94 replies to this topic

#1 WizardofOz

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

ok I am a lousy MWO player. Watching YouTube videos, trying to adjust my playstyle, try a lot of mechs, but still I barely survive a game. Now I found a solution for someone who is not able to play the game.

MC II 4xC-LRM20 boat. Suddently damage beyond 1000 and muliple kills in a game. Most of the time I am on the winning side. Now I am close to Tier 2.

I realized that the number of LRM boats decreased since MWO started, but for me it seems to be the perfect match. I do not understand why not more people doing something like this. Or maybe I score so good because not everyone is doing this Posted Image

But it feels like cheating, because I am still not good in any other mech without LRMs. Just wait for a target turn into the right position and hit the trigger.

What do you think about that?Posted Image How did you improve your game in different mechs?

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

Well this thread isn't gonna end well...

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

Most players are busy with mw5 at least the ones that got it early. I learned lrms way back 2012-13 in the mwo closed beta using Catapults. They've been my go-to mechs for years. Lrm use has gone down a lot due to ams,ecms,nerfs to the targeting reticle, the forced change to lrm arc from los etc.

The mkmc2 is just a bigger catapult with that lrm only build. Once you start getting into matches where there is a lot of ams,ecm use you'll want back up weapons and equipment.

As for learning new mechs without lrms your best bet is getting a mech that suits your way of playing. I've mastered light mechs of almost every is type. Not a big fan or user of clan but I got a few clankers. For lrm use you might go to Heavies and Catapult C4. Mount 2x lrm 10 then 2x of any other missile type along with 2meds lasers. You'll learn the different missile types while having a very good mech with a lot of options for missile and laser combinations. You can also save a lot of space bucks with engines in the 270-300 range as is mechs can swap engines as long as the size is compatible. Fle and an xl 270 would be two good engines.

Since the Cat C4 has 4x missile points it'll play very similar to the mcmk2. It'll let you use nearly any energy weapon in the two ct hard points while still using lrms.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 November 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

Well this thread isn't gonna end well...

True but will take a stab. An LRM boat ran by someone with at some experience will seem great (or cheating) when said player is in the lower tiers. Unless you were seeded high when Elo>Tier/PSR went live, you are likely either in Tier 3, maybe still Tier 4 based on your overall scoring (Jarls list), meaning you are still being grouped with relatively new/inexperienced players on boht sides.

You currently have a high avg MS for the November, and part of that is due to LRM damage spread. Keep going though, eventually you will rise up in Tier where there are more AMS/ECM and/or players who make better use of coverage. Enjoy while you can.

#5 A Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Alaska foaming at the mouth

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

View PostWizardofOz, on 27 November 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

Hi,

ok I am a lousy MWO player. Watching YouTube videos, trying to adjust my playstyle, try a lot of mechs, but still I barely survive a game. Now I found a solution for someone who is not able to play the game.

MC II 4xC-LRM20 boat. Suddently damage beyond 1000 and muliple kills in a game. Most of the time I am on the winning side. Now I am close to Tier 2.

I realized that the number of LRM boats decreased since MWO started, but for me it seems to be the perfect match. I do not understand why not more people doing something like this. Or maybe I score so good because not everyone is doing this Posted Image

But it feels like cheating, because I am still not good in any other mech without LRMs. Just wait for a target turn into the right position and hit the trigger.

What do you think about that?Posted Image How did you improve your game in different mechs?

It is cheating because it's not you doing the work, your making the game do the work for you. Needing the game to do the work for you instead of learning to lead your targets is disgusting.

#6 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:29 PM

I bought myself an MCII purely for the lurmingness of it.

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:03 PM

I think the mc2 is most of the reasons . It's a great mech :)

#8 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:30 PM

View PostA Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun, on 27 November 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

It is cheating because it's not you doing the work, your making the game do the work for you. Needing the game to do the work for you instead of learning to lead your targets is disgusting.

Take ams with the 2 ams nodes to reduce the damage until you moved to the next cover, take radarderp to max the effect and you will have no problem.
But if you walk in the open, dont take the counters, dont look for uavs or dont shoot at spotters, its not the weapon ...

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

Stay with the Mad Cat but use the IIB with 2 UAC10 and 2 UAC5. Easy 900+ damage games as well. Plus, you don't have to feel guilty about it Posted Image

#10 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:19 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 November 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Stay with the Mad Cat but use the IIB with 2 UAC10 and 2 UAC5. Easy 900+ damage games as well. Plus, you don't have to feel guilty about it Posted Image

Well.. the Mad Cat 2UAC10 2UAC5 is so cheesy that you perhaps should...

That silly loadout double-alpha strikes for 60 damage every 2 seconds. UAC5 and UAC10 should have been in the same ghost heat group.

#11 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:48 AM

View PostA Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun, on 27 November 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

Sir, you got a VERY strange definition of cheating...

Everything a game allows by it's rules is valid and free to use without any artificial restrictions made up by guys like you.
If you don't like that the game supports a given playstyle, blame the game but NEVER the players going for that playstyle.

Cheating starts if someone breaks the rules for example by using software that aims for you. If the game however includes it's own aimbot like with lurms, it NEVER cheating.

Edited by Daggett, 28 November 2019 - 03:56 AM.

#12 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:02 AM

Hi,

Oh there are still a few warriors amongst us.. ;-)

My own journey was similar way-back-when, but then I didn't just start to be good with LRMs.. I mastered them.. I perfected them.. I discovered LRM bending (back when that was still possible)..

Then they were hit with multiple nerfs and run into the ground, but I still do good with LRMs.. it depends on the hour of the day, player composition and such.. sometimes you can wreck, sometimes you get wrecked.

I don't take the game seriously anymore.. it's on it's last legs.. so.. yeah..

Keep on Lurming..

#13 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:33 AM

I am really a player who loves LRM boats since 2014 but the great times are over.
For me they had their best time when the clan mechs arrived.
Now they are tamed and in a good position.
Not OP anymore but some times when everything is perfect they are still a blast to play and sometimes I come close to my max 1600 dmg game with the Supernova.
Fond memories.

#14 WizardofOz

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 27 November 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

As for learning new mechs without lrms your best bet is getting a mech that suits your way of playing. I've mastered light mechs of almost every is type. Not a big fan or user of clan but I got a few clankers. For lrm use you might go to Heavies and Catapult C4. Mount 2x lrm 10 then 2x of any other missile type along with 2meds lasers. You'll learn the different missile types while having a very good mech with a lot of options for missile and laser combinations. You can also save a lot of space bucks with engines in the 270-300 range as is mechs can swap engines as long as the size is compatible. Fle and an xl 270 would be two good engines.

Since the Cat C4 has 4x missile points it'll play very similar to the mcmk2. It'll let you use nearly any energy weapon in the two ct hard points while still using lrms.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a way. Right now I am going up and down through all kind of mechs. Seems to be a good way to go from where I am already are.

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 November 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

That sounds fun. I tried the DeadStrike with 2xUAC20. What nice but I had to me to close. But your suggestion ... Posted Image

View PostDaggett, on 28 November 2019 - 01:48 AM, said:

Everything a game allows by it's rules is valid and free to use without any artificial restrictions made up by guys like you.
If you don't like that the game supports a given playstyle, blame the game but NEVER the players going for that playstyle.

Cheating starts if someone breaks the rules for example by using software that aims for you. If the game however includes it's own aimbot like with lurms, it NEVER cheating.

That is a positive point of view. I like that. You are right instead of feeling guilty I should be accept how I can survive in that game. Some will do that with a nice brawler and other in a huge catapult. Posted Image

#15 S t P a u l y

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:06 PM

Vellron "in the mechbay, telling the techs to make sure my mech is dipshit-proof" 2005

#16 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

View PostWizardofOz, on 28 November 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

That sounds fun. I tried the DeadStrike with 2xUAC20. What nice but I had to me to close. But your suggestion ... Posted Image

That is just ghostheat hell... IF you want to do 2xUAC20 try B®oiler or HBK-IIC, both are UAC20 ghost heat free.

#17 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 28 November 2019 - 04:02 AM, said:

but then I didn't just start to be good with LRMs.. I mastered them.. I perfected them..

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Y'all need to look at your own win rates and average match scores before making claims like that.

#18 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 28 November 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Y'all need to look at your own win rates and average match scores before making claims like that.

Better than your posting accounts stats so far this season. It appears that you spend more time trolling than playing.

#19 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:57 PM

I miss back in the day when LRMs were designed somewhat intelligently. It wasn't until MWO happened that we had to start dealing with the Gib Lox mindset.

#20 A Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Alaska foaming at the mouth

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostKroete, on 27 November 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

Take ams with the 2 ams nodes to reduce the damage until you moved to the next cover, take radarderp to max the effect and you will have no problem.
But if you walk in the open, dont take the counters, dont look for uavs or dont shoot at spotters, its not the weapon ...

I've bought down a locust in a dual light gauss Rifleman 3C in close quarters with minimal damage, I've also brought down a flea, locust, and piranha all at once with a dual LBX20 sunspider with losing only 40% structure on a leg. If you have no situational awareness find a new game

View PostDaggett, on 28 November 2019 - 01:48 AM, said:

Sir, you got a VERY strange definition of cheating...

I come from a time when FPS games didn't have autotracking weapons, a time where you had to work for your kills or the game taunted you for sucking. which that type of crap is essentially in my view a dev approved aimbot, an aimbot and streaks in particular are one in the same, you point, lock, shoot, kill with streaks, aimbot point, lock, shoot, kill. Just one is approved the other isn't. LRMs and ATMs idc for, but streaks are built in cheating since no amount of open field maneuvering can save you from getting hit, LRMs and ATMs you have the grace of spread damage, streaks go for center mass just like an aimbot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users