Mw5 Coop Campaign

31 replies to this topic

#1 SantaTheBest

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:58 AM

Hello guys,
I would like to understand how MW5 campaign work because I can't find any info on that.

I have see that people can join the campaign but I don't know if:
  • they can modify the mech you have
  • select contracts or give suggestions
  • follow the main story
  • do some managements
I would like to play with some friend but we would like to have all full control of the ship and lance.

#2 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:41 AM

Coop partners cannot modify the mechs. Only the host can modify the mechs which is a really bad system. You basically have to do all the customization work, the buying, and the selling while your friends just sit there doing nothing. They should allow coop partners to buy and modify mechs. Afterwards, they can request approval from host to make the changes.

Edited by Belkor, 11 December 2019 - 06:54 AM.

#3 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:42 AM

All they can is ride the 'Mech. Thats it. Very disappointed.

#4 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:48 AM

So your campaign is yours. Coop in campaign is them doing a hotseat for your AI companions. Otherwise I could plop down in my Sleipnir and just breeze you through high paying missions.

If you want to play around with friends in whatever the custom mission coop instant action is good fun. Pick world, setting, mission and AI skill level and everyone gets to pick their own mechs to customize.

#5 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:56 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 December 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

So your campaign is yours. Coop in campaign is them doing a hotseat for your AI companions. Otherwise I could plop down in my Sleipnir and just breeze you through high paying missions.

If you want to play around with friends in whatever the custom mission coop instant action is good fun. Pick world, setting, mission and AI skill level and everyone gets to pick their own mechs to customize.

Don't forget missions have a weight limit if boosting friends through a campaign even matter that much. Ultimately, all this still amounts to very poor / cheap / low quality coop play especially compared to other coop games available these days. They don't even need a system where friends can pull in their own mechs to power through missions. All they need to do is allow individual buying and customization. An approval request is sent to the host afterwards.

Edited by Belkor, 11 December 2019 - 07:00 AM.

#6 SantaTheBest

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:57 AM

That's very bad to ear. I will probably pass on this game if it is like that.
We would like to play all the campaign together, otherwise is quite useless Posted Image

The idea with a coop campaign was awesome, at least they should have given the possibility to customize mechs.. with the components available to all players... I don't see any issue with that. The commander may be in charge of selecting: missions, rewards, etc.. but again customization should be in player hands.

Thanks all for the info

Edited by SantaTheBest, 11 December 2019 - 06:58 AM.

#7 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:10 AM

I guess I'm confused, coop works like they said it would. I don't get to magically transport my mechs and loadouts into someone else's campaign. My campaign is mine - whole point of the campaign is the struggle of running a merc unit. If all 4 people in my functional unit get identical payout and salvage then I'm getting 4x the reward from each mission because all 4 of my squad are like their own complete Merc unit.

I mean it's just throwing balance out for how the campaign and game setting is designed. You want to play with 3 friends with no real limits save self imposed ones play instant action. The campaign is a SP campaign built around struggling to scrape by. I played a bunch of coop instant action yesterday, it was great fun. The campaign is built around SP but people can hotseat in to replace my AI teammates.

I dunno how modable this would be, we'll see when the tools show up.

#8 SantaTheBest

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:14 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 December 2019 - 07:10 AM, said:

I guess I'm confused, coop works like they said it would. I don't get to magically transport my mechs and loadouts into someone else's campaign. My campaign is mine - whole point of the campaign is the struggle of running a merc unit. If all 4 people in my functional unit get identical payout and salvage then I'm getting 4x the reward from each mission because all 4 of my squad are like their own complete Merc unit.

I mean it's just throwing balance out for how the campaign and game setting is designed. You want to play with 3 friends with no real limits save self imposed ones play instant action. The campaign is a SP campaign built around struggling to scrape by. I played a bunch of coop instant action yesterday, it was great fun. The campaign is built around SP but people can hotseat in to replace my AI teammates.

I don't have follow any development process of this game but here is a simple thing.
You don't get a X4 reward, you have the commander (host) who is in charge of taking contracts, travel, buy parts, etc.
All Mechwarrios can ask for parts, or for mech, with the possibility to customize them taking all components available in the pool.

The struggle will be the same, probably even more complex and difficult.

That said is a shame something like that is not there

#9 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:15 AM

I don't expect my 'Mechs to show in the coop game of my friend. But what I expected (and yes I know, thats something I shouldn't have) was that I could run a merc unit together with my friend. Configure the 'Mech he gives me, vote on the next mission and such.

#10 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:24 AM

Why do you keep saying this? Literally no one is talking about "magically transport my mechs and loadouts into someone else's campaign.". All we're looking for is allowing friends to buy / customize their own mechs using resources available within the host's coop campaign. Afterwards, they request approval from the host.

#11 SantaTheBest

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostBelkor, on 11 December 2019 - 07:24 AM, said:

Why do you keep saying this? Literally no one is talking about "magically transport my mechs and loadouts into someone else's campaign.". All we're looking for is allowing friends to buy / customize their own mechs using resources available within the host's coop campaign. Afterwards, they request approval from the host.

totally agree, let's hope in some mod

#12 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:28 PM

I wished and asked for a more developed Coop mode 2 years ago, but we got excactly what I feared we would get.
Unfortunally since I am the only real mech fan among my friends, I cannot recommend them getting the game at the selling price just to be slaves under my command, and even if I did they wouldn't buy it.

I think we'll be doing RDR2 for hour online needs and I'll play Mechwarrior as a single player game

#13 csebal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:31 PM

After having played some 5-6 hours of coop, here is my honest feedback:

The core gameplay is fun / okay. It is fun to run around in the lance of my friend, shooting bad guys, but at this rate I could also be playing MWO, as I do not get to experience anything of the game besides that.

In fact, I am bored out of my skull while my buddy is fiddling around in all the menus, and I cannot even look at things like contracts, market, mech setup to give him suggestions - let alone see what he does. All I get to do is sit there patiently until the next mission starts, either walking around aimlessly in the hangar or staring at the one dashboard with all kinds of buttons that I cannot press.

To make coop actually fun and engaging for guests as well, we should really have:
- Tier 0: Access to all game menus the host has, so that we can check inventory, fitting, barracks, available candidates, market, starmap and potential contracts, intel, etc.. Even if you do not allow guests to actually interact with the world beyond information gathering, it would already allow me to be a more active participant in the game between missions and would actually speed things up, as I could check out missions, while he fixes mechs and stuff.
- Tier 1: Have the guests follow the host around in menus. So whenever I am not free roaming in the ship hangar, I should see the same UI the host is currently looking at, so that we can share the experience.
- Tier 2: Allow limited access to mech customization, so that we can also chip in to refit mechs, or live out our fantasy of having our private mech / mechs in the company that we rule over.
- Tier 3: Have co-op be an integral part of the co-op campaign, with the guests being part of all dialogue the host initiates, so we can actually experience the whole campaign together from start to finish. Currently co-op is more like an aftertought, an alternative multiplayer mode for those who prefer less random AI battles.

Edited by csebal, 11 December 2019 - 12:33 PM.

#14 mgto

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

Yes, +1 for more control for coop players. I want to see stuff and I want to edit mech loadouts!!

#15 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

So a bit more involved where players taking AI hotseat can make decisions, upgrade, spend money, etc.

I get it. You're also talking about something significantly more involved. No idea how modable that is but it significantly changes the nature of the game. At that point it's more like a coop experience akin to PULSAR (awesome game for coop).

I'm not sure that's on PGIs plate but if it's modable maybe someone's going to make it work.

#16 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:51 PM

"Hey I'm stuck on this contract and my wingmate AI is stupid, help me out?"

"Sure, I've got a minute"

/co-op

#17 SantaTheBest

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:13 AM

View Postoverheal, on 11 December 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

"Hey I'm stuck on this contract and my wingmate AI is stupid, help me out?"

"Sure, I've got a minute"

/co-op

So I waste time, even an hour, in an already infinite campaign? You can just load the prev savegame and do another contract. Most of people will do in this way.

I mean there are plenty of possibilities, some mentioned, some can be even more nice:
  • Hire a friend lance for 2 lance deployment contracts
  • Hire just a friend mech piloting is own mech
More difficult to program, sure thing, but com'on not impossible.

#18 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:19 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 11 December 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

I don't expect my 'Mechs to show in the coop game of my friend. But what I expected (and yes I know, thats something I shouldn't have) was that I could run a merc unit together with my friend. Configure the 'Mech he gives me, vote on the next mission and such.

oh and don't forget, you're not playing with your skills, but what your friends hired pilots skills are

did a contract with a friend for the first time, I was wondering what he was talking about, when he said he's going to switch pilots around for me, till I finally loaded in, and was wondering why my skills were so low, immediately requested to have his best skilled pilot under my name.

#19 SantaTheBest

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:05 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 12 December 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

oh and don't forget, you're not playing with your skills, but what your friends hired pilots skills are

did a contract with a friend for the first time, I was wondering what he was talking about, when he said he's going to switch pilots around for me, till I finally loaded in, and was wondering why my skills were so low, immediately requested to have his best skilled pilot under my name.

Pretty bad too, for sure

#20 Exinjeru

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:22 AM

Do coop players get anything at all for joining your game? Like Cbills?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users