#22 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:02 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 December 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

The AI is way better than the beta. Go to the discord, there's people struggling to beat the first 4 missions. Do instant action with difficulty at 100. The AI uses cover and focuses your damaged locations and focuses your main weapon locations.

Apart for the magic-spawn enemies, the game so far has been decent. I did that "Dig-site" mission and encountered an Assassin and a Griffin. Luckily, I was able to use the repair bay just as they announced the incoming dropship. I was in the 4 ML Javelin. Once I noticed how accurate the Griffin was, I stopped attacking the Assassin and took out the RT of the Griffin. It's good that I know where the danger parts are in some of the mechs thanks to MWO. If I had no knowledge of this, I definitely would've struggled.

#23 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:44 AM

I don't know if it was that mission or another but one time I had it that when I disarmed a Griffon the pilot stopped and ejected instead of running around like a headless chicken.

That or trying to flee should be the standart procedure for enemy mech pilots or tanks as well. You get damaged to a certain threshold you make a run for it.
Beside beeing a more realistic behavior I think it would also be quite interesting to see how that would change the economie of the game. Normaly you seam to have tons of stuff for salvage. That way it would be either less or you would have to make a choice during the mission. Do I try to go for the kill to get loot or do I let them go to fight a more dangerouse foe?

#24 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 December 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

iT iSn'T aBoUt ThE dIfFiCuLtY. ****.

It is for me. I want it to be more challenging.

Though we played some coop with 3 of us and 100 difficulty. Some missions you can breeze through but there was a couple we almost got wiped on, if the AI all ends up in the same place suddenly **** gets real.

Admittedly I still managed to TK J a y twice so the mission was a success regardless.

#25 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 December 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

The AI is way better than the beta. Go to the discord, there's people struggling to beat the first 4 missions. Do instant action with difficulty at 100. The AI uses cover and focuses your damaged locations and focuses your main weapon locations.

If the AI coordinated to focus fire it'd be MRBC Div C difficulty, give them all good mechs and more like Div B.

The AI is reasonably balanced for the campaign given I have to pay for repairs. Even putting real effort into protecting my Cents arm I've lost that AC10 more playing all day yesterday then in 100 MWO drops. I managed to find an LB10X - I'll probably put that in the Shad because it'll just get blown out on the Cent.

Strip leg armor in instant action and you're likely to get legged out.

You've functionally been playing the combat part of this game at a competitive level for a thousand plus hours. Your success vs the AI is not indicative of the standard. Go listen in the MW5 Discord.

Having a hard time doesn't mean good AI.

Most damage you take is from mechs and tanks and air units teleporting 300 meters behind you and dishing out some damage.

From the front, most mechs and tanks drive in a straight line towards you, and very often stop moving and stare at you.

I don't know if you've noticed, the damage you take is not based on physics and aim, it's based on RNG calculations in the background. If the AI rolls a right arm hit, even if you hide it with your ct, the shot will hit your RA through your mech. Likewise, if the AI rolls a miss, even if you jump into the projectile, you take no damage.

Bottom line, the 'difficulty' is really just increasing the annoying occurrences of teleportation and un-twistable RNG fire. Is that good AI for you?

Edited by Nightbird, 11 December 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#26 Alfred VonGunn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:25 PM

View PostDieGruneMorder, on 10 December 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

I am to seriously believe that you cant change engines or equip ferro....double heat sinks either in MW5???? WHY???!!! Why would they do this!? It makes no sense!! Why in the hell would they take away any customization options?? Its the biggest reason these games are awesome.... Please tell me im missing something, because this is ridiculous.......

CHanging Engines is lame.. Ferro and Doubles dont even exsist yet in the time line.. they are lost tech which is what the IE guys are looking for...Just like Thankfully no damn Clans or OPs min max builds

#27 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:52 PM

View PostNightbird, on 11 December 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

Having a hard time doesn't mean good AI.

Most damage you take is from mechs and tanks and air units teleporting 300 meters behind you and dishing out some damage.

From the front, most mechs and tanks drive in a straight line towards you, and very often stop moving and stare at you.

I don't know if you've noticed, the damage you take is not based on physics and aim, it's based on RNG calculations in the background. If the AI rolls a right arm hit, even if you hide it with your ct, the shot will hit your RA through your mech. Likewise, if the AI rolls a miss, even if you jump into the projectile, you take no damage.

Bottom line, the 'difficulty' is really just increasing the annoying occurrences of teleportation and un-twistable RNG fire. Is that good AI for you?

Except I'm not taking damage behind cover and I'm absolutely shielding with my left arm on the Cent, it's absolutely soaking the bulk of damage. I've watched enemy shots get stopped by terrain. However it's possible some attacks are RNG. We'll know when the mod tools drop.

A good AI to me is one that provides a reasonable challenge. There's a steady supply of people on the Discord saying it's too hard so I dunno.

I played all day, had issues with close enemy spawns on 2, maybe 3 drops out of dozens. Seems map related. Would be good to push spawns out further.

I'm curious to see what the modding tools let us do. I'd happily give up the physics on trees, rocks and ice chunks for better AI decisions and such. Pathfinding and terrain awareness is more of a PITA (at least on other games I've modded) so I'm just glad to see that's largely functional already.

#28 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:22 PM

View PostAlfred VonGunn, on 11 December 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

OPs min max builds

Wrong again lol; some of the stock mechs are very min-maxed.

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 December 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

It is for me. I want it to be more challenging.

That doesn't mean the majority of the mech roster has to be bad on purpose; or that they have to gate customization because the poorly balanced source material needs to.

Locked ferro/endo is cool. Not a big deal; but the low hardpoint count and forced bracketing on many of the mechs makes them completely pointless.

Theres also plenty of mechs that have ridiculously low armor, ammo in dumb places, etc etc etc.

Edited by Prototelis, 11 December 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#29 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 December 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

That doesn't mean the majority of the mech roster has to be bad on purpose; or that they have to gate customization because the poorly balanced source material needs to.

Not like the full customized BS.. the weapons might be but they always have a down side. ie.. crap armor, not enough heat sinks or ammo, slow movement or torso movement things like that... the full on BS just suck the fun and skill out of the game...

#30 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:27 PM

View PostAlfred VonGunn, on 11 December 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

suck the fun and skill out of the game...

lol, sucks the skill out. Hahahahaha.

#31 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 December 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Locked ferro/endo is cool. Not a big deal; but the low hardpoint count and forced bracketing on many of the mechs makes them completely pointless.

Theres also plenty of mechs that have ridiculously low armor, ammo in dumb places, etc etc etc.

Lore.

I get that lore isn't your jam. However that's a big piece of Battletech. 30 years of lore. I don't disagree on mechs but that's something suitable for a mod, it's not unreasonable that PGI did the mechs according to lore. Again, there people in Discord struggling to beat the Spider you fight originally and joystick issues are the biggest complaint.

#32 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:44 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 December 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

lol, sucks the skill out. Hahahahaha.

refering to the MAx min 1 shot monsters... and those are not fun to play against.. When a bad shot from one can still cripple... But that s the other game.. I just never enjoyed one shot one kill in these kinds of games. Not even if I had teh one shot

#33 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 December 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

Lore.

I get that lore isn't your jam. However that's a big piece of Battletech. 30 years of lore.

Concessions should be made for the medium to enhance the appeal and playability. You can have luore flavored mechs and variants that aren't *** because they have to be for board game balance.

But this is what happens when you let a board game be the de facto top level of canon and the shepherds are unwilling to innovate on the IP because of the small amount of guaranteed sales.

#34 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 December 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

luore

Is this a thing?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users