Mw5, Don't Give Your Jester To Anyone

20 replies to this topic

#1 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

MW5 fun story for you all. What an amazing mech...with irreplacable parts! 2AMS, double heat sinks, limitless pew pew under your control...until you let Lt. Tonney drive it. The dude is smart enough to eject and live, but to hell if he didn't blow up the whole damn mech and leave me with a paint job and nothing else. Lost my AMS 18 months ago and just when I trusted him to pilot the mech again, he presses K and punches out facing a heavy with friendly lance mate support, losing the rest of the heat sinks and all my weapons.

I'm gonna fire him, I swear!

#2 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:40 AM

Never hire a pug.

#3 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

I sold some mechs I loved to pick up the La Malinche I found.

There is no way in hell I'd give any of my mercs drive it. In fact if I could I'd demand they shield their eyes walking past it's bay and not even look at it. 29 million, worth every penny.

Give your teammates nothing you care about losing. Ever. It's like pug drops. Sure, sometimes RNGesus smiles upon you and you get people with two brain cells to run together. However buying lotto tickets isn't a retirement plan.

If you're not driving it, take the DHS/good stuff out of it.

#4 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:31 PM

I hired some chick as my fourth pilot and gave her the Jenner that mining bloke used to pilot, the guy who ends up becoming your first team mate. Yeah. That 'Mech is in cold storage now because she absolutely trashed it. She would never follow orders and several times I found her far away from her lancemates on the other side of the map. Useless. She now pilots the Locust Of Inevitability

#5 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 14 December 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

She would never follow orders and several times I found her far away from her lancemates on the other side of the map.

It sounds like PGI has modeled the average MWO player perfectly.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

I hired some chick as my fourth pilot and gave her the Jenner that mining bloke used to pilot, the guy who ends up becoming your first team mate. Yeah. That 'Mech is in cold storage now because she absolutely trashed it. She would never follow orders and several times I found her far away from her lancemates on the other side of the map. Useless. She now pilots the Locust Of Inevitability

I know it's crazy, but I swear some of my pilots are super reliable while others,
"Peacock! Get your head out of your ***! No, you do not need to go and see what's on the other side of the valley."

View PostMischiefSC, on 14 December 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

I sold some mechs I loved to pick up the La Malinche I found.

There is no way in hell I'd give any of my mercs drive it. In fact if I could I'd demand they shield their eyes walking past it's bay and not even look at it. 29 million, worth every penny.

Give your teammates nothing you care about losing. Ever. It's like pug drops. Sure, sometimes RNGesus smiles upon you and you get people with two brain cells to run together. However buying lotto tickets isn't a retirement plan.

If you're not driving it, take the DHS/good stuff out of it.

got damn - 29 mill. Most I've dropped yet is 13.5 on a Firebrand.

and then saw it again in another store for 8.5 smh.

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:42 PM

i still got the guy you get in that one mission with the repair bay. hes pretty much fully leveled now. he is notoriously combat avoidant though so i give him the lerm boat. i got another guy whos kind of a leeroy, he usually pilots one of my srm bombers.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 December 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#8 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

MW5- Don't give the AI anything you actually care about because the AI is terrible

#9 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:04 PM

Proto beat me to the punch, but yeah don't give your lancemates anything valuable. That means no LosTech, no slow and hard to pilot robots, no asymmetric builds like a Swayback (unless you REALLY want to replace 7 Medium Lasers after every drop ... I learned this the hard way), etc. etc.

I'm still looking for a nice symmetric robot to give my idiots. A 6~8 Medium Laser boat will probably do it, but I can't decide between the Black Knight or Battlemaster.

#10 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

Defend this base no problem. AI pilots proceed to do there best to destroy the base before enemy does by running through all buildings.

#11 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:17 PM

Oh Ricky..
You're doing it all wrong.
You can't attempt to order a stunning & brave MechWhaman around..
You need to check your toxic privilege. Posted Image

I also put her in the Jenner and she trashed half the weapons & nearly got it cored out..

I just let her out of the Locust & gave her a Javlin that she hasn't busted up too badly yet.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

View PostIron Heel, on 14 December 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

Oh Ricky..
You're doing it all wrong.
You can't attempt to order a stunning & brave MechWhaman around..
You need to check your toxic privilege. Posted Image

I also put her in the Jenner and she trashed half the weapons & nearly got it cored out..

I just let her out of the Locust & gave her a Javlin that she hasn't busted up too badly yet.

all my dumb pilots dun been headshotted.

#13 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

Wish to hell I could find a post from years ago.
About a pilot I know called little leg Larry.
Now that was some funny sh......

#14 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:32 PM

View PostIlfi, on 14 December 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

Proto beat me to the punch, but yeah don't give your lancemates anything valuable. That means no LosTech, no slow and hard to pilot robots, no asymmetric builds like a Swayback (unless you REALLY want to replace 7 Medium Lasers after every drop ... I learned this the hard way), etc. etc.

I'm still looking for a nice symmetric robot to give my idiots. A 6~8 Medium Laser boat will probably do it, but I can't decide between the Black Knight or Battlemaster.

Honestly the best performance, by far, I've gotten is by doing this -

Give them 1 or 2 ranged high velocity weapon. PPCs are best but Ac5bf is also good. A mix of SRMs and MLs.

They'll do amazing at whacking down vtols and engaged vehicle kills.

Every time you see combat realize it's waves. So stop, command all 3 individually "go here" to make a wide spaced firing line. They will focus on staying mobile, shooting and not showing their backs in approximately that order. They'll stick generally to the commanded location but move to get shots and keep mobile to trigger evasion skill.

On "follow me" they're more likely to elect to relocate around you than take shots or protect their back and if you stop they often will too. Now I'm consistently getting 600 to 1k damage from them and getting rekt is rare.

On warzone, defense, Demolition or raid set them in a line ideally with a mountain behind them near the target location. When no enemies are around they'll blast objectives. On defense they won't run through the base. Stay near them so enemy spawns are not potentially on top of your squad.

I think of it like pug wrangling. You put some effort into managing your team and they'll do way better than left to their own devices, just the AI takes way better mechs and actually puts some minimal effort into following orders.

#15 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:04 PM

Huh. In my experience I'm the one who's normally beat up while my lancemates are pretty fresh. I just load them up with PPCs and LRMs and let them bust up turrets/vtols/tanks while I brawl in close with the mechs. Of course some missions in open field you can just sit all the way back with PPCs/ERPPCs/Gauss and nail everything from range.

I did learn early on to buy certain mechs (especially heroes) that give you nice stuff like DHS and gauss rifles. The Death Knell and K9 are money for DHS and UAC5s.

(just got a King Crab. oh lordy dual AC20s without no ghost heat.)

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:36 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 14 December 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

I know it's crazy, but I swear some of my pilots are super reliable while others,
"Peacock! Get your head out of your ***! No, you do not need to go and see what's on the other side of the valley."

got damn - 29 mill. Most I've dropped yet is 13.5 on a Firebrand.

and then saw it again in another store for 8.5 smh.

I bought a smashed up Grasshopper and lovingly restored it, only to find the same variant on sale as a rare an hour later. Rare my arse!

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:25 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 15 December 2019 - 03:36 AM, said:

I bought a smashed up Grasshopper and lovingly restored it, only to find the same variant on sale as a rare an hour later. Rare my arse!

I bought a Dragon as my first heavy, half-remembering some useful AC spam from MWO. It turned out to be able to carry an AC2, 2ML and a small LRM launcher. It was outgunned by most lights. I persevered with it for a while, but trying to take down a Locust with an arm-mounted AC2 is well beyond my abilities :-) I sold it, but if there had been an option to push it out through the airlock, I would have taken it.

#18 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:33 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 14 December 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

Never hire a pug.

This made me laugh more then it should have

View PostMischiefSC, on 14 December 2019 - 09:32 PM, said:

Now I'm consistently getting 600 to 1k damage from them

I know this is hard to compare and unfair and whatnot, but the number of times pugs have not cracked a 100 damage in FP with all 4 drops is still giving me pause to enter the mode

Edited by Peter2k, 15 December 2019 - 08:35 AM.

#19 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:44 AM

I baught an Oxide. Immediately replaced the double heatsink with a single. changed the weapons around to increase the armor. Then gave it to the pilot that had the best possible missal skills. So far she has done well with it and not gotten to beaten up. I havn't had to even replace a weapon yet.

Tonight I will see how she does with the trebuchet I just baught.

On a side not I also havn't lost any pilots yet "knocks on wood". I did have two get hurt though. I still have the free guy you get and have two I hired. One of them does tend to get his mechs beat up pretty good though.

Edited by Sabertooth1966, 15 December 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#20 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

I just played MW5 at a friends house (cant quite justify buying it myself with the epic crap and its a bit pricy for the sheer number os issues, but suprisingly, its actually pretty good with regards to combat.

That said, ive learned pretty quickly NOT to use certain mechs/builds, and never to give the AI anything useful (my friend's heaviest mech right now is 55t, hasnt gotten quite far enough to see heavys just yet). So one of the missions i did was a LV70 difficulty, and the 1st time i got trashed (all 4 mechs gone), 2nd time i actually tried some tactics and won it, but lost a lv3 LL which apparently is hard to come by early in the game, no idea where my friend found it, but there was a crab with 2LL and DHS in it which i chose to give the 1 guy good with energy, its probably why i won the mission (it had good rtange and seemed to be spot on at nailing partisans), but sucks to loose the arm and LL (luckily didnt loose any of the DHS which are apparently super rare).

Basically, when you are so early in game that the most tonnage you can put in a lance is 205 and the mission max is 340, you know its going to be suicidal. Won it by using almost entirely ranged loadouts and constantly spammed F1 followed by F3 so that the lance actually shot the biggest threats and then went back to a spot that kept them away from the bloody partisans line of fire. Partisans are like deadlier then anything below assault mechs imo (which ive yet to see), and the massive vtols with 2 ac10s are also scary if you dont instantly kill em at distance (believe it or not the best strat i tried against them at the level my group was at was spamming SRM-12 at 500m (the missiles just start dropping past the usual 300m or so, but still deal dmg). But yeah, if you force the AI to focus on genuine threats (and not the random spider circling the group), its really decent at killing stuff. Mission ended up with a shadowhawk stick (left with just the missiles), wolverine shot apart but still functional (lost the RA which meant i had to replace the ac5 and triple MLs), blackjack with everything fully intact (just little armor left anywhere), and a crab with 1 arm shot off, 1 cherry red, cherry red armor on CT but no exposed structure) and i lost my friend's only LV3 LL too which happened to be in the shot arm (other side only had a LV0 LL). The enemy faced was like 4 riflemans, 4ish lights that were at best a nuissance, 10+ partisans (probably what did the most damage), 4 super vtols, and more weak tanks/turrets then i could count.

So yeah, if you force your team to actually shoot the genuinely scary things, and dont use bad mechs, the AI is very good and can easily beat a mission way under tonned (205 in a 340 max in my case), but if you leave em in follow mode and allow a partisan to get within 500m, you are screwed.

Also, a bit unrelated, but ive also noticed that AI does way better with ~10 back armor on them on any mech that isnt a dedicated sniper (in which case 5 is usually ok), and that prefered mechs do not have easy to destroy arms with guns in them cause that just makes you replace the things too often. Also, early game it seems that SRM bombers are the way too go, a lowly 25t commando can do stupid amounts of dmg with a srm-10 loadout, and those even work at 500m against larger targets (it spreads and motors burn out, but missiles still hurt at said ranges). Not really worth buying at full price, but if the game ever goes on sale on something that isnt epic, ill probably get it myself since the combat is really really good, everything else, meh (should have just used the MLG voice to do the voice acting, wouldve been an improvement over the current tone deaf voice actors and super rigid models in the ship which dont feel human at all).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users