30 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:50 PM

I say "Some" 'cause out of all of my teammates (I have 6), only 2 lack any sense of self-preservation. It's a hidden quirk, I suppose. They run out in the open and stare at the enemies and then turn around to smile at me exposing their back.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 December 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

I say "Some" 'cause out of all of my teammates (I have 6), only 2 lack any sense of self-preservation. It's a hidden quirk, I suppose. They run out in the open and stare at the enemies and then turn around to smile at me exposing their back.

I don't know if they have actual personalities, but when I can properly open it I'll check.

Can you name them so I know who to not hire / fire as soon as I meet them?

(Personalities as in unique AI elements). They do determine what their tactics should be based on their loadout, however.

So try giving your suicidal pilot's mech to another pilot and see if they, too become suicidal.

If so it's the mech/loadout making them that way.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:04 PM

I don't remember their names 'cause how uninspired they are but I think it is Capt. Beatty for one and someone else.... I'll have to look for that guy's name.

I remember Capt. Beatty 'cause he has 28+ potential skill masteries (or however it is called) but he seems to lack any sort of self-preservation. Maybe I should put him in a slower mech. I have a Quickdraw that runs at 81 kph and uses MLs and SRMs. I used to run with it but now I'm using an Orion. So, I gave that to Beatty and he gets shot up pretty bad. Another guy used to do that in my Javelin.

#4 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

I ran across the same thing. Though I fired him/her late/end game already and forgot the character. This fool would run my prized stalker(at the time) stuffed with high tier weapons and DHS face first I to every massive fire fight they would see. It was bizzare to, none of my other pilots would try to face tank enemies like that,.needless to say after a couple missions that Individual was benched for wreaking my Stalker. He also seemed to not use his range properly especially with 2LLs and 1 lrm10s you'd think he's stay kind of back and if anything for close bring the srms and MLS to play. I dunno ai is kinda wonky(many times really bad)

#5 Button man

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

i have had one that died 3 times, i would let her stay dead but do not want to lose more resources replacing the mech/repairing cause of her stupidity..last time she got stuck on a rock and "could not""get down so she got left behind and died. I am seriously thining of firing her cause she is the only one who has died and the one who has cost me the most in repairs i think..blackmon is her name

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

Ah, it seems that a few of us have had the pleasure of suicidal teammates, much like the pilots in MWO who run up to engage the enemies and die in the first minute Posted Image

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 December 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

Ah, it seems that a few of us have had the pleasure of suicidal teammates, much like the pilots in MWO who run up to engage the enemies and die in the first minute Posted Image

The realism is strong! O_O!

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2019 - 08:19 PM, said:

The realism is strong! O_O!

I told you, man! The AI is good in this game Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:44 PM

I have one pilot that if I put her in anything but a Javelin, she is just crap. But in that Javelin she usually equals or out damages her AI mates running 60-65 ton mechs. And she has the lowest total points. There are some weird hidden AI-pilot quirks in this game. So far it seems the dude that I rescued very early game with the Jenner plays best by far in a HBK-4P.

#10 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 December 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

I absolutely agree with this sentiment.
Some are reliable and some are reliably unreliable.

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 15 December 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

I have one pilot that if I put her in anything but a Javelin, she is just crap. But in that Javelin she usually equals or out damages her AI mates running 60-65 ton mechs. And she has the lowest total points. There are some weird hidden AI-pilot quirks in this game. So far it seems the dude that I rescued very early game with the Jenner plays best by far in a HBK-4P.

hahaha

#11 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:47 PM

So far it seems the dude that I rescued very early game with the Jenner plays best by far in a HBK-4P.

Maybe it's based on weight class? I have that dude exclusively in a Medium mech and occasionally in a Heavy. He almost remains intact in a Centurion or a Jagermech but if I put him in a closed-ranged hit-'n-run based mech like a Jenner, he gets torn apart.

#12 Button man

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:54 PM

what is the name of that good female in the javelin? and ill remember to put that guy in a hunchback ..thanks for tip

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:32 PM

Just a heads up..
skipped to "We anthropomorphize" which is where it needs to be for what might be going on here.
"A suggestion of behavior is much better than a complex model. Brains will assume the complexity is there."
Good followup time index... A list of false assumptions about how much smarter the AI is than it actually was, taken from comments on steam for the game the speaker made.

The whole speech is really good if you get a chance to watch.

My favorite is the summary of a post that sounds like a summary of one of mine..
"<Various descriptions of complex hunting, evasive, and vindictive behaviors>" "...that I never wrote into the AI."

Edited by Koniving, 15 December 2019 - 09:34 PM.

#14 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

I have one that seemed too aggressive (Capt Thorne), had to keep him out of brawling range mechs, slower and ranged mechs he did much better, and less Leroy, damn that guy would just charge in there , till I gave him the slower and range mechs, I was constantly, press the command fall on me, to pull him back, the guy just would not sit still

#15 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:25 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 December 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

Maybe it's based on weight class? I have that dude exclusively in a Medium mech and occasionally in a Heavy. He almost remains intact in a Centurion or a Jagermech but if I put him in a closed-ranged hit-'n-run based mech like a Jenner, he gets torn apart.

Jenner's are just deathtraps I think - a friend of mine warned me of this after he had 3 mech pilots killed in his, including the Lt.

I realized I had quite a few close calls with him too, and simply downgraded the mech to a Commando (TDK), and suddenly had far fewer close calls.

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:15 AM

the Pilots have very differnt Behaviors ...im have a Pilot taths run to the Reds and ignored my Commands , with a "No, im can not" and set a Suicide Runner not in a Fast mech :)

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 16 December 2019 - 03:27 AM.

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:32 AM

I found the SRM Javelin to be a death trap for AI pilots. I think it's because it has to get close in to do any damage but has so few hit points that it then gets taken down before I realise what's happening and can call it back.

#18 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:44 AM

It depends on equipped weapon ranges. Those with long(er) range weapons like ppc, gauss, lrms, ac5s keep their distance.
Those with short range weapons will run to the enemies and then quickly die. Best way to get rid of an AI pilot is to give him SRMs and small lasers Posted Image
Those with mixed weapons (like an Atlas D) also keep the distance, then dakka away with the AC20 when the enemies get close. At least that is what I observed.

#19 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

What I find particularly annoying is they don't follow orders. "Form up on me" breaks the moment some srm tank squirrel appears over the ridge and they sprint off to meet it. I clocked a million c-bills in damages in one battle where my Grasshopper contributed ~10% of that cost. Now I only run with two lance mates in medium 'Mechs. They are bait while I plough through the imbecilic OPFor to whatever objective is needed. Then I run off to the evac zone and the mission handily ends no matter where my lance of morons has ended up. This way I keep my repair costs low, and losing a lancemate is fine. I just need to keep one reasonably nippy Heavy as my main that can burst down the mission objective.

#20 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

So far it seems the dude that I rescued very early game with the Jenner plays best by far in a HBK-4P.

Try him in a quick-draw with 4 Medium lasers, SRM4 and SRM6. He seems to do well in close range brawlers. Putting him in a warhammer with PPC's just doesn't produce great results even though he has maxed out his energy weapon skill points at 8/8.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users