get laid? i mean most of the people who care about battletech are in their 40s and are long past interest in such shenanigans.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 November 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#48 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

[Redacted]

LordNothing - I agree with your comments on the girl chasing and general BT writing style. I wonder if girl chaser might just be the character's juvenile personality? Nevertheless the novella had a plodding start. I shall read the rest this evening and no matter what, it's still a welcome story, pretty neat marketing in my opinion.

Edited by draiocht, 21 November 2019 - 02:59 PM.
unconstructive, off-topic, replies removed

#49 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:05 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 November 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

to be fair, its on par with some of the other battletech books ive read.

They are good but Far Country is the one I like most, Too bad it's not considered canon. (or is it...)

but to start it off with some guy chasing some girl. i mean its a teenage fantasy right there. are we going to spend the next 7 installments watching him try to get laid?

I sort of agree, leave the love triangles to Macross and Macross Frontier.

i mean most of the people who care about battletech are in their 40s and are long past interest in such shenanigans.

Not me my bitter anonymous person, I love a good love story, if it fits in with the context of the story, and not dare simply for the sake of being dare.

#50 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

I don't have a problem with the "love" part. He was chasing a component to get a promotion and while doing so meet a person he later realised he loves. Nothing that couldn't happend or felt forced. Also their relationship grew over time. I think it was at least 6 month before they could see each other again and there seams to have been several meetings. I haven't looked at the dates but at least a year should have passed?

Also they could have gone with them allready beeing a couple, when starting the novel, I guess they have a reason to start it a bit earlier to introduce the people that will become the players parents that get murdered at the beginning of the game.
Showing a bit more of the problems that brought them together.

#51 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostDar1ngOne, on 24 November 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

They are good but Far Country is the one I like most, Too bad it's not considered canon. (or is it...)

I sort of agree, leave the love triangles to Macross and Macross Frontier.

Not me my bitter anonymous person, I love a good love story, if it fits in with the context of the story, and not dare simply for the sake of being dare.

just not im my stompy robot fiction.

#52 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:37 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 November 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

just not in my stompy robot fiction.

Now, now, my my little lemon tart. MWO is a shared game, it belongs to all of us. And by proxy all related source material in that universe.

mmmmm yes

#53 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:15 AM

View PostDar1ngOne, on 24 November 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Far Country...isn't that the one with the Bird people? Tetate, Tatatee...something?
Anyway I think it is canon but most people think it should not be. To me its one of two strange books in BT (that I can remeber) with the one where a person from our universe travels to the BT universe.

Oh an then there is stuff like "Nebula California" and "TRO 1945" or "XTRO Royal Fantasy"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users