41 replies to this topic

#1 Jobalisk

• PipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:21 AM

Hey all. Not sure if anyone else is feeling this but the newer version of terra therma, and caustic valley/river city for that matter, are just not as good as the old ones, are we going to see a classic remake of these anytime soon like forest colony or frozen city?

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:53 AM

Lately I thought also that I would like to have the old map in addition to the new one too.

#3 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:41 AM

I'd like to see them added back in but I have serious doubts that it'll ever happen.

#4 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

Old Terra Therma wasn't better than the new version but it was good enough to have it back. Work on the developer side to do so is minimal. Since PGI is not willing at the moment to put any serious amount of work into MWO at this moment, let's at least get Old Terra Therma back to shake things up, please. The game is awfully stagnant at this point.

#5 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:10 AM

Agreed!

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

i never had a problem with terra therma classic and have no problem with its return. im utterly surprised this isnt a wall of 'no'. maybe all the whiners who cant manage their heat and find hellscapes scarey all up and left the game.

#7 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

It was a bad map, and heat had nothing to do with it. It was basically just a race to the center, and then a painful prolonged match as the team that got there 2nd tried to force their way up through a choke point into a firing line and failed 9/10 times

#8 Imperial Porter

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:47 AM

NO!

As with any map with too many bottlenecks, it takes a good chunk of skill out of the game.

Edited by Imperial Porter, 12 November 2019 - 09:49 AM.

#9 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:50 AM

Yes, please add the original Tera Therma to the map rotation.

It was a good map that was generally played badly.

#10 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

I liked some aspects of it. I liked the heat and the big pool of lava you could fall into. I liked the different layers you could fight from in the center too, it had a diabolical arena feel that could get fun if both teams got in there.

It had severe design issues though. Extremely limited in how much of the map saw play, dreadful choke points and so on.

No Nascar though, so there's that.

Sure bring it back, more maps is good.

I never understood why pgi insists on only having one map of each kind, why not use those assets and make a few variations of each type of environment? Seems very inefficient to develop a whole asset set and only use it once.

#11 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

Sounds fine to me, but almost no one votes for the new Terra Therma when it comes up, so its not like we will see it after the first weekend. Would be fun though for running a stealth flea/locust with black camo.

Edit- typeo

Edited by Vorpal Puppy, 12 November 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#12 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

I personally would like to see Terra Therma classic back in the rotation.
While the volcanic hub is still in the new map, it's not a spot players generally go near.
Any map has a rush to the center and there were enough different pathways into the volcano to work with as well as flanking around one side.
Assault was probably the mission that suffered the most on the map as the terrain made it more likely for teams to completely miss each other in a base rush. Given the right hand arc that teams tend to follow this is entirely possible on any map anyway so I don't see this as a good enough reason to not include the map again.
The fight around the central volcano would provide a different experience to any of the other maps we have at present and there would be new players in the game at the moment that never got to play on the original map.
At this point I would vote yes to add it back in just to have something added in to the game.

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 November 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

maybe all the whiners who cant manage their heat and find hellscapes scarey all up and left the game.

Good riddance to those macaroons.

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 12 November 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

… no one votes for ...

Ah, "voting". That is another one of those really terrible ideas espoused by those macaroons.

Edited by Mystere, 12 November 2019 - 05:44 PM.

#14 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 12 November 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

It was a bad map, and heat had nothing to do with it. It was basically just a race to the center, and then a painful prolonged match as the team that got there 2nd tried to force their way up through a choke point into a firing line and failed 9/10 times

If you have never had epic, desperate and pitched battles to gain control of the center, that's your problem. <shrugs>

View PostImperial Porter, on 12 November 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

NO!

As with any map with too many bottlenecks, it takes a good chunk of skill out of the game.

Same goes to you, I guess.

View PostDimento Graven, on 12 November 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

It was a good map that was generally played badly.

That's the key phrase, "played badly".

View PostSjorpha, on 12 November 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

I never understood why pgi insists on only having one map of each kind, why not use those assets and make a few variations of each type of environment? Seems very inefficient to develop a whole asset set and only use it once.

Apparently, they could not edit an existing map and save it as a different instance. At least that was the excuse given at that time. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 12 November 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#15 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 November 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

If you have never had epic, desperate and pitched battles to gain control of the center, that's your problem. <shrugs>

I have, but they very the minority by far. The vast majority one team mostly made it up there while the other team was only beginning to, and the first 2 mechs trying to poke their way up would get lolrekt by most of the enemy team already up there. After they died, then next 2-3 would take their place and proceed to follow suit...then the next. Occasionally 2 l33t snipers would decide to go around to the next point of entry, but by the time they got there their team is usually 4+ mechs down, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

I'm not saying it's the only way to play this map, nor was it the only way it played out. But unfortunately in the vast....vast majority of drops that's how it was, and how it would be today too. Maybe I'm wrong, f*** maybe the 2 teams will just do wide nascars around the mountain, today that's possible too........yay?

#16 Jobalisk

• PipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:18 PM

I fully agree with Mystere. The bottlenecks and pitched battles around the hub are what made the map good. Its easily one of the most memorable maps for me in the entire game because of it. Besides, the whole point of the bottleneck thing is it meant the lights really did something cause they were the only ones fast enougth to get round the back and hit the enemy from behind.

#17 Jobalisk

• PipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:23 PM

I’ve made a petition here. Not sure how much good it will do but please sign it anyway and we’ll see where it goes.
https://www.thepetit...herma-classic./

#18 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 12 November 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

I have, but they very the minority by far. The vast majority one team mostly made it up there while the other team was only beginning to, and the first 2 mechs trying to poke their way up would get lolrekt by most of the enemy team already up there. After they died, then next 2-3 would take their place and proceed to follow suit...then the next. Occasionally 2 l33t snipers would decide to go around to the next point of entry, but by the time they got there their team is usually 4+ mechs down, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

I'm not saying it's the only way to play this map, nor was it the only way it played out. But unfortunately in the vast....vast majority of drops that's how it was, and how it would be today too. Maybe I'm wrong, f*** maybe the 2 teams will just do wide nascars around the mountain, today that's possible too........yay?

Could say something similar for any of the maps.
Alpine Peaks used to be a race up the mountain and a fight in that slope. Occasionally there would be some movement on the high or low side.
River City. Typically a fight at the citadel but can see action in upper city or the airfield.
Forest Colony new. Fight at the plateau.
Tourmaline Desert. Fight around the stage and dropship.
etc

It's up to us as the players to do something different (and hope everyone else on the team says 'ok')

#19 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 November 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

That's the key phrase, "played badly".
Yep, totally agree. Too many potatoes have gravitated their way into T3/T2/T1 playing a good map in their horrible potato way, blaming the map.

Kind of like Alpine Peaks.

Apparently, they could not edit an existing map and save it as a different instance. At least that was the excuse given at that time. Posted Image
Yeah, Paul/Russ wonders why our opinion of them is so low...

Edited by Dimento Graven, 12 November 2019 - 09:33 PM.

#20 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:56 PM

Re Alpine Peaks.

I never ever recall that map having a problem with NASCAR. Is it one of the few maps where that doesn't happen?
I recall plenty of fights on the ski slopes or trying to fight around the radio tower, the odd move through the valley before the drop locations changed.
Now it's mostly fights in the valley around those hills with the odd position being taken on the ridge of the ski slopes.
No more fights around the radio tower.

Having the drop zones alternate with each map (as was suggested years ago) would be good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users